• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Cleaning out the trunk of a car I just bought and found over a dozen receipts from WalMart, Target, Kohls, JCP for mens underwear.  3 MENS BXR BRF and 1 MENS CREW, 2 HANESP BOXE and 4 HANESP CLAS, 2 JKY BOXER B and a JKY TEE UND, 3 MENS UNDERWEAR, 3 MENS BXR BRF, 3 MENS CREW, 4 HP SLIM CRE, 2 HNS XTEMP CREW and 2 HNS XTEMP BXRBRF, etc. That in and of itself isn't the bizarre part. It's that with almost all these purchases, I see receipts that he returns them. Is this some kind of MS scheme I haven't heard of?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The OP said he left the receipts (not the underwear) in the car.

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 11:08a) |

I've done this but not 20; maybe like 6.  

MrsDowFire (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 2:13p) |

True, but he did leave a brand new pair of Alfani dress shoes in the trunk that I have on eBay now.

atikovi (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 5:19a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.


He's a gnome, I presume.

Sounds like the same thing as the people who get 20 boxes delivered from a shoe store and then go and return 19 of them the next day. Maybe this guy is particularly choosy

My first guess is that he's laundering stolen gift card/credit cards somehow.

2nd guess is like above that he just buys a lot of clothes, picks one he likes then returns everything else.

I've also heard of people who's actual job it is to return clothes that are bought for use in a TV show or movie. The costume people will buy 1 of everything in every color and design, then they pick out a single outfit to use and then send a flunky to return everything else at the stores.

Was his name Mr. Pitt? I knew he did this with socks, but I didn't realize he did it with underwear too. Even crazier, he eats his snickers bars with a knife and fork!

Bloomberg had an article this past week about a new product that addresses needs commonly not addressed by men's underwear (or at least that's the claim): http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-21/men-s-underwea...

This product costs $31.95. Maybe the guy who sold you your car was trying to DIY something for a bit less

jerosen said:   2nd guess is like above that he just buys a lot of clothes, picks one he likes then returns everything else.
  Don't think you can return opened underwear so it can't be that.

Why is this guy typing in all the particulars of these purchases? Isn't enough to say I found a bunch of receipts for underwear?

I wanted to make sure you didn't think he was weird or something and buying womans underwear.

Underwear model?

Fortunately that wouldn't happen where I live... Our "State" Department of Health prohibits underwear returns, even closed bag ones, so ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

I just remembered there was a lady in Kmart/Target trying to return an opened bag of underwear.   The staff told her that those were not returnable.   Then she was quite mad and left.

Years ago I volunteered at a winter homeless shelter and our volunteer group supplied a hot meal every night, clean donated clothes and new underwear.  The homeless organization provided the cots, a trailer with hot showers and the staff to oversee the participants.  At the end of the 2 weeks of nightly volunteer work another volunteer group would step in and take over.  We bought new underwear in S, M, L sizes.  We learned that we should have also bought XL, XXL, XXXL sizes for both the male and female homeless.  We returned the smaller sizes and ended up buying lots of the plus sizes.

fwiw, volunteering at a homeless shelter was an eye opening experience for my family.  There were men driving in with BMWs, carrying briefcases and laptops and almost all of the homeless had cell phones.  Some were homeless, but not jobless. There were some white collar drug users whose lives were destroyed by drugs or alcohol and were kicked out of their family or their friends' homes and had destroyed credit histories or arrest records so they couldn't rent.  I sat down and chatted with a few of them and learned that some of them are not that different than us.  They were just one step away from destroying everything they had worked so hard for at one time and made bad decisions.  This was just a small percentage of those who used the homeless shelter but prior to volunteering there I had no idea.

are the receipts all from the same store, using the same payment card?

The obvious answer to your question is that he isn't buying them, he's shoplifting them then returns them using whatever matching receipts he finds in the trash.  Or he buys one while stealing one, so him being in the department looks legit if anyone is watching him, then later he returns one and keeps the "free" pair.

