• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Maybe this is old news but it was new to me... I am dealing with an identity thief who created an account with my information at one of the big three credit bureaus.  The result is I cannot view the activity on that bureau's credit report.

BACKGROUND:  Credit score is 800+.  About every two weeks, I usually check my activity on one of the free credit monitoring websites.  Well, today (October 9, 2016) I am checking and I see a couple new hard pulls (also dated October 9, 2016)  that I did not authorize (CITIZENS BANK and NEW EGG).  I call both of those companies but everyone is unavailable until Tuesday (Monday is a bank holiday). I look closer at my report and see more unauthorized soft pulls (LENDINGCLUB, etc) also dated today.  I have not applied for any new credit in a couple months so I figure it is fraudulent activity. I go to the website of one of the credit bureaus to submit an initial fraud alert and review my report.  Easy and done.  The trouble started once I move on to the next credit bureau.  The website won't let me create an account because "You already have an account with us."  Well, it is possible I did at one time but the website does not recognize the half dozen e-mail addresses I have had over the past two decades.  I end of calling the credit bureau and they tell me I just created my account recently with an  AOL.com e-mail.  Since I have never had AOL e-mail address, this was a surprise.  It seems someone had enough information about me to create a fake account at the credit bureau (which gave them access to my credit report) and they are now shopping around (personal loan?).   The credit bureau told me that they would delete the account and I could re-apply for a new account... but it hasn't worked yet.  Every time I try to create an account, the website states 'You already have an account with us."  The credit bureau states that account has been deleted but we may have to wait for the system to update before I can create an account.

TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE #1
I think thieves were at least partially successful. Since Lending Club does soft pulls, I thought I would submit an app online and see how much they would lend me (and potentially the identity thieves).  When I submitted an application, the website stated the application was denied because of "Insufficient number of satisfactory payments on existing Lending Club loan(s)."  Since I don't have any existing loans with Lending Club, I am guessing those are creation of the thieves.  Again, I cannot reach anyone because it is the weekend and Monday is a bank holiday. Ugh!  I was hoping that I caught this issue early enough to stop the thieves but I am not sure.

UPDATE #2
On Tuesday, I was able to confirm that the thief had applied for personal loans with all three companies (amounts ranging from $15k for $17k for unexpected "medical expenses").  I was able to speak to all the companies before they funded the loans so none of the loans made it to funding.  I asked for information I could use for the police report and it seems the thief has most of (if not all of my information): my home address, social security number and date of birth.  The only thing "wrong" on the applications is the e-mail address and phone number (which the lenders shared with me).  I tried to file a police report but all the local agencies directed me to report it on www.ic3.gov (which I did).  As for the credit bureau with the unauthorized account, they went to the atomic solution in that they won't let anyone with my information have account (including me).  I asked them how long this limitation will be in place (particularly since I have not seen the credit report from this bureau) and they cannot give me an answer.  They suggested I make a request through annualcreditreport.com to get the credit report but that fails as well (for just this specific bureau).  Temporarily, I am OK with their atomic solution but it cannot stay that way forever. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
OP, what happened today when you contacted them?

oppidum (Oct. 11, 2016 @ 4:22p) |

UPDATE #2
On Tuesday, I was able to confirm that the thief had applied for personal loans with all three companies (amoun... (more)

FatMoneyClip (Oct. 13, 2016 @ 7:12p) |

Isnt there instructions for placing an off-line request for your free report?  There's no requirement you have online ac... (more)

Glitch99 (Oct. 13, 2016 @ 8:02p) |

TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Best Advice I have seen on this topic in the last hour (from https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/report-identity-theft):

Question  What should I do if someone steals and uses my personal information? How do I report identity theft?

Answer
Visit IdentityTheft.gov, a one-stop resource to help you report and recover from identity theft.
If someone is using your personal information to open new accounts, make purchases, or get a tax refund, take these steps as soon as possible:

• Call the companies where you know fraud occurred.
  • Place a fraud alert on your credit report and get copies of your report.
  • Report identity theft to the FTC.
  • File a report with your local police department.

