• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Out of curiosity, why don't big banks compete on interest rates? Not worth it to them? I only see them offering 0.01% rates, but if any of them did a higher amount, as paltry as even 0.25% I'd sign up. Is it really not worth it to them?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Likely because their current supply of capital on hand exceeds the supply of investable opportunities as adjusted to their risk appetite.

rated:
Probably because of all the physical branch locations they have. Ally has none and is able to offer better rates and they say it's because of that.

rated:
MrSamsung said:   if any of them did a higher amount, as paltry as even 0.25% I'd sign up. 
  Why would anyone sign up for 0.25% when many banks have accounts over 1%?

rated:
Big bank customers are more interested in convenience (ATMs, bank locations, and fancy apps) than a paltry interest rate on what little balance they have in the account.

rated:
MrSamsung said:   Out of curiosity, why don't big banks compete on interest rates? Not worth it to them? I only see them offering 0.01% rates, but if any of them did a higher amount, as paltry as even 0.25% I'd sign up. Is it really not worth it to them?
at 50k .25 would equal $10.41 a month
at 50k .1 would equal $4.16
No one cares to switch bank accounts for 6 dollars

rated:
Luniz97 said:   
MrSamsung said:   Out of curiosity, why don't big banks compete on interest rates? Not worth it to them? I only see them offering 0.01% rates, but if any of them did a higher amount, as paltry as even 0.25% I'd sign up. Is it really not worth it to them?

and at 500 average daily balance, which is what most of their customers probably have:
.25 would be .10 a month
.10 would be .04 a month
less, of course, the $5-20 a month service fee and a couple of $35 overdrafts.

rated:
This is why we are more likely to see a 5% rate with heavy restrictions, rather than a major bank giving even an extra .1%. The 5% is really a new account bonus embedded in a higher rate.

rated:
Luniz97 said:   

This is fatwallet, you should know better.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Luniz97 said:   

This is fatwallet, you should know better.

Yes, at Fatwallet, it takes a minimum of ~$200-300 for me to switch bank accounts.

rated:
An extra $6 a month equals a dozen fast food meals a year. That would appeal to many folks.

rated:
atikovi said:   An extra $6 a month equals a dozen fast food meals a year. That would appeal to many folks.
  Interest on consumer debt dwarfs any interest earnings for the average American household. FWF'ers aren't representative.

rated:
Luniz97 said:   at 50k .25 would equal $10.41 a month

This might not really change your conclusion, but note that OP said 0.01%, not 0.1%.  So it's $10 per month difference, not $6.

rated:
Well, for argument's sake, I leave in 5k in my checking account and 10k in the savings just in case a car deal or something else similar comes up. I leave my money with BofA now, but if say, Wells Fargo offered 0.25% on savings I'd leave my short term account with them instead (assuming the other benefits are similar).

rated:
MrSamsung said:   Well, for argument's sake, I leave in 5k in my checking account and 10k in the savings just in case a car deal or something else similar comes up. I leave my money with BofA now, but if say, Wells Fargo offered 0.25% on savings I'd leave my short term account with them instead (assuming the other benefits are similar).
  Aren't there large B&M banks in your area that offer more than a lousy .25%? My savings account at Capital One pays 1%. Granted its a promo rate for 12 months, but their regular savings is still .5%.

rated:
I haven't seen anything..the closest would be a CU (Alliant), but my wife wants something closer.

rated:
Because that business is currently not relevant

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016