• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
To qualify for a $400 cash bonus, open a new consumer checking account in The Citibank Account Package by 10/31/16.

Within 30 days from the date you opened your new checking account, deposit $15,000 or more in new-to-Citibank funds into your new checking account or new or existing Citibank Savings Plus account.

A minimum balance of $15,000 is required to be maintained in the new checking account or new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account, for 30 consecutive calendar days following the date you made your qualifying deposit.

30 days after your $15,000 deposit, you can pull $5,000.  Keep $10,000 to avoid $25 monthly service fee.

The cash bonus will be credited to your new checking account within 90 calendar days from the date when you completed all offer requirements.

To be eligible for this offer, you must not currently have a Consumer checking account with Citibank or have been a signer on or owner of a Citibank consumer checking account within the last 60 days.

link 

edit: added eligible line provided by member b534202

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are most welcome!  OP is still waiting for his bonus...

johnniewalker (Jan. 13, 2017 @ 6:36p) |

AFAIK, there is no minimum period to keep the account open. IOW, you can close now.

fwuser12 (Jan. 13, 2017 @ 7:13p) |

I closed my account via online chat a couple days after transferring the balance out. No issues so far.

meade18 (Jan. 18, 2017 @ 10:29a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I live in CA. Would not allow opening acct online. Lists a telephone #. I think I will wait for now.

rated:

To be eligible for this offer, you must not currently have a Consumer checking account with Citibank or have been a signer on or owner of a Citibank consumer checking account within the last 60 days.

rated:
pattyB said:   I live in CA. Would not allow opening acct online. Lists a telephone #. I think I will wait for now.
  I got the message as well for my state.  I called the number and while i was on the phone the csr asked me for the promo code,  I hit the back button on my browser to read the fine print and look for the promo code (couldn't find it).  Then I clicked again (dont remember what) and it gave me a new screen and allowed me to open the account.

rated:
Thank you b534202 .  I've updated the post.

rated:
pattyB said:   I live in CA. Would not allow opening acct online. Lists a telephone #. I think I will wait for now.
  I retried and managed to get into the application page.  It took only a few minutes to complete the form.  Then I came to the password page.  It listed my e-mail for ID & I proceeded to the password.  It refused any combination that I submitted.  I called the # listed & really got no help.
​I finally gave up! 

rated:
Ditto for Hawaii. Entered my state, got this:

[quote]We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700.[/quote]

rated:
For the longest time I could not open any new CITI account online (with promotion or not) and got the same error message with same telephone number to call. I thought at the time maybe the old CITI Gold checking or savings that I closed about 1-2 years ago were never removed from the system. After some chat with representative online, he told me that the accounts were closed but my online login ID (which I have been using for my CITI credit cards)were still associated with the deactivated debit card (that came with the checking account back then) and that maybe what caused this error. I was then advised to create new login and link my credit cards with new login. I could then successfully open the CITI checking online associated with new ID by doing this(and hopefully will get the bonus too).

Just in case you guys are having same issue.

rated:
                         bank0081;19649184 said:For the longest time I could not open any new CITI account online (with promotion or not) and got the same error message with same telephone number to call...                                                            I was then advised to create new login and link my credit cards with new login. I could then successfully open the CITI checking online associated with new ID by doing this(and hopefully will get the bonus too).

That's basically what the account rep. did when I walked across the street to open the account during my lunch hour.  He opened the account, and set up a new online log in, then transferred my credit cards to the new online log in..  Easy account to open.

rated:
Why would anyone with $15K care about earning $400???

rated:
fatxman said:   Why would anyone with $15K care about earning $400???
  cuz it's still $400?

rated:

Because it's $400.