Depending on your situation, your next step might be closing accounts opened in your name, or reporting fraudulent charges to your credit card company. IdentityTheft.gov can help — no matter what your specific identity theft situation is.

FatMoneyClip said:   TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.Good idea. Here's a similar lesson from Krebs on preemptively creating an account at irs.gov.

Wow, identity theft in progress ....

hope you sort this out soo ... and update here

scripta said:   
FatMoneyClip said:   TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.
Good idea. Here's a similar lesson from Krebs on preemptively creating an account at irs.gov.

LINK https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/registration/prereg1.jsp

of course  A technical problem has occurred. Please try your request again later. Error Code : -9900

Anyone care to post links to the bureaus sign up?

Experian: https://connect.experian.com/register/

Transunion: https://membership.tui.transunion.com/tucm/orderStep1_form.page?

Equifax: Not sure if this is the right place. But use this to sign up for a free trial and then cancel before it charges you. Hopefully it keeps your login and email address active and alive.
http://www.equifax.com/freetrial/

scripta said:   
FatMoneyClip said:   TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.
Good idea. Here's a similar lesson from Krebs on preemptively creating an account at irs.gov.

While you're at it, it's a good idea to make an ssa.gov account.

fwfisawesome said:   Experian : https://connect.experian.com/register/

Transunion: https://membership.tui.transunion.com/tucm/orderStep1_form.page?

Equifax: Not sure if this is the right place. But use this to sign up for a free trial and then cancel before it charges you. Hopefully it keeps your login and email address active and alive.
http://www.equifax.com/freetrial/
For Experian I would register at https://www.freecreditscore.com/ instead (see thread). This is a much better and more useful product IMO, and I'm not sure if you can register for both.

doveroftke said:   scripta said:   FatMoneyClip said:   TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.Good idea. Here's a similar lesson from Krebs on preemptively creating an account at irs.gov.While you're at it, it's a good idea to make an ssa.gov account.True. Alternatively you can block online and automated telephone access to SSA's information about you.

What about freezing your credit? Would this stop anything before it ever starts?

FatMoneyClip said:   Maybe this is old news but it was new to me... I am dealing with an identity thief who created an account with my information at one of the big three credit bureaus.  The result is I cannot view the activity on that bureau's credit report.

BACKGROUND:  Credit score is 800+.  About every two weeks, I usually check my activity on one of the free credit monitoring websites.  Well, today (October 9, 2016) I am checking and I see a couple new hard pulls (also dated October 9, 2016)  that I did not authorize (CITIZENS BANK and NEW EGG).  I call both of those companies but everyone is unavailable until Tuesday (Monday is a bank holiday). I look closer at my report and see more unauthorized soft pulls (LENDINGCLUB, etc) also dated today.  I have not applied for any new credit in a couple months so I figure it is fraudulent activity. I go to the website of one of the credit bureaus to submit an initial fraud alert and review my report.  Easy and done.  The trouble started once I move on to the next credit bureau.  The website won't let me create an account because "You already have an account with us."  Well, it is possible I did at one time but the website does not recognize the half dozen e-mail addresses I have had over the past two decades.  I end of calling the credit bureau and they tell me I just created my account recently with an  AOL.com e-mail.  Since I have never had AOL e-mail address, this was a surprise.  It seems someone had enough information about me to create a fake account at the credit bureau (which gave them access to my credit report) and they are now shopping around (personal loan?).   The credit bureau told me that they would delete the account and I could re-apply for a new account... but it hasn't worked yet.  Every time I try to create an account, the website states 'You already have an account with us."  The credit bureau states that account has been deleted but we may have to wait for the system to update before I can create an account.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE #1
I think thieves were at least partially successful. Since Lending Club does soft pulls, I thought I would submit an app online and see how much they would lend me (and potentially the identity thieves).  When I submitted an application, the website stated the application was denied because of "Insufficient number of satisfactory payments on existing Lending Club loan(s)."  Since I don't have any existing loans with Lending Club, I am guessing those are creation of the thieves.  Again, I cannot reach anyone because it is the weekend and Monday is a bank holiday. Ugh!  I was hoping that I caught this issue early enough to stop the thieves but I am not sure.