Why do you care? Do you feel like your missing out?

Guywhogetsit said:   Why is this guy typing in all the particulars of these purchases? Isn't enough to say I found a bunch of receipts for underwear?
  Combination of eidetic memory and obsession-compulsion?

Glitch99 said:   The obvious answer to your question is that he isn't buying them, he's shoplifting them then returns them using whatever matching receipts he finds in the trash. 
 

that seems...unlikely given the evidence presented. 

I suspect he was worried about the car causing an accident. Once he decided to sell the car, he no longer needed to always be wearing a clean pair of underwear so he was able to return it.

Clearly, he was a gigolo.

And a pretty low-end one at that. No Calvin Klein, 2xist, etc.


Nissan
Disclaimer
lonestarguy said:   I suspect he was worried about the car causing an accident. Once he decided to sell the car, he no longer needed to always be wearing a clean pair of underwear so he was able to return it.
  Actually I bought the car after he wrecked it. 

momoman said:   Years ago I volunteered at a winter homeless shelter and our volunteer group supplied a hot meal every night, clean donated clothes and new underwear.  The homeless organization provided the cots, a trailer with hot showers and the staff to oversee the participants.  At the end of the 2 weeks of nightly volunteer work another volunteer group would step in and take over.  We bought new underwear in S, M, L sizes.  We learned that we should have also bought XL, XXL, XXXL sizes for both the male and female homeless.  We returned the smaller sizes and ended up buying lots of the plus sizes.

fwiw, volunteering at a homeless shelter was an eye opening experience for my family.  There were men driving in with BMWs, carrying briefcases and laptops and almost all of the homeless had cell phones.  Some were homeless, but not jobless. There were some white collar drug users whose lives were destroyed by drugs or alcohol and were kicked out of their family or their friends' homes and had destroyed credit histories or arrest records so they couldn't rent.  I sat down and chatted with a few of them and learned that some of them are not that different than us.  They were just one step away from destroying everything they had worked so hard for at one time and made bad decisions.  This was just a small percentage of those who used the homeless shelter but prior to volunteering there I had no idea.

  
Every one of them has a cell phone and MOST of them have a debit card from a major bank so that they can collect money from either the government or relatives.  I have chatted with a few of them too.  The one I was talking to was a true "hobo" who moved constantly from place to place.  Sometimes he would go visit his kids and he was on some form of disability.  He was a "camper" so tended to migrate with the weather.   He could afford to hop a bus, when he wanted to relocate though.  

There are quite a few different "types" -- true homeless who panhandle in one area and don't move around are more common than the hobos.  The ones you mention with nicer (older paid for) cars and no credit are another "type."  They won't dump their car because its the last thing they have left of "the good ol' days."  

Smell the drivers seat.

Let us know if he had bowel issues.

scrouds said:   Smell the drivers seat.

Let us know if he had bowel issues.

LOL. Is it possible to give someone both a positive and a negative for the same post?

With this thread, I think I can safely say I have seen it all on FWF!

jerosen said:   I've also heard of people who's actual job it is to return clothes that are bought for use in a TV show or movie. The costume people will buy 1 of everything in every color and design, then they pick out a single outfit to use and then send a flunky to return everything else at the stores.
  How do they not get banned? Pick stores carefully or have some prior arrangement with select stores?

Is he returning them to the same store? He could be buying them in an area with lower sales tax and returning in one with higher. Can you see the payment methods?

next thing i would do would be to replace all the car seats and carpet...yuk some *** probably owned it.

I once bought a package of underweaar at Woolworth.  When I opened it, the package was one short, and upon closer examination, I realized that it had been meticulously resealed (the package was actually sealed, not like some underwear packages I've seen where the packaging is designed or folded in such a way that it's closed with actually being sealed).  Not that I think your person has opened, removed one piece, resealed and returned each package, but you never know if the person was doing something noone here would imagine.
 

