Hail/Rain Damage to roof

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My insurance company covered replacing a roof due to hail damage, but before the roof could be replaced (10,ooo + homes damaged in hailstorm & I had to wait my turn), rain leaks into the house & causes water damage from the leaks some 3 to 4 months after the hail storm months later.      Is the rain damage part of the hail damage claim?   My insurance company says they want me to file a new claim (probably to get another deductible)  even though the rain damaged was caused by the hail damage to the roof, which subsequently leaked before my contracted roofer could get to it!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It sounds like a new loss. Probably should have put a tarp on it or something until you could replace it.

my guess would also be a new claim based on my experiences.

Where do you live?

In all cases I've seen it's up to the insured to mitigate further damage as much as possible - I would have been up there with a few cans of Flex Seal

as a property adjuster for one of the top 5 carriers I can tell you that they SHOULD be covering it under the same claim. If they give pushback tell them that they should have offered to have it tarped for you. you can PM me if you have other questions or need help

I feel it's part of the same claim, fight them on it.  Looks like they want another deductible out of you.

I would think the roofer would've put up a tarp until they got to it to mitigate damage or that the insurance company would've instructed that company to do it.  

Yes, I had this exact scenario happen to me and it was covered under the same claim.

Did they already pay you for the repair and you just havent gotten it done yet, or is the claim still open while they wait to pay the roofer for the work?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017