• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I found this thread here doing a Google search and wanted to leave my 2˘ with regards to which credit cards are the best and worst for disputes:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1023325

For what it's worth, my Chase Freedom Visa is TERRIBLE at disputes.  I've filed five with this company for reasons ranging from poor quality service to vendors that blatantly ripped me off and the reply is always that the "charges are valid."  I'm going to try an AMEX card as it seems that they're more responsive to shady merchants.  But do not use Chase Visa.  I'm cancelling that quick.

I've also disputed with Capital One Business Visa and they seem to take complaints more seriously.  Got my money back on a bogus car battery as well as the charges from Cricket Wireless who didn't warn me that receiving MMS requires you to turn off your phone's wifi.

Do you have experience with this?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
OrielOnline said:   I've filed five with this company for reasons ranging from poor quality service to vendors that blatantly ripped me off and the reply is always that the "charges are valid."Can you provide details on the 5 disputes ?

rated:
Donald?

rated:
Wow ... you were denied 5 times.

rated:
xoneinax said:   OrielOnline said:   I've filed five with this company for reasons ranging from poor quality service to vendors that blatantly ripped me off and the reply is always that the "charges are valid."Can you provide details on the 5 disputes ?

OK:

1. Was with Citibank, when they told me they could refi me with $150k cash out and 3.75% interest. Paid for an appraisal and application fee. A month later they said they could only get $85k at 4.35%. Refused to refund me the fees even though I couldn't do a thing with that small amount of money.

2. Electrician company that didn't follow my instructions and did a sloppy / incomplete job at best. A second opinion from a different electrician estimated that correcting their work would cost me almost the same amount I paid them.

3. Received an iPad that the previous owner reported as stolen. An online vendor offers a service where they could unlock it for you. Paid for the service then, a few days later, they inform me that they're services won't work on "stolen" items. Refused to refund me, instead gave me store credit for some ambiguous time in the future when they'll offer the service I need.

4. Made an online, next-day booking for a hotel and turns out that it somehow got made for two weeks ahead of schedule. Asked them to cancel the reservation and refund me my money. They withheld 25%.

5. Laser tattoo removal that didn't produce any visible results.

Your thoughts?

rated:
OrielOnline said:   OK:

1. Was with Citibank, when they told me they could refi me with $150k cash out and 3.75% interest. Paid for an appraisal and application fee. A month later they said they could only get $85k at 4.35%. Refused to refund me the fees even though I couldn't do a thing with that small amount of money.

2. Electrician company that didn't follow my instructions and did a sloppy / incomplete job at best. A second opinion from a different electrician estimated that correcting their work would cost me almost the same amount I paid them.

3. Received an iPad that the previous owner reported as stolen. An online vendor offers a service where they could unlock it for you. Paid for the service then, a few days later, they inform me that they're services won't work on "stolen" items. Refused to refund me, instead gave me store credit for some ambiguous time in the future when they'll offer the service I need.

4. Made an online, next-day booking for a hotel and turns out that it somehow got made for two weeks ahead of schedule. Asked them to cancel the reservation and refund me my money. They withheld 25%.

5. Laser tattoo removal that didn't produce any visible results.

Your thoughts?

Hi Troll.

rated:
I still pick up pennies but I don't want your 2˘.

rated:
No bank in AMERICA wants you as a customer.

rated:
LOL ok, nevermind.

rated:
Your disputes might be legitimate but five is a little excessive indicating you haven't done enough due diligence before you made your purchases. When your ratio of charges to disputes is more than normal and involves what looks like a few hundred dollars in some cases, the banks get a little Leary of having your business.

rated:
Reminds me of this recent thread:  https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/topic_view.php?catid=52&threadi...
Although in that case, the OP never provided details of his multiple chargebacks so I give Oriel props for that.

It does seem like you've had some bad luck lately with some significant charges.  I'm really puzzled as to why your dispute didn't work for #3 though; it seems clear that you paid for a service that the vendor then told you they couldn't provide.  The others, I'm not really sure.  I don't think that the CC companies are in the business of deciding on the quality of the work, such as the electrical work and tattoo removal.  Your sheer number of chargebacks does seem excessive.  You've mentioned at least 7 (5 failures and 2 successes) which all apparently happened recently - that's more than I've had in decades of credit card use. 

rated:
infogirlgeek said:   Donald?
  I believe his answer is just don't pay them.  Then the dispute has to come from the other end.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016