• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
It looks like the old thread got archived, due to no posts in a few months. Thank you JW10 - I borrowed lots of your information in compiling this thread! Please see the table in the quick summary below for updates.

Citi (Such as Dividend card): simply log onto www.citicards.com and find your Dividend card, then click on "Enroll in 5% cash back at..." on the right. Or telephone 1-800-231-0891 to enroll for each quarterly bonus. It takes up to 2 business days for the 5% to kick in. There is no retroactive crediting, so enroll now! Note: if you obtained your full $300/year cashback already, this is useless until December (December spending will earn rewards when the statement posts, in January 2017).

Chase Freedom: Sign up here: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/activate 
Or call 1-888-865-4306. You can sign up by December 14, 2016, and you will get the bonus for the entire quarter. Up to 5x Ultimate Rewards points on the first 1500 of spend a quarter.

Discover More/IT: Sign up here: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html  
You do need to log in. There is no retroactive crediting, so sign up now. Up to 5% cashback on the first 1500 of spend a quarter.

US Bank Cash Plus: Sign up here: https://cashplus.usbank.com/ 
You choose two 5% categories, and one 2% category. Up to first $2000 of spend on combined 5% category spend a quarter. No limit on 2% spending category.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Heh, I gotta ask:  How is 15x$100 in gift cards any safer than 3x$500?    That's an additional $71.40 in GC fees, too.  ... (more)

irate_retro (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 8:21p) |

Do YOU find it too hard to search for....... 5%

castaline (Dec. 31, 2016 @ 9:45a) |

Until that comes about, no annual fee AARP Visa is 3% cashback in restaurants and gas stations.  It is a separate reward... (more)

JW10 (Dec. 31, 2016 @ 10:47a) |

2016 by Category and Quarter:
Category October-December
Amazon.  com Discover
Best Buy Citi
Department Stores Chase, Citi, Discover
Drugstores Chase
Sam's Club   Chase, Discover
Warehouse Clubs (Other) Chase

2017 by Category and Quarter:
Category  Jan - Mar   Apr - Jun   Jul - Sep   Oct - Dec 
Airlines     Citi  
Best Buy       Citi
Commuting Chase      
Department Stores       Citi
Drugstore   Chase,Citi    
Fitness Clubs   Citi    
Gas Stations Chase, Discover      
Grocery   Chase    
Ground Transportation Discover      
Hilton     Citi  
Home Depot Citi      
Home Furnishings Citi      
Wholesale Clubs Discover      

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sorry if this has been asked before but does the 5% apply for the online version of a department store? I.e. Macys.com, etc.

rated:
S197 said:   Sorry if this has been asked before but does the 5% apply for the online version of a department store? I.e. Macys. com, etc.
  yes, discover talks about it and chase as well (see fine print)

rated:
does sams club sell visa gift cards?

rated:
prastogi2012 said:   does sams club sell visa gift cards?
  No variable load and relatively small demoninations. 

rated:
Ace Rewards® Platinum Visa® Card

From hotel stays to getaways, earn 10% on travel purchases.
Earn Rewards even faster when you use your Ace Rewards® Visa® Card for travel purchases. You'll earn 10% in Ace Rewards points* on your first $500 in qualifying travel spending. Travel category purchases include:

Airline tickets
Hotel and resort stays
Car rentals
Promotion runs from October 1 through December 31, 2016.

https://promos.acerewardsvisa.com/promo/24/

rated:
If you have the Barclay Aviator Red card, that card frequently gives quarterly targeted offers. My Q4 offer is:

3x AAdvantage points on the first $1250 in spend on the following categories: grocery, restaurant, department, and toy/game stores. Pretty good Activate by 11/30/16. If you consider AAdvantage points to be worth somewhere in the ~1.5 or 1.6 cent/point range, then this is (almost) a 5% offer. Albeit, less liquid vs. Chase UR, Citi Dividend Cash, or Discover cashback. Incidentally, since Chase UR converts to airline/hotel points, if you also have an AMF card alongside your Freedom, that offer is probably what most of you would consider the best for the quarter Drugstores make a welcome addition to past Q4 rotations with Freedom.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
  No variable load and relatively small denominations. 

Sam's sells on line $200.00 and under on line and Vanilla MasterCard Gift Cards  (MCGC) variable  up to $500.00 in the stores.  I just did one this week before the end of September.  Sams Club also sells a Sam's Club private label Gift card which is spendable at their gas stations and Wal-Mart. .  That way, you get the 5% benefit spending at places your card does not otherwise provide you 5% Cash Back benefit.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gift-cards/1003.cp 

rated:
Chase Freedom New Cardholder bonus signup 

Tip of the hat to centrifuge41 for picking up the ball. Links in centrifuge41's OP thread are the bonus signup links for existing card holders.

Citi Dividend Rewards card AFIK is no longer marketed to new card holders.

For those who do NOT currently have any of these cards, Let's try a referral free links.