Good suggestion.  I worry that it won't completely stop ID thieves.  After all, the credit bureau you called was will to delete the account so you could get a new one on the basis of a phone call.  Thieves with enough info to open an account can probably talk a CSR into deleting your existing one too.

Hopefully, if you have an account, they will send you an email notification if a thief gets it deleted.

I'm quite surprised since one has to know a lot of information about you to open one of those accounts.

shallot said:   I'm quite surprised since one has to know a lot of information about you to open one of those accounts.
  Unfortunately it is quite easy for thieves to get this information. I myself have been a victim of identity theft not once, not twice but 3x!  So I'm kinda a professional on the subject. There are hundreds of ways identity theft can occur--one of the easiest is to simply go through your trash (or your mailbox if not locked) to pick up your Name, Address, and lots of other personal stuff just sitting out there.  I have a locked mailbox from USPS.  But every piece of junk mail or ANYTHING which has my name and/or address on it is shredded in a criss-cross shredder making it into itsy bitsy pieces.  As for making accounts at credit bureaus, that's new to me and interesting.  I always pull my annual report from annualcreditreport.com.  FYI, I have 3 different "free watches" on my credit (Target --identity theft potential;  TJMAXX--identify theft potential:  US Government--identity theft potential-ID stolen---but this one is the big one.  They have everything, SSN, name, bday, address, fingerprints, US Passport info, security background checks--I'm talking the entire kahuna.).  You've got to stay a step ahead.  I change passwords every 4 months (forced at work but I apply it to personal life too).  I was warned years ago to NEVER EVER sign my signature in the digital signature boxes.  AMEX warned me when they first came out that my signature was lifted at a home depot (again, when they were 1st installed)....and used in Vegas.  So, I now scribble "SEE ID" in the box. Be smart as you can and also "freeze" your credit report--that stops everything (no one can open an new credit account in your name--including you).  Just remember, this will never end.  Good luck.    

Don't forget if you get nailed to research some of the lesser know credit bureaus plus Lexus Nexus and Chex Systems. See Doctor of credit, Credit Boards, etc. There are others as well.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/two-credit-bureaus-you-should-free...

Yikes!  I don't envy you getting this cleaned up.  And the timing sucks, to be sure.

But it seems to me that the fraudulently created credit bureau account is the least of your problems.  It's concerning, of course, that someone had enough information to create the account.  And it probably gave them insight into your credit details.  But it didn't give them any greater ability to create fraudulent credit accounts.

As for getting your own info, you should still be able to get all three full credit reports through AnnualCreditReport.com, correct?

Chris.

doveroftke said:   
scripta said:   

While you're at it, it's a good idea to make an ssa.gov account.

That's an understatement.  Any inconsistency in your SSA record (name changes and hyphens to name a couple) and you will be calling to get your account access working.  It could take a couple weeks if they need to send you a verification letter to get access.  Their hold times on the phone can suck too.

Best to create this account long before you need anything from them.

You need to place a credit freeze to stop him from creating any more accounts. It's too late for fraud alert.

scripta said:   

Anyone else try to create an account using the link from Krebs for IRS.gov and keep getting the world's most generic error message:

"Your profile could not be created.  Please try again."

I've tried several times and it's the same thing no matter what browser I use.

bugle said:   scripta said:   FatMoneyClip said:   TAKE AWAY: Create free accounts at the credit bureaus... if only to stop someone else from creating an account in your name.Good idea. Here's a similar lesson from Krebs on preemptively creating an account at irs.gov.Anyone else try to create an account using the link from Krebs for IRS.gov and keep getting the world's most generic error message:

"Your profile could not be created.  Please try again."

