Free notary service in California?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Are there any free notary service in California. Moved from NYC and Texas where banks routinely provide free notary service.
Unable to find any in California bay area

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did you try a local Chase branch? They still offer it for free, even if you're not a customer of theirs.

Try Wells Fargo, tell them you are going to open a bunch of accounts.

chaster86 said:   Did you try a local Chase branch? They still offer it for free, even if you're not a customer of theirs.
  Only bankdocuments

ZenNUTS said:   Try Wells Fargo, tell them you are going to open a bunch of accounts.
  Only bank documents in California

rpi1967 said:   chaster86 said:   Did you try a local Chase branch? They still offer it for free, even if you're not a customer of theirs.
  Only bankdocuments

chases here notarI've pretty much everything for me, mainly powers of attorney for real estate closings.

but they also notarized a quit claim deed when I was the buyer. and then spent 5 mins trying to get the seller to open an account

rufflesinc said:   
rpi1967 said:   
chaster86 said:   Did you try a local Chase branch? They still offer it for free, even if you're not a customer of theirs.
  Only bankdocuments

chases here notarI've pretty much everything for me, mainly powers of attorney for real estate closings.

but they also notarized a quit claim deed when I was the buyer. and then spent 5 mins trying to get the seller to open an account

But you had an account right?

Must be something about California.  Navy Federal offers free notary of non-bank documents (max 2X per week), but includes this verbiage on fee schedule:

Notary Public Service is applicable in all jurisdictions except California and Louisiana. In California, Notary Public Service is limited to Navy Federal-related documents only. Navy Federal does not offer Notary Public Service in Louisiana. Members in Louisiana need to seek the advice of an attorney. Due to the potential legal ramifications, Navy Federal does not notarize wills. Wills should be notarized by an attorney authorized to do so.

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/ebrochures/2043ep.pdf

tuphat said:   Must be something about California.  Navy Federal offers free notary of non-bank documents (max 2X per week), but includes this verbiage on fee schedule:

Notary Public Service is applicable in all jurisdictions except California and Louisiana. In California, Notary Public Service is limited to Navy Federal-related documents only. Navy Federal does not offer Notary Public Service in Louisiana. Members in Louisiana need to seek the advice of an attorney. Due to the potential legal ramifications, Navy Federal does not notarize wills. Wills should be notarized by an attorney authorized to do so.

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/ebrochures/2043ep.pdf

From what I have been told, most businesses in California have discontinued free notary due to potential legal liability and the regulatory requirements that are now imposed by the State of California.   If you have an Automobile Club of Southern California membership, some tiers offer free notary.  It might be worth upgrading your membership for the year if you have several docs that need notarized.

Perfect opportunity to put your CSR to good use!

A year or so ago, SF Bay Area Citi bank notarized a document for a friend who had an account there.

Try The UPS Store. They aren't free but I had to use them because Chase would not notarize loan documents that originated from another Chase branch. My loan officer could not convince the branch manager to do it. It was surreal. After I became a customer, I emailed Chase about the whole situation and got an apology but they don't really care.

Wells Fargo did it for free for me. I have an account and the branch was in an well to do location where they were going all out for maintaining good relationships with customers.

ZenNUTS said:   Try Wells Fargo, tell them you are going to open a bunch of accounts.
  You don't have to tell them that.  They'll just open the accounts in your name anyway

Citi offers free notary service for customers.   But, you need to call the branch ahead of time because not all branches have a notary and often even the branches that do only have one who may be out of the office.

Chargum85 said:   Perfect opportunity to put your CSR to good use!
Can you elaborate?

rpi1967 said:   
  Only bankdocuments

That might be their policy, but they've been pretty nice about it to me. I'm a Chase customer so YMMV.

They notarized my DMV title documents and county property transfer docs at two different Chase branches in the Bay Area. Might be worth walking in and asking.

I went to 2 Chase banks to try to notarize an identity theft affidavit. Both refused because it wasn't a Chase Document. Ended up spending $10 at a UPS store

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017