What's the deadline to file 1040 if you did the 6 month extension?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Oct. 15th is a Saturday so do you get until Monday?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
? I thought IRA deadline is April 15th*(18th this year), regardless of extension or not

Bend3r (Oct. 11, 2016 @ 5:12p) |

Yes I researched it and stand corrected.  I think other SEP type plans like solo 401(ks) allow till filing deadline with... (more)

vickh (Oct. 11, 2016 @ 5:16p) |

TIL - In MA, if you don't owe state tax, you don't have to file for a state extension, it's granted automatically.

BostonOne (Oct. 11, 2016 @ 5:39p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

cutting it close are we?

Bad habit.

Due date is always the next business day if it falls on a weekend/holiday.

shadow520 said:   Due date is always the next business day if it falls on a weekend/holiday.
  OK, wasn't sure if the P.O. is open Saturday it would be due that day too.

shadow520 said:   Due date is always the next business day if it falls on a weekend/holiday.
  +1.
Also, the extension is only for filing the return; not for paying the tax (if you owe). Your taxes were due on April 15. 

atikovi said:   Bad habit.
  yes it's 10-17 11.59PM

Early birds get the worm but sometimes the worms aren't there yet

I got a revised  w-2  2 weeks after 4/15. I wait as long as I can to file after this.

needhelpplease said:   
atikovi said:   Bad habit.
  yes it's 10-17 11.59PM

Early birds get the worm but sometimes the worms aren't there yet

I got a revised  w-2  2 weeks after 4/15. I wait as long as I can to file after this.

I always like to say, "the early bird gets the worm, but the early worm gets eaten."

From the IRS:
If you requested an extension of time to file your tax return, it is due Monday, October 17.

Where is Google when you need it?

tightpapa said:   Where is Google when you need it?
  Yes smartypants, when I Google,  "deadline to file tax return extension" the first result that pops up is, A Federal income tax extension is good for six months, which extends your filing deadline from April 15 to Oct. 15. 

i am also doing it on oct 17th. i made sure it is that date !!

banner at top of first link(s) page
Disclaimer

First result for the query you said you used
Disclaimer

google 2
Disclaimer

google 1
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   
  Yes smartypants, when I Google,  "deadline to file tax return extension" the first result that pops up is, A Federal income tax extension is good for six months, which extends your filing deadline from April 15 to Oct. 15. 

That's because you aren't wanting to find out deadline for tax return extension, that was on April 18th, 2016....

It comes up even in a table before results if you do the long-text  "deadline to file extended tax return" (Who really searches like that?? sorry....  Might as well have typed into Google "OK Google, Tell me when I should file my tax return.  I filed an extension in April.  Thanks, Google!"  Oh wait... that's exactly what you did, just replace Google with FWF :-D )
Or, alternately, it comes up if you use the much more simple and direct "deadline tax return".   And, obviously, if you follow of the first link to any of the above three queries (Even with the wrong query "deadline to file tax return extension"), it's STILL right there on that first results page.

Edit: also, on a banner at the top of the page of the results for each of the queries.

Bend3r said:   
atikovi said:   

That's because you aren't wanting to find out deadline for tax return extension, that was on April 18th, 2016....

It comes up even in a table before results if you do the long-text  "deadline to file extended tax return" (Who really searches like that?? sorry....  Might as well have typed into Google "OK Google, Tell me when I should file my tax return.  I filed an extension in April.  Thanks, Google!"  Oh wait... that's exactly what you did, just replace Google with FWF :-D )
Or, alternately, it comes up if you use the much more simple and direct "deadline tax return".   And, obviously, if you follow of the first link to any of the above three queries (Even with the wrong query "deadline to file tax return extension"), it's STILL right there on that first results page.

Edit: also, on a banner at the top of the page of the results for each of the queries.

tp implied I shoulda Googled it but when I do it gave the wrong answer as the first result. http://www.fototime.com/E33E635DF42FC9F/large.jpg Not sure what your images are trying show.

probably 6 months from april 15th

atikovi said:   
Bend3r said:   
atikovi said:   
  Yes smartypants, when I Google,  "deadline to file tax return extension" the first result that pops up is, A Federal income tax extension is good for six months, which extends your filing deadline from April 15 to Oct. 15.

It comes up even in a table before results if you do the long-text  "deadline to file extended tax return" (Who really searches like that?? sorry....  Might as well have typed into Google "OK Google, Tell me when I should file my tax return.  I filed an extension in April.  Thanks, Google!"  Oh wait... that's exactly what you did, just replace Google with FWF :-D )

tp implied I shoulda Googled it but when I do it gave the wrong answer as the first result. http://www.fototime.com/E33E635DF42FC9F/large.jpg Not sure what your images are trying show.

Then why didn't you just file by the 15th?

Thanks to the OP for reminding me to do my taxes.

hah just finished mine. Totally regret waiting.