Chase Freedom currently has a signup bonus $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.*
Earn a $25 bonus when you add your first authorized user* and make your first purchase within this same 3-month period. Chase has a limit on your new card signups. You cannot have five new accounts total in the past 24 months. So if you decide to apply for the cards mentioned, this may be the first of them you apply for..

rated:
The department stores category does NOT include WalMart, Target, Kmart

rated:
Onenote said:   The department stores category does NOT include WalMartTargetKmart
In my experience, WalMart and Target usually (not always though) qualify as grocery stores if you're using Visa or MasterCard. The only time I've EVER seen where that wasn't the case was with one smaller/older Target store (we're talking a store that opened over 40 years ago and was only a Target because of bankruptcies/buyouts of defunct chains before it was ultimately swallowed by Target in the 80s) that closed a few months ago. Just that one store (and only that one) would count as a "discount store." American Express, of course, is weird, and won't count ANY WalMart as a grocery in my experience... including the WalMart Neighborhood Markets, which are nothing BUT groceries. The key then is to find a card with a good grocery category, though that has become harder in recent years.

Kmart can be the tricky one. Every single one I've been to has counted as a "discount store," and I've never known of any card to do anything special for that category, ever. Of course, if you're planning a big purchase at Kmart (OK I know that is laughable), there is always the option of buying a Sears gift card (counts as a department store!) and using it at Kmart

rated:
JW10 said:   
stanolshefski said:   
  No variable load and relatively small denominations. 

Sam's sells on line $200.00 and under on line and Vanilla MasterCard Gift Cards  (MCGC) variable  up to $500.00 in the stores.  I just did one this week before the end of September.  Sams Club also sells a Sam's Club private label Gift card which is spendable at their gas stations and Wal-Mart. .  That way, you get the 5% benefit spending at places your card does not otherwise provide you 5% Cash Back benefit.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gift-cards/1003.cp

thanks for the information but it looks like its all in-store - no other options online. I guess taking a sams club membersjip may be worth it!

rated:
Pretty disappointed with this quarter. My favorites are always gas, grocery, and restaurant. I remember a year or two ago, Discover did "online shopping" for 5%. That was a good one. I guess the Amazon 5% will have to do.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   

the store in my area, they have $25-$500 variable load MasterCard for $4.95 fee

rated:
eljamesyu said:   
stanolshefski said:   

the store in my area, they have $25-$500 variable load MasterCard for $4.95 fee

I didn't see them last time I was in the store.

rated:
InFlamed said:   Pretty disappointed with this quarter. My favorites are always gas, grocery, and restaurant. I remember a year or two ago, Discover did "online shopping" for 5%. That was a good one. I guess the Amazon 5% will have to do.
  Look at Santander Bank Bravo card with 3% on all three all year round .. Cap is 15000 total points per quarter.  Annual fee waived year one and all years after if you keep a no min balance checking account active once a month.

rated:
JW10 said:   
InFlamed said:   Pretty disappointed with this quarter. My favorites are always gas, grocery, and restaurant. I remember a year or two ago, Discover did "online shopping" for 5%. That was a good one. I guess the Amazon 5% will have to do.
  Look at Santander Bank Bravo card with 3% on all three all year round .. Cap is 15000 total points per quarter.  Annual fee waived year one and all years after if you keep a no min balance checking account active once a month.

JW10 - In Santander's fine print for the Bravo card I see:
Santander Bravo Card fine print said: ‡ No annual fee for customers if you maintain a Santander Select® or Santander Premier Plus Checking account or if you are qualified for a Santander Bank employee checking account at each anniversary date.
And then the fine print for Select Checking says:
More fine print said: To reward you for your business, the Santander Select Checking monthly fee of $75 will be waived for the first three months and each month thereafter when you maintain $250,000 in combined deposit (checking, savings, money market savings, CDs) and investment balances* held at Santander.
And the fine print for Premier Select checking says:
P.S. Checking fine print said: Monthly fee of $35 or maintain a combined balance of $75,000 in deposits and investments± or have $6,000 or more in total direct deposits‡ during the service fee period to avoid the Monthly Fee.

rated:
True, but Santander bank has an offer outstanding with a signup bonus.  Once you sign up for the checking account and do one transaction per month, both checking and Bravo fees are waived.  See Doctor of Credit review.  I do NOT have anywhere near that kind of balance and have yet to have a fee.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/santander-150-checking-bonus/ 

rated:
I get 5% on gas/grocery/WalMart /Amazon with my Sallie Mae card year round. (no longer offered for new users.)
I used to get 5% restaurants with my citi Forward card, but citi shut it down. now I'm down to 3% with my Costco visa.

hopefully in 2017, discover and chase freedom wont have 5% restaurants in the same quarter like they did in 2015.

rated:
US Bank Cash Plus provides an option for 5% in two categories out of nine choices. I choose Fast Food (NOT all restaurants) and Cell Phone service like Sprint, ATT etc. Another popular 5% Cash Back is charities  **Up to first $2000 of spend on combined 5% category spend a quarter

When you go to Sam's Club, you can purchase a Sam's Club GC and use it at WalMart and Sam's Club /WalMart gas station creating a 5% cash back off that shopping this calendar quarter. Many restaurants have GCs at Sam's Club and many department stores.

