Craftsman Brand close to being sold, is this the end for lifetime replacement?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Fatwallet continually has posts for deals at Sears and Kmart, as well as for Craftsman tools.  Every now and then I jump in and point out that at some point Sears and Kmart will cease to exist as Eddie Lampert continues to milk them to death.  In May, Sears put Craftsman, Kenmore, and Diehard up for sale to raise cash.  Multiple sites are reporting that Craftsman may be sold by the end of October for $2 billion.  The question FatWalleters have to think about is - what does this mean for lifetime replacement...?  Only the new owenr can give the answer, speculation is a waste of time.  It is a unique selling proposition for the brand, most other hand tools do not have similar warranties, but do people really think about that when they need a tool - especially if Sears stores cease to exist?  I've found ambiguous information as to whether Ace Hardware offers lifetime replacement on Craftsman (yes, no, and only on uniquely stamped Ace/Craftsman products).  I can guarantee that the liberal Sears policy of walking in and getting the closest product match (I brought in a broken wooden shovel and they gave me a fiberglass shovel since the wooden shovel was no longer made) will no longer exist if it's sold.

Be careful what you buy...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Lowes has their own "Lifetime Replacement" guarantee on their line of tools. Does Home Depot have one, too?

I doubt anyone is buying the factory. Most likely, they're just buying the name. I suspect the tradition will continue.

supersnoop00 said:   Lowes has their own "Lifetime Replacement" guarantee on their line of tools. 
  how does that one work, can you also just walk into Lowes and get replacement?

rufflesinc said:   
supersnoop00 said:   Lowes has their own "Lifetime Replacement" guarantee on their line of tools. 
  how does that one work, can you also just walk into Lowes and get replacement?

..yes.

rufflesinc said:   
  how does that one work, can you also just walk into Lowes and get replacement?

Yes, done that a few times.  Customer Service just tells you to go in the store and bring a similar item, they check to make sure it's identical or close to the original.  No problem at all.

You're buying the tool, and a warranty that is implied to be for the life of the company. Heck, even Harbor Freight has a "lifetime" guarantee on their hand tools. Bring one in, swap it out. But I'd rather have a tool that doesn't break and has NO warranty than one that is cheap and has a lifetime warranty.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

Most Husky(Home Depot) and Kobalt (Lowes) hand tools have a lifetime replacement.

Stubtify said:   You're buying the tool, and a warranty that is implied to be for the life of the company. Heck, even Harbor Freight has a "lifetime" guarantee on their hand tools. Bring one in, swap it out. But I'd rather have a tool that doesn't break and has NO warranty than one that is cheap and has a lifetime warranty.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

All lines of tools will break. Some are definitely made better than others, or have specific tools within the line that are more susceptible to failure.

If you don't use tools everyday, or aren't a shade tree mechanic, you probably won't break tools.

I'm not sure I care anymore. So many of their tools are made in China now, and if I use a tool enough that I break it, I'd probably want to buy a quality replacement instead of relying on a POS that just happens to bear the Craftsman name.

If I wanted that, I would have gone to Harbor Frieght in the first place and saved a few bucks versus Sears/Craftsman. Sad that yet another once great American brand is going down the drain.

VicVinegar said:   I'm not sure I care anymore. So many of their tools are made in China now, and if I use a tool enough that I break it, I'd probably want to buy a quality replacement instead of relying on a POS that just happens to bear the Craftsman name.

If I wanted that, I would have gone to Harbor Frieght in the first place and saved a few bucks versus Sears /Craftsman. Sad that yet another once great American brand is going down the drain.

One thing to note is that like all of Ser's brands,Craftsman never made any tools. The actual manufacturing was always outsourced.

It's possible that Craftsman can contract to make some of their hard line products in the US any longer because no one will make it for them any longer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017