Which is like 2.3%...in a month.

rated:
  I have much more cash sitting and I still care about $100, let alone $400. 

rated:
Its taxed as ordinary income leaving about $200 after federal and state taxes (CA). For the risk adverse, you're better off investing the 15K in an tax-exempt intermediate bond fund or state-specific muni bond fund - less hassle, low risk, and better yield.

rated:
tomass said:   Its taxed as ordinary income leaving about $200 after federal and state taxes (CA). For the risk adverse, you're better off investing the 15K in an tax-exempt intermediate bond fund or state-specific muni bond fund - less hassle, low risk, and better yield.
  Only suckers pay a 50% income tax rate

rated:
tomass said:   Its taxed as ordinary income leaving about $200 after federal and state taxes (CA). For the risk adverse, you're better off investing the 15K in an tax-exempt intermediate bond fund or state-specific muni bond fund - less hassle, low risk, and better yield.
  Alt-id from 2003 and this is your first post?
Tell me where you can get ~1.3% tax-free return over 2-3 months with little/no risk.

rated:
ensignlee said:   

Because it's $400.

Which is like 2.3%...in a month.

You can get 2.3% return if you know how to invest in the stock market without tying up $15k.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
  I have much more cash sitting and I still care about $100, let alone $400. 

Which is why you  have much more cash sitting 

rated:
avalon6 said:   

Exactly - those suckers making 500k per year If they only made below poverty line, instead of paying 50% in taxes, they would be getting money back from the government.

rated:
Do I want regular or interest checking?

rated:
stehigs said:   Do I want regular or interest checking?
I went with regular.

rated:

Thus spoke the man who was unable to amass $16K  

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   
avalon6 said:   

Exactly - those suckers making 500k per year If they only made below poverty line, instead of paying 50% in taxes, they would be getting money back from the government.

It doesn't matter how much you make. There are many ways to shield your income from taxes. Paying 50% in taxes is like not doing anything to shield your money. That's what makes you a sucker. 

rated:
avalon6 said:    
It doesn't matter how much you make. There are many ways to shield your income from taxes. Paying 50% in taxes is like not doing anything to shield your money. That's what makes you a sucker. 

1. There is a difference between incremental tax rates and total tax rates. You start making above 250K in salary, you are looking at 32.5% federal incremental (AMT kicks in) and 9.3% CA. So when that person said 50%, I believe he rounded up the 32.5+9.3 = 42% incremental. The citibank $400 would be taxed at the incremental 42% rate but that does not mean a person is paying 50% on his taxes.
2. We all know the standard ways of shielding income - e.g. 401K, HSA, mortgage, charitable gifts, cap gain losses etc. Do you have other special magic tricks? Care to post your income tax return - hide your identity - we don't care about the identity - just want to understand if you just bark or you have real teeth behind your bark.
3. Feel free to PM me - due to some employee stock windfall, I am looking at 800K+ W2 income this year with 3 months to go in this year for any creative stuff. You make my taxes zero "legally" (not like the stupid timeshare stuff that was posted recently), I will give you half the savings. You can do the math on what my current taxes look like - so if you are for real, go salivate on what you can make and then PM me.

rated:
Also add 3.8% NIIT if you are above 250k. So it is 45.8%.

rated:
  Living in New York, with federal, state AND city tax, taking into account that state and city tax are deductible on my federal taxes, my effective tax rate is about 40%.  Either California's state rate is something like 25%, taking into account it's being a federal tax deduction, or you income must be astronomical for you to attain a cumulative 50% tax rate.

rated:
Wife and I opened a Citi CA 15 years ago and I have a small DD from work. I am effectively shut out of every Citi offer for years since I have an acct. Even opening in just one of our names is a no go. I did get tons of bonuses on their cc and especially 3 dividend cards when they had drug store cats. They suck. I don't want the hassle of closing the current ca. any ideas?

rated:
johnniewalker said:   
stehigs said:   Do I want regular or interest checking?
I went with regular.

Anyone tried funding 2nd family account from same source institution? Any issues?

rated:
johnniewalker said:   
  I got the message as well for my state.  I called the number and while i was on the phone the csr asked me for the promo code,  I hit the back button on my browser to read the fine print and look for the promo code (couldn't find it).  Then I clicked again (dont remember what) and it gave me a new screen and allowed me to open the account.