rated:
Sam's have the variable load ones at my location but every time I go in there I find a new cashier that has no idea how to to activate them. Guess they don't sell too many of them?

rated:
In some Sam's Club locations, it is best or even required to take them to Customer Service desk.  Regardless, Sam's Club system will make you purchase them separately.  Currently, they are selling Vanilla brand MCGCs.  The $100s and $200s can be ordered online.  Most locations have $500s plus a variety of store. restaurant, GCs.

rated:
discover now offers 5% at walmart.com.

discover.com/walmart5

and that fills the hole in my sallie mae card that gives 5% at super walmart  (B&M, not online)

edit:
EXCEPTIONS: Apple Watch, NEW iPhones, WalMart Grocery to Go, cellular purchases, prepaid phone cards (Straight Talk), pharmacy, travel, financial service, tires, WalMart Connect Internet Service, gift card/online gift cards, shipping, taxes and service fees. 

rated:

Trick (73.55kB)
Disclaimer
Halloween Tricky - Deals Home > Discount Stores > Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at WalMart online

I still like Sam's Club GCs working as Wal-Mart GCs in Wal-Mart. Brick and mortar.

rated:
Quick Summary updated for Discover Q1 2017 categories.

Posted here by JW10 yesterday.

Should there be a new topic for 2017 or keep rolling with this one?

rated:
it's up to the regular readers of this thread. The one I did was updated by the members for over four years.

rated:
In my opinion we should ask Centrifuge41 to Delete the (Q4 2016) out of the title, if it can be done,
and just keep the format of just adding to the charts like we have in the past.
If members agree, just green the OP
It would keep it simple to find the thread. As far as maintenance of the chart I dont even know how to make one.
So I thank who ever had taken that on.

rated:
JW10 said:   Chase Freedom New Cardholder bonus signup 

Tip of the hat to centrifuge41 for picking up the ball. Links in centrifuge41's OP thread are the bonus signup links for existing card holders.

Citi Dividend Rewards card AFIK is no longer marketed to new card holders.

For those who do NOT currently have any of these cards, Let's try a referral free links.

Chase Freedom currently has a signup bonus $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.*
Earn a $25 bonus when you add your first authorized user* and make your first purchase within this same 3-month period. Chase has a limit on your new card signups. You cannot have five new accounts total in the past 24 months. So if you decide to apply for the cards mentioned, this may be the first of them you apply for..

Does the Freedom Unlimited have the 5% categories each quarter?

TIA

rated:
Not that I know of - The sizzle is the 1.5% unlimited Ultimate Rewards which can be transferred to other Ultimate Rewards cards.
Redeem for cash back – any amount, any time - no $20.00 minimum to collect.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/rewards?CELL=6TKX 

rated:
Discover 2017 First Quarter signup now open

rated:
Chase Freedom 2017 Q1 & Q2 categories are virtually confirmed. Summary updated.

rated:
If Chase does stick to grocery stores for the second quarter, that's an easy quarter to max out!

rated:
centrifuge41 said:   Chase Freedom 2017 Q1 & Q2 categories are virtually confirmed. Summary updated.
  While I cannot find anything official on the web, if you get the right CSR, you will learn Chase Freedom 5% categories for Calendar 2017.
 Doctor of Credit blog says he has confirmed
1st calendar quarter - Gas Stations, Commuter Passes 

rated:
Thing I hate is that there is only 2 decent has stations near me that sell anything good in terms of gift cards. One will allow credit cards for merchant cards and the other will not.

rated:
my neighborhood market codes as grocery on my blue cash everyday. But never the WalMart supercenter. Am i understanding this thread correctly, i can buy Sam's Club giftcards with my discover card and basically get 5% off using the gift card at neighborhood markets and supercenters? That would be awesome!

rated:
@monksgold That is correct. I have done it a few times this calendar quarter with Freedom and Discover. Next calendar quarter 2017 will just be Discover.

rated:
wow! Thank you

rated:
Full 2017 Citi Dividends Reward Calendar

First calendar quarter 2017 ~~from January 1, 2017 through March 31, 2017 - Talk about useless for many.
5% Citi® Dividend Rewards Card at The Home Depot® and home furnishing stores (See Member Summary for examples)

rated:
JW10 said:   US Bank Cash Plus provides an option for 5% in two categories out of nine choices. I choose Fast Food (NOT all restaurants) and Cell Phone service like Sprint, ATT etc. Another popular 5% Cash Back is charities  **Up to first $2000 of spend on combined 5% category spend a quarter

Applied (while signed in to my account), approved and received my 2nd Cash+ card in my name. Now I can cover four 5% categories with these 2 cards.

Skipping 15 Messages...
rated:
gaffer said:   No announcements for restaurants yet...

Until that comes about, no annual fee AARP Visa is 3% cashback in restaurants and gas stations.  It is a separate rewards system that Ultimate Rewards, so cannot combine them. Redemption is at $25.00.
AARP membership is not required.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017