I've tried several times and it's the same thing no matter what browser I use.
I haven't done this myself yet. A few other online tools mention a planned outage 10/8-11, maybe it's related.

scripta said:   

I could not see anywhere on the irs.gov website to create a personal account. Please provide a link.

Krebs did write however
krebs said: Unless, of course, the scammers in question are counting on obtaining your tax transcripts through the IRS’s own Web site. According to the IRS, people with a credit freeze on their file must lift the freeze (with Equifax, at least) before the agency is able to continue with the KBA questions as part of its verification process.
It looks like I would have to permanently freeze my record at Equifax to stop the tax transcript dodge to obtain my information. Or at least unfreeze it for short periods of time when I am applying for a credit card. That would certainly crimp my credit card bonus game.

Onenote said:   I could not see anywhere on the irs.gov website to create a personal account. Please provide a link.The link was in the article. But you can also find it this way: irs.gov -> Information For... Individuals -> Online Tools -> Get Transcript -> Get Transcript Online -> First Time Users Get Started

There is one website which has links for all three credit agencies for ordering, anyone know the link for this. did a search and don't know which one it is. thanks

vpr said:   There is one website which has links for all three credit agencies for ordering, anyone know the link for this. did a search and don't know which one it is. thanks
  annualcreditreport.com

FatMoneyClip said:   I cannot reach anyone because it is the weekend and Monday is a bank holiday.

OP, what happened today when you contacted them?

UPDATE #2
On Tuesday, I was able to confirm that the thief had applied for personal loans with all three companies (amounts ranging from $15k for $17k for unexpected "medical expenses").  I was able to speak to all the companies before they funded the loans so none of the loans made it to funding.  I asked for information I could use for the police report and it seems the thief has most of (if not all of my information): my home address, social security number and date of birth.  The only thing "wrong" on the applications is the e-mail address and phone number (which the lenders shared with me).  I tried to file a police report but all the local agencies directed me to report it on www.ic3.gov (which I did).  As for the credit bureau with the unauthorized account, they went to the atomic solution in that they won't let anyone with my information have account (including me).  I asked them how long this limitation will be in place (particularly since I have not seen the credit report from this bureau) and they cannot give me an answer.  They suggested I make a request through annualcreditreport.com to get the credit report but that fails as well (for just this specific bureau).  Temporarily, I am OK with their atomic solution but it cannot stay that way forever. 

FatMoneyClip said:   UPDATE #2
On Tuesday, I was able to confirm that the thief had applied for personal loans with all three companies (amounts ranging from $15k for $17k for unexpected "medical expenses").  I was able to speak to all the companies before they funded the loans so none of the loans made it to funding.  I asked for information I could use for the police report and it seems the thief has most of (if not all of my information): my home address, social security number and date of birth.  The only thing "wrong" on the applications is the e-mail address and phone number (which the lenders shared with me).  I tried to file a police report but all the local agencies directed me to report it on www.ic3.gov (which I did).  As for the credit bureau with the unauthorized account, they went to the atomic solution in that they won't let anyone with my information have account (including me).  I asked them how long this limitation will be in place (particularly since I have not seen the credit report from this bureau) and they cannot give me an answer.  They suggested I make a request through annualcreditreport.com to get the credit report but that fails as well (for just this specific bureau).  Temporarily, I am OK with their atomic solution but it cannot stay that way forever. 

Isnt there instructions for placing an off-line request for your free report?  There's no requirement you have online access, but if they still refuse to mail you a hardcopy of your report, you can thank your little thief for giving you the lawsuit fodder.  Actually, I believe them referring you to annualcreditreport.com rather than process your request as an identity theft victim in itself violates the law.  You are entitled to a free copy of your report due to the fraud, and there's no need to burn your annual free one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017