• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I noticed in my September 2016 American Express card statement the bank name listed in my most recent AutoPay transaction shows "WELLS FARGO BANK, NA" instead of the name of my actual bank.  The ACH withdrawal was properly processed from my bank, however.

Did anyone else experience this goof?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes, over 2 million people with phony accounts at Wells Fargo.

whodunits said:   I noticed in my September 2016 American Express card statement the bank name listed in my most recent AutoPay transaction shows "WELLS FARGO BANK, NA" instead of the name of my actual bank.  The ACH withdrawal was properly processed from my bank, however.

Was your bank acquired by WF recently? Or did some branches of WF get acquired by some regional bank?

what about a DBA?

I'm not familiar with that happening with banks, but here in Aridzona, there are no Kroeger's grocerys...they bought out and keep the name "Fry's"

fwuser12 said:   
whodunits said:   I noticed in my September 2016 American Express card statement the bank name listed in my most recent AutoPay transaction shows "WELLS FARGO BANK, NA" instead of the name of my actual bank.  The ACH withdrawal was properly processed from my bank, however.

Was your bank acquired by WF recently? Or did some branches of WF get acquired by some regional bank?

Not to my knowledge.

I checked with a relative who has a checking account at a different bank and he experienced the same on his September 2016 AmEx statement.  August 2016 and previous statements the bank name is stated correctly in the AutoPay transaction description.

Thanks all for your replies.

Yeah, same here, and NFCU didn't get bought by WF, as far as I can tell.

donperros said:   Yeah, same here, and NFCU didn't get bought by WF, as far as I can tell.
  Thanks for this confirmation.  I am thinking some (ex)programmer at AmEx must have played some prank, though with all the hacking going on in the world I am becoming increasingly paranoid.

So what did Amex say when you called them to ask? You did call them before posting your question, right? ....

Same thing on my statement! Would never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

whodunits said:     Thanks for this confirmation.  I am thinking some (ex)programmer at AmEx must have played some prank, though with all the hacking going on in the world I am becoming increasingly paranoid.

Using autopay?  You're not that paranoid. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017