• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm considering a fairly major purchase and there are two retailers.  One has a fairly shady reputation and the other does not.  The shady guys, though are several hundred dollars lower on the price.

So, I'm wondering about the experience of others at Fatwallet with credit card price protection features and whether I could use it in such a situation.  I don't have a Discover card, but could use a Citi card with price rewind or a Chase Freedom card with price protection as one of the benefits.  Any horror stories, caveats, or other general warnings?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I assume the "good" retailer won't do a price match?

rated:
Nah, I haven't found anyone willing to price match the lowest prices I've found.  The shady retailer is known for ultimately sending the product (most of the time at least), but first calls and tries to upsell/add insurance/add additional delivery charge and the reputation is that if you don't agree to some, you'll wait several weeks for shipment.

rated:
Price Rewind only works with reputable vendors right?

rated:
I've used discover a couple times and have a couple more claims in process now. Mine are all $100 or less difference in price.

rated:
I have had great luck with Discovers Price Protection.

rated:
I've used Citi, Discover, and Chase. Discover is the quickest and least painful, Chase is second, and Citi, while it has the most generous policies, always involves a few calls to get it looked at.

rated:
I would suggest going with a card that has good charge-back abilities in case of problems. Buy the lower priced one but if there is a problem then do a charge back.

In situations like these I always go with AMEX.

rated:
elfrozo said:   I would suggest going with a card that has good charge-back abilities in case of problems. Buy the lower priced one but if there is a problem then do a charge back.

Terrible advice. Amex doesn't even have price protection policy on their cards.

rated:
TJtv said:   
elfrozo said:   I would suggest going with a card that has good charge-back abilities in case of problems. Buy the lower priced one but if there is a problem then do a charge back.

Terrible advice. Amex doesn't even have price protection policy on their cards.

He suggested skipping the price protection, and just buying from the lowest price store relying on Amex's chargeback process to protect you from any issues.  It's a very valid option.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
  He suggested skipping the price protection, and just buying from the lowest price store relying on Amex's chargeback process to protect you from any issues.  It's a very valid option.

Nah, not really a valid option. These shady sites won't actually ship at the low price they post on their site, regardless of what anyone tells you. The whole play is to use them as a source of price matching.

rated:
a similar play is to use the terms of the policies (citi's, for example), such as shipping not being part of the price or the matching. And find something Amazon has prime "free shipping" but the price is XX more than everywhere else, where the shipping fee is XX. Buy from Amazon, use price match for actual free shipping rather than the fake free shipping.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Buy from Amazon, use price match for actual free shipping rather than the fake free shipping.

"Amazon.com will price match eligible purchases of televisions with select other retailers.
For all other items, Amazon.com doesn't offer price matching."

rated:
robby69 said:   
Bend3r said:   Buy from Amazon, use price match for actual free shipping rather than the fake free shipping.

"Amazon. com will price match eligible purchases of televisions with select other retailers.
For all other items, Amazon. com doesn't offer price matching."

Not sure what you're thinking.... The thread was about credit card protection.  I said find something on Amazon that is shipping "included" shipped/sold by Amazon and then use Citi's (example) price rewind to match the price at other retailers where the shipping is separate.  Nothing about Amazon price matching themselves.

Amazon doesn't include shipping on everything (bulky items, etc), and on some of them they include a fake free shipping where they mark up their prices and "include free shipping!"

rated:
Sounds like you are talking about one of the camera shops in NYC.

rated:
You caught me while I was actually looking at the Freedom Agreement.

"If you purchase an eligible item with your Account in the United States and see a Printed Advertisement at any retail store or Non-auction Internet Advertisement for less within ninety (90) days of the original purchase date, simply file a valid claim and the Benefit Administrator will reimburse you the difference up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for each item."

Worth a shot for the price difference refund, especially if the 'reputable' store will work with you for warranty repairs.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   He suggested skipping the price protection, and just buying from the lowest price store relying on Amex's chargeback process to protect you from any issues.  It's a very valid option.

In this case, OP doesn't want to "wait several weeks for shipment".  Doing a chargeback doesn't really help in that case.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   Sounds like you are talking about one of the camera shops in NYC.
  It's been tempting to upgrade my projector using that method.  $2999 faux-K projector everywhere is $2500-$2700 at NYC camera shops on google.  Buy at BBY, potentially ~5% (depending on promo) in rewards back, then get potentially $500 from CC, and it would be around $2350.

Clearly that would be outright exploiting the whole system here, though....  Plus it'd still be $2350, which is more than $0 not buying it.

rated:
I've only done small purchases last year.

But I've done a claim with luggage recently. $80 set sold at Amazon was $170 at Kohls. Purchased 3 of them at full price. Got $100 in kolhs cash, used Discover deals for 5% and should get another 5% due to quarterly department stores. Got 3 checks of about $90 each. Whole process took less than 3 weeks.

rated:
mstr11 said:   I'm considering a fairly major purchase and there are two retailers.  One has a fairly shady reputation and the other does not.  The shady guys, though are several hundred dollars lower on the price.

So, I'm wondering about the experience of others at Fatwallet with credit card price protection features and whether I could use it in such a situation.  I don't have a Discover card, but could use a Citi card with price rewind or a Chase Freedom card with price protection as one of the benefits.  Any horror stories, caveats, or other general warnings?

The problem with shady retailers is you don't really know what you're getting. You could be getting gray market stuff and good luck trying to do anything with warranty in the future. Worse, you could be getting fake or used stuff.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017