NFCU - Flagship Rewards 30k Bonus 3k spend, 12mo. 0% APR/BTs (no fee)

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/...

Annual fee is waived 1st year, $49 thereafter

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So a 30,000 point signup bonus and 2 points per dollar, but what does a point equal? Looks like based on the redemption option graphic that a point is worth a 5/9 of a cent if redeeming for a gift card and a little less than a cent if redeeming for travel. There are much better options out there.

ETA: The redemption graphic is misleading. See below for actual redemption details.

Found this https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/creditcards/flagship_brochure.pd...
The redemption rate for travel is 1 point = 1 cent
The redemption rate for cash back is 1 point = .75 cent

Can a NFCU non-member easily apply for this offer?

meade18 said:   Found this https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/creditcards/flagship_brochure.pdf 
The redemption rate for travel is 1 point = 1 cent
The redemption rate for cash back is 1 point = .75 cent

Another problem for those only interested in the cash back option is that cash back can only be redeemed in increments of $100 (13,245 points).

So, to get $300 cash back you would need to get to 39,735 points. Since your initial 3k qualifying spend + bonus would only get you up to 36,000 points - you would need to spend an additional $1868 on the card to get to $300 cash back (though it wouldn't have to be within the 1st 3 months).

Another wrinkle: In the fine print, it says "Your savings account will be credited for the cash within 10 business days...."
Not sure if that means you need to open a savings account to use cash back.

There's no list of possible gift cards, and you can't check out the rewards till you become a member.

All in all, a very complicated method of extracting money from this offer.

Why is no one mentioning the obvious great thing about this card? 0% bt with no fee, plus if you read creditboards you would know Navyfed is very generous with credit limits.

mastroadam said:   Why is no one mentioning the obvious great thing about this card? 0% bt with no fee, plus if you read creditboards you would know Navyfed is very generous with credit limits.

They never charge BT fees and have 0% promotions regularly.

And it's in the title.

FYI I believe you can't auto-pay NFCU CC with non-NFCU checking/savings. You must auto-pay with NFCU account, or manually pay each month from non-NFCU account.

scottybweyy said:   FYI I believe you can't auto-pay NFCU CC with non-NFCU checking/savings. You must auto-pay with NFCU account, or manually pay each month from non-NFCU account.
  Don't know either way but in my case what I do is set a recurring monthly ACH  to make payments to NFCU CC from another bank.

Card is great, I've had it since '14 or so, when the bonus was 60k for sign up.  Then I MS'd with it, and built up more points than I can use.  If you just want straight cash back, then forget this card.  If you travel a lot like I do, then this is an awesome way to travel for free, due to the flexibility.  I use Ryan Air a lot, so after I buy tickets on this card, I call NFCU and have the charges credited using the points.  Effectively 2% returns, but again the key is the flexibility to use ALL airline purchases.

scottybweyy said:   FYI I believe you can't auto-pay NFCU CC with non-NFCU checking/savings. You must auto-pay with NFCU account, or manually pay each month from non-NFCU account.

You can auto-pay but it has to be a set amount. You can't have it pay the new balance automatically from an external account.

I see that there have been higher sign up bonuses in the past (60k targeted a couple years ago, 40k last year). Would it be better to wait for this until a higher bonus comes back or will 30k be the new norm? Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions on this before I decide to apply.

aic131 said:   I see that there have been higher sign up bonuses in the past (60k targeted a couple years ago, 40k last year). Would it be better to wait for this until a higher bonus comes back or will 30k be the new norm? Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions on this before I decide to apply.
  Try This and report back

vquasarv said:   
aic131 said:   I see that there have been higher sign up bonuses in the past (60k targeted a couple years ago, 40k last year). Would it be better to wait for this until a higher bonus comes back or will 30k be the new norm? Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions on this before I decide to apply.
  Try This and report back

Hahah, I prefer the magic 8 ball.  Was just curious if someone had a good idea on this.  There's other cards I follow and keep an eye out for to grab at the all-time high bonuses and wasn't sure if someone would have insight on this one.

fattywallace said:   
  Don't know either way but in my case what I do is set a recurring monthly ACH  to make payments to NFCU CC from another bank.

You have auto-pay setup to pay statement balance each month from non-NFCU account? Did you set up online?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017