• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I opened reward checking to take advantage of the high rate of consumer credit union checking account. However, it does have tough requirements to get to highest rate. I remember long ago there was opportunities to do automatic donation, say $1/week. Can I still find that? Any other ideas to help satisfy the requirements? Thanks a lot!

• =inheritComplete at least 12 Debit/Check Card point-of-sale purchases (transactions must be made without using your personal identification number (PIN) to count toward the minimum of 12 and must post and clear your account as a credit transaction on or before the last day of the calendar month)
  •  

Their 4.59% requirements are much tougher ($1000 spent), I don't know if I can do that (unless it lets me to pay tuition) Thank you all FWers for your great ideas!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pre pay utilities? Cell phone? Church tithe?

Amazon e-GC of the lowest possible amount.
Times 12

Buy things. Gift cards if you have to.

I personally decided the 5% rate wasn't worth the trouble of giving them my actual banking business. You're essentially making $6/swipe in additional interest for the ten monthly swipes to qualify. Less your opportunity cost at another bank, of course.

TravelerMSY said:   Buy things. Gift cards if you have to.

I personally decided the 5% rate wasn't worth the trouble of giving them my actual banking business. You're essentially making $6/swipe in additional interest for the ten monthly swipes to qualify. Less your opportunity cost at another bank, of course.

You are totally right. I did not realize how tough the rule is, and in addition, a hard pull! But they already did the hard pull, that's what hurts me the most. so I am thinking of just make it work given the sunk cost (i know that's not rational......)

Just make 12 $1 payments to your cell bill

InsuranceGuy said:   Just make 12 $1 payments to your cell bill
  Add money to your Amazon balance* 12 times**.  It can then be applied towards your next purchase.

*Amazon defaults to running debit cards as debit; not sure if it matters with Consumers, but some rewards checking accounts exclude debit purchases so you need to tell Amazon to process it as credit (rather, un-select the "run as debit" option).

**Doing the bare minimum to qualify each month is never the best strategy; always do a couple extra purchases, even if just for a dollar each.  It may or may not help preserve the benefits, but it definitely doesn't hurt any.

To meet the 12 transaction requirement I just carry my debit card with me. Every time I make a purchase of less than 4 bucks, I use the debit card instead of my credit card. This typically works out to 15-20 transactions a month. Basically I am losing somewhere between $1-4 in value from not using my credit card to make these purchases, but I gain much more than that in interest.

Cell phone, cable, or other utilities for $1.01 x 12. I don't like charging less than $1.01 because the charges look fake for exactly $1.00 (like test authorizations that shouldn't really post) and a lot of places don't accept charges for less than $1.

daw4888 also has a good system that may work better for some people.

double post

Love the credit card vending machine at work. Well, maybe my heart and waistline doesn't.

Just to clarify, the 5% rate require the swipes plus a total spend of $1000, so a bunch of little stuff won't work.

Yes, the 5% rate requirements really tough. I was stupid to think $1000 was a requirement for 12 month...... en........ what's done is done

It's not a bad deal if you actually bank there. But a pita just to try to game. They were pretty smart about the requirements,

Really anti-consumers credit union. Gave it up a long time ago when threatened with highest unsecured loan rate on car loan advertised as 2.5%. Debit card usage was working for third world hourly wages.

TravelerMSY said:   Just to clarify, the 5% rate require the swipes plus a total spend of $1000, so a bunch of little stuff won't work.
  Requires the swipes on the debit card, plus $1k spending on the credit card.  So a bunch of little stuff will work for the debit swipes, but you also need a separate $1k.

Glitch99 said:   
TravelerMSY said:   Just to clarify, the 5% rate require the swipes plus a total spend of $1000, so a bunch of little stuff won't work.
  Requires the swipes on the debit card, plus $1k spending on the credit card.  So a bunch of little stuff will work for the debit swipes, but you also need a separate $1k.

$1000/month in spend is easy if you're willing to pay $11.50 for it.  ($4.95 x 2) + $1.60.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017