what to do - negative VGC balance ?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
hello - hope someone could help. 

i had recently used 3 VGC to purchase MO. before i went to deposit the MO, by habit, i checked the VGC balance online (to ensure they are zero out) and noticed strangely that the money was taken out from the VGC but then the transaction was reversed (ie no money taken out in the end).

this is the first time it happened to me, so i got freaked out that my MO could bounce, so end up not depositing it

the positive balance in VGC continue to stay on for a few weeks, so i decided OK, the MO i bought must be a fluke and unusable.
i ended up using the VGCs to buy another MO - completely drained 2 of them. 

i thought that is the end of the story, but now i realized 2 of the fully-drained VGCs have negative balance, while the 3rd card has a partial amount taken away attributed to the "fluke" MO.
is this what FW folks called "charge-back"?

most importantly, what do i do now?
do i call up the bank on the backside of my VGCs to settle this balance?
or will all these negative charges reverse again in the next few weeks?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I can't help you but I experienced something similar when I was using it for regular purchases. I bought a few things yet the balance on my card stayed untouched. Ultimately I was able to put over $300 above the limit on the card before the issue was fixed. Not sure what ultimately happened and who is left holding the short end of the stick.

That's...strange.

kozo41 said:   hello - hope someone could help. 

i had recently used 3 VGC to purchase MO. before i went to deposit the MO, by habit, i checked the VGC balance online (to ensure they are zero out) and noticed strangely that the money was taken out from the VGC but then the transaction was reversed (ie no money taken out in the end).

this is the first time it happened to me, so i got freaked out that my MO could bounce, so end up not depositing it

the positive balance in VGC continue to stay on for a few weeks, so i decided OK, the MO i bought must be a fluke and unusable.

i thought that is the end of the story, but now i realized 2 of the fully-drained VGCs have negative balance, while the 3rd card has a partial amount taken away attributed to the "fluke" MO.

Rinse and repeat if you can!

kozo41 said:   this is the first time it happened to me, so i got freaked out that my MO could bounce, so end up not depositing it
The MO is completely usable.

fwuser12 said:     Rinse and repeat if you can!

LOL.

xoneinax said:   
kozo41 said:   this is the first time it happened to me, so i got freaked out that my MO could bounce, so end up not depositing it

The MO is completely usable.

But at some point the merchant will likely suffer a chargeback for the excess.

fwuser12 said:   

My neighbor left their door unlocked!   SCORE!  Newish TV and furniture for me!

Were these U.S. postal money orders? Have you filled them out yet? You don't want a federal postal inspector knocking at your door.

LukFilm said:   I can't help you but I experienced something similar when I was using it for regular purchases. I bought a few things yet the balance on my card stayed untouched. Ultimately I was able to put over $300 above the limit on the card before the issue was fixed. Not sure what ultimately happened and who is left holding the short end of the stick.
  Hopefully your credit report in about six months.

umcsom said:   
fwuser12 said:   

My neighbor left their door unlocked!   SCORE!  Newish TV and furniture for me!

Yep, outright fraud.  Knowingly over-using a VGC when you know it has insufficient funds is essentially no different than writing hot checks.

thanks for your thoughts. so i called up the number behind the VGC. they were not helpful at all.
i thought i could just pay them off the negative balance and settle this once and for all. but no, that didnt happen.

they asked me to go back to the 2 diff places where i purchased MO -
(1st place) where i thought i got the "fluke" MO
(2nd place) where i got what i see as the real MO, and i have already deposited this MO long ago.

obviously, i dont want to go back to either place because i will attract attention by having to show the card i used to pay.
i believe the reason i have negative balance now is because the (1st place) attempt to charge my card again after the prior reversal.

so i m kinda stuck.
because 2 of the VGCs have negative balance, while the 3rd VGC have partial balance taken out. and this partial balance is stuck in the "fluke" MO which i have not deposited
i guess i have serendipitously uncovered a way where people can actually take advantage of this loophole and get more money out than they should

the only remaining option i can think of - call up the "fluke" MO company and cancel the MO.
i would need to eat the MO cancellation fee i guess
but the important things is - will this work in returning the money back to the VGC?

another question - how long is the validity of a MO? does it expire after 90 days like personal checks?
i am wondering if i should adopt a wait-and-see approach to see if the funds go back to the card again.