People have been known to purchase an item, return to the store with their receipt, take the same item off the shelf, and attempt to return it.

bobley said:   
jerosen said:   I've also heard of people who's actual job it is to return clothes that are bought for use in a TV show or movie. The costume people will buy 1 of everything in every color and design, then they pick out a single outfit to use and then send a flunky to return everything else at the stores.
  How do they not get banned? Pick stores carefully or have some prior arrangement with select stores?

  
Do returns at slow times, limit the number of items being returned at one time, cultivate a relationship with the staff. Managers getting upset/turning away returns is the exception. Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/07/15/486230998/episode-7... 

Maybe he doesn't believe in laundry.

momoman said:   fwiw, volunteering at a homeless shelter was an eye opening experience for my family.  There were men driving in with BMWs, carrying briefcases and laptops and almost all of the homeless had cell phones.  Some were homeless, but not jobless. There were some white collar drug users whose lives were destroyed by drugs or alcohol and were kicked out of their family or their friends' homes and had destroyed credit histories or arrest records so they couldn't rent.  I sat down and chatted with a few of them and learned that some of them are not that different than us.  They were just one step away from destroying everything they had worked so hard for at one time and made bad decisions.  This was just a small percentage of those who used the homeless shelter but prior to volunteering there I had no idea.
 

The shelter is their home. No one in the US is "homeless".

Slickone said:   momoman said:   fwiw, volunteering at a homeless shelter was an eye opening experience for my family.  There were men driving in with BMWs, carrying briefcases and laptops and almost all of the homeless had cell phones.  Some were homeless, but not jobless. There were some white collar drug users whose lives were destroyed by drugs or alcohol and were kicked out of their family or their friends' homes and had destroyed credit histories or arrest records so they couldn't rent.  I sat down and chatted with a few of them and learned that some of them are not that different than us.  They were just one step away from destroying everything they had worked so hard for at one time and made bad decisions.  This was just a small percentage of those who used the homeless shelter but prior to volunteering there I had no idea.
 

The shelter is their home. No one in the US is "homeless".


Hiding under the stairs of an abandoned church building counts as homeless.

Slickone said:   
momoman said:   fwiw, volunteering at a homeless shelter was an eye opening experience for my family.  There were men driving in with BMWs, carrying briefcases and laptops and almost all of the homeless had cell phones.  Some were homeless, but not jobless. There were some white collar drug users whose lives were destroyed by drugs or alcohol and were kicked out of their family or their friends' homes and had destroyed credit histories or arrest records so they couldn't rent.  I sat down and chatted with a few of them and learned that some of them are not that different than us.  They were just one step away from destroying everything they had worked so hard for at one time and made bad decisions.  This was just a small percentage of those who used the homeless shelter but prior to volunteering there I had no idea.
The shelter is their home. No one in the US is "homeless".

  
You and I have very different definitions of the word "home".

bobley said:   
jerosen said:   I've also heard of people who's actual job it is to return clothes that are bought for use in a TV show or movie. The costume people will buy 1 of everything in every color and design, then they pick out a single outfit to use and then send a flunky to return everything else at the stores.
  How do they not get banned? Pick stores carefully or have some prior arrangement with select stores?

  The volume of net purchases is worth it to the store, especially considering that most of what was returned goes right back on the rack to be re-sold anyways.  "Return" rarely means "loss".

IBS? 

atikovi said:   
lonestarguy said:   I suspect he was worried about the car causing an accident. Once he decided to sell the car, he no longer needed to always be wearing a clean pair of underwear so he was able to return it.
  Actually I bought the car after he wrecked it. 

  Rectum, damn near killed him.

Skipping 10 Messages...
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
brokenscrewdriver said:   He left his underwear in the car. Tells you something about him.
The OP said he left the receipts (not the underwear) in the car.

  True, but he did leave a brand new pair of Alfani dress shoes in the trunk that I have on eBay now.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017