Not sure if the same situation, but we filed for an extension of taxes on a deceased person on April 2013, and due to a long wait for things to get settled, the final complete taxes were not filed until July 2016. In this case, the deceased (and now the estate) was owed money, so not sure if that is the same as the OP. The check from the IRS was just received in October, with about $25 in additional interests. I think the interest was about .2% per year, so not a hot deal.

IRS deadlines are always the first non-holiday weekday after the weekend.

EradicateSpam said:   IRS deadlines are always the first non-holiday weekday after the weekend.
  You have to be careful in how you define holiday.  Emancipation Day is a holiday in DC, and Patriots Day in MA and ME.  See:  https://www.irs.com/articles/tax-deadline-alert-2015-tax-returns...

atikovi said:   
Bend3r said:   
atikovi said:   

tp implied I shoulda Googled it but when I do it gave the wrong answer as the first result. http://www.fototime.com/E33E635DF42FC9F/large.jpg Not sure what your images are trying show.

Sorry just trying to point out googling it. This reminds me of when my wife says "I can't find it" - So - I kept telling her, when you do a search LESS IS MORE AND MORE IS LESS. I haven't heard that lately so I think She has finally got it. So it appears if you add  2016 to the search the first page gives the needed answer 2 times. Just remember less is more and more is less.😇 

It will be like New Years Eve, with the clock ticking down to midnight and a finger dropping on the mouse button to click on "submit e-file".

tightpapa said:   
Sorry just trying to point out googling it. This reminds me of when my wife says "I can't find it" - So - I kept telling her, when you do a search LESS IS MORE AND MORE IS LESS. I haven't heard that lately so I think She has finally got it. So it appears if you add  2016 to the search the first page gives the needed answer 2 times. Just remember less is more and more is less.😇 

" I typed a whole sentence into google rather than a search query, AND I specified something I didn't want to know (April 18 was when the 'extension' was due...).  But it didn't give me the right result in the auto-text that shows up before the actual search results.  This Google thing is useless!"

Same thing I was trying to give search tips.  Ideally you would just type in "Tax filing date", "extended tax return", "extended tax deadline", "extended tax due date", "tax due date extension" or any of 1000000 combinations that all give the result right up front.  Instead, OP typed a complete sentence into google rather than a query that referenced the due date of the extension form (April 18), and then threw his hands in the air and gave up...

Back to topic I need to get my taxes done before this weekend too ....  I overpaid them so should get ~$2200 Amazon credit back as a refund.

OP - I've been there and done this - so I can say this with first hand experience: there really is no hard deadline (it doesn't matter whether you took an extension or not). The only rules that come into play are like this:
1) After calculating taxes: If you end up in a refund (from IRS) situation, then you need to claim that within 3 years from the original filing due date (so for 2015 Tax year - you have until 2019 April 15th) after that IRS will not refund you anything.
2) After calculating taxes: If you end up in a OWE (to IRS) situation, then you can never escape that. You must pay it and also you must pay interest from April 15th of 2016 till the day you actually remit your tax dues to IRS.
3) For 2015 Tax year: As soon as the next tax year filing window rolls in, you will loose the ability to e-file and the system will not let you do anything other than do a paper filing of 2015 Tax returns first, wait for it to get accepted and wait for the system to do it's next steps (whether send you a refund or accept your check, depending on what applies to you) and after all is said and done within the IRS' systems regarding your 2015 taxes only then it will recognize you/your tax status for next tax year. I once (about 5 Years ago) had the 3rd tax year roll in and practically faced these 3 steps.....

dealgain said:   OP - I've been there and done this - so I can say this with first hand experience: there really is no hard deadline (it doesn't matter whether you took an extension or not). The only rules that come into play are like this:
1) After calculating taxes: If you end up in a refund (from IRS) situation, then you need to claim that within 3 years from the original filing due date (so for 2015 Tax year - you have until 2019 April 15th) after that IRS will not refund you anything.

2) After calculating taxes: If you end up in a OWE (to IRS) situation, then you can never escape that. You must pay it and also you must pay interest from April 15th of 2016 till the day you actually remit your tax dues to IRS.

3) For 2015 Tax year: As soon as the next tax year filing window rolls in, you will loose the ability to e-file and the system will not let you do anything other than do a paper filing of 2015 Tax returns first, wait for it to get accepted and wait for the system to do it's next steps (whether send you a refund or accept your check, depending on what applies to you) and after all is said and done within the IRS' systems regarding your 2015 taxes only then it will recognize you/your tax status for next tax year. I once (about 5 Years ago) had the 3rd tax year roll in and practically faced these 3 steps.....

Good points Except there is a hard deadline for IRA contributions which is 10/17 this year, right?

vickh said:   

Good points Except there is a hard deadline for IRA contributions which is 10/17 this year, right?

? I thought IRA deadline is April 15th*(18th this year), regardless of extension or not

Bend3r said:   
vickh said:   

Yes I researched it and stand corrected.  I think other SEP type plans like solo 401(ks) allow till filing deadline with extension though?

TIL - In MA, if you don't owe state tax, you don't have to file for a state extension, it's granted automatically.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017