Also anyone opening acct online properly later tried verifying with CSR or messaging to ensure whether account was correctly coded to receive bonus (pursuant to satisfying other conditions of course)?

Esp due to the initially online denying but later back button then applying?

rated:
I signed up and funded my account a couple weeks ago. I was surprised there wasn't a thread on this bonus already considering Doctor of Credit and a few other blogs posted it a while ago.

I just did an online chat to make sure my account was eligible for the promotion and was opened with the promotion applied. The CSR asked me for the promo code. I gave him CZPE. He said it was a valid promo code but he couldn't check anything specific to my account. He told me to call the promotions department at 800-321-2484 (open 8-10 CT). I haven't called yet. I hate calling the bank.

rated:
I successfully opened by account online back in June. I have verified with the CSR that the account I opened is indeed "The Citibank account" and that the $400 bonus promo is attached to my account.

Then at the beginning of September, my account suddenly had a zero balance. Called in and was told that my account was closed. I literally only did 4 transactions: the initial $15.000 deposit, a $5000 withdrawal and a couple of sub-$1 transactions when I linked my external accounts. I was told I will receive a letter in the mail with an explanation. I indeed received a letter, but it was just the check for the balance. Then, again a couple of days later, after the account was already closed, I receive a letter requesting the W-9 form. Another couple of days later, I received a checkbook corresponding to the now closed account.

I went into a branch to check what is going on and they couldn't tell me much either, other than the account was indeed closed due to "missing documentation". Huh? Getting nowhere with Citi, I opened a complaint online with the CFPB. That finally got a result: I received a call from the executive office with an apology, they closed the account due to a "processing error". They were willing to reopen the account and confirmed they will honor the bonus even if I don't reopen the account.

It looks like Citi doesn't really know what the hell they're doing.

rated:
Citi is really anal about w-9 and signature cards. I don't know why, but they are. Make sure you send them in.

rated:
I opened a Citibank Account package at the branch. Banker told me if you refer somebody, you'll get $50 as well.

Going to call the promotions department to verify that my account was set up correctly. Will report back.

rated:
The only thing that sucks about this deal is that it's with Shiti Bank and they tend to fcuk up a lot on stuff. There seems to be many unhappy campers who partook in this deal on other deal sites. If it was another bank I might do it but with Citi I'm not sure I want the headache for $400 with big purchases coming up for me.

rated:
Can funding be done with a CC?

rated:
hpmax said:   Citi is really anal about w-9 and signature cards. I don't know why, but they are. Make sure you send them in.
  I would gladly sent both to them if they would have asked. I have not received the letter requesting the W-9 and the checks with the signature card until after the account was already closed. This is likely what the "processing error" was...

rated:
how long does it take for them to review and open the application filled online? I applied over the weekend. it let me setup the online account id. on the funding page it didn't accept my other bank details for the initial fund withdrawal. i am able to logon on the citi site but there is no account or any other information.

rated:
mgupta001 said:   how long does it take for them to review and open the application filled online? I applied over the weekend. it let me setup the online account id. on the funding page it didn't accept my other bank details for the initial fund withdrawal. i am able to logon on the citi site but there is no account or any other information.
  I was told it could take 5 days to review.  Theoretically, they will send you a letter and some welcome type paperwork in the mail after that.  I called and they want me to mail them a copy of my drivers license to verify my identity.  My auto funding failed (like yours), they said because my account had a 'hold' on it while my identity is verified.  I imagine, in a few days I will get a letter in the mail telling me to send a copy of my drivers license, but I am ahead of that since I called.  So, this is some hoops, and a bit of a pain, but for $400 I am working though it.

rated:
CheapBustard said:   Can funding be done with a CC?
  No.

Skipping 52 Messages...
rated:
I closed my account via online chat a couple days after transferring the balance out. No issues so far.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017