• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For those who pay for Yahoo Email through Yahoo's Small Business service or personal email (Yahoo Email Plus), this New York Times article may be of interest to you.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/technology/yahoo-email-tech-companies-government-investigations.html 

Excerpt from the article linked above:

"The order was unusual because it involved the systematic scanning of all Yahoo users’ emails rather than individual accounts; several other tech companies said they had not encountered such a demand.News of the order has opened a new chapter in a public debate over the trade-offs between security needs and privacy rights that has cast a spotlight on the sometimes cooperative, sometimes antagonistic relationship between Silicon Valley companies and the United States government ... 

"Details of Yahoo’s cooperation with the court order come two weeks after the company reported that hackers had broken into its computer network, stealing the credentials of 500 million users. Yahoo engineers discovered the breach this summer, two years after it had occurred"

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You do know that almost all email is still unencrypted.

Anyone can simple sniff internet traffic to capture almost everything.

What's this have to do with finance? Post it at emaildiscussions.com

Chargum85 said:   You do know that almost all email is still unencrypted.

Its been a while since email goes via https; simple sniffing wont work.

delhel said:   Chargum85 said:   You do know that almost all email is still unencrypted.

Its been a while since email goes via https; simple sniffing wont work.

Email doesn't use HTTP or HTTPS, it uses SMTP. Just because you read it with a web browser doesn't mean it was sent to Google or Yahoo via a web browser. If it came from off-network, it used SMTP. Which is not encrypted.

(edit: fix typos)

Old news

Chargum85 said:   You do know that almost all email is still unencrypted.

Theoretically, that's true. Practically, very few groups have that ability.

bighitter said:   For those who pay for Yahoo Email through Yahoo's Small Business service or personal email (Yahoo Email Plus), this New York Times article may be of interest to you.  

Why would it be of interest particularly to people who pay for Yahoo email (small business or personal account)?

As far as I am aware, just because you pay for a Yahoo email account, it doesn't mean you are protected from this sort of surveillance.

oppidum said:   
bighitter said:   For those who pay for Yahoo Email through Yahoo's Small Business service or personal email (Yahoo Email Plus), this New York Times article may be of interest to you.  
Why would it be of interest particularly to people who pay for Yahoo email (small business or personal account)?

As far as I am aware, just because you pay for a Yahoo email account, it doesn't mean you are protected from this sort of surveillance.

I think you are probably right.   When I originally posted, I was thinking about people I know who own small businesses and who use Yahoo Small Business with their own domain name.  They exchange emails with their accountants, lawyers and customers, and I hope for their sake they haven't been sending sensitive information.   I realize that they shouldn't be sending sensitive information via email but I'm surprised how many people think it is OK to do so. .

Wow , Verizon's buy of Yahoo just keeps revealing more and more stuff going on over there.

History repeats.  Look up King George III's Writ of Assistance & Townshend Acts.

sheesh, next thing you know we'll find out FW has been tracking our online purchases for the IRS...

you know, to help us ensure we don't forget to pay use tax.

defjukie said:   sheesh, next thing you know we'll find out FW has been tracking our online purchases for the IRS...

you know, to help us ensure we don't forget to pay use tax.

You know that the IRS doesn't have anything to do with use tax.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017