Maybe this is a lesson learned that there's no need to check the balance on already used VGCs after a transaction has taken place which drains the available funds. At least that's the approach I use -- I know the card was loaded with X, I take out X, and done deal.

Even if this occurs say at a place like Wally World, unless they happen to identify you by your camera likeness and link that to your name and personal information, I wouldn't think they could do anything -- short of perhaps calling the cops the next time they spot you at the store? Not sure how realistic of a scenario that could be, but certainly curious if something similar has happened to someone...

luiset83 said:   Maybe this is a lesson learned that there's no need to check the balance on already used VGCs after a transaction has taken place which drains the available funds. At least that's the approach I use -- I know the card was loaded with X, I take out X, and done deal.

Even if this occurs say at a place like Wally World, unless they happen to identify you by your camera likeness and link that to your name and personal information, I wouldn't think they could do anything -- short of perhaps calling the cops the next time they spot you at the store? Not sure how realistic of a scenario that could be, but certainly curious if something similar has happened to someone...

the lesson is actually the opposite

wally world would probably blame the card issuer, since it failed to protect merchants from an obvious glitch.

if OP got blamed, the best WW could do is ban him (or maybe sue in small claims).  cops might show up.  but what could OP be charged with? fraud requires an intent to deceive.  and commercial burglary requires an intent to steal before entering the store.  if OP kept playing this game, then he could get into trouble.  but this isolated, accidental incident is toothless.

kozo41 said:   the only remaining option i can think of - call up the "fluke" MO company and cancel the MO. i would need to eat the MO cancellation fee i guess.

But the important things is - will this work in returning the money back to the VGC ?
No, if you do such, the money will never go back to the VGC.

kozo41 said:   another question - how long is the validity of a MO? does it expire after 90 days like personal checks?
i am wondering if i should adopt a wait-and-see approach to see if the funds go back to the card again.
5 or 6 years, depends upon the state.

The company name that is listed on the front/back of the MO did not sell you the MO. So they have no way to refund since you never paid them anything.

Better question, what is the statute of limitations for fraud in your state?

Crazytree said:   
LukFilm said:   I can't help you but I experienced something similar when I was using it for regular purchases. I bought a few things yet the balance on my card stayed untouched. Ultimately I was able to put over $300 above the limit on the card before the issue was fixed. Not sure what ultimately happened and who is left holding the short end of the stick.
  Hopefully your credit report in about six months.

Right.  'Cuz a Visa Gift Card *always* affects your credit score.  WTF, CT?  Too much blow this morning?

kenblakely said:   WTF, CT?  Too much blow this morning?That cat's pic does not lie.

luiset83 said:   Maybe this is a lesson learned that there's no need to check the balance on already used VGCs after a transaction has taken place which drains the available funds.

I used to think that too, BUT I used a card, waited a month, balance still zero, and then the phone company reversed the payment. I don't have the card anymore to double check, and I'm out $50.

I now save those cards for a lot longer time now, and if I ever get so lucky to go negative on one to be made whole, then so be it.

Chyvan said:   
luiset83 said:   Maybe this is a lesson learned that there's no need to check the balance on already used VGCs after a transaction has taken place which drains the available funds.

I used to think that too, BUT I used a card, waited a month, balance still zero, and then the phone company reversed the payment. I don't have the card anymore to double check, and I'm out $50.

I now save those cards for a lot longer time now, and if I ever get so lucky to go negative on one to be made whole, then so be it.

Hanging on to them is always a good idea.  But there's no reason to keep checking the balance of a fully drained card, unless something happens where you are expecting money to be refunded.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017