• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We typically take standard deduction (no mortgage deduction). 

I know about above the line deductions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above-the-line_deduction but there are other also CREDITS I want to make sure I don't miss out on. TurboTax combines the two (above the line and pg 2 deductions) under deductions.

Are their  better Tax program/ sites that do better for those who take the standard deduction?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you want to take a deduction or a credit? They are different, of course, and addressed in different places and in some cases on different forms.

TurboTax should address them all correctly using negative numbers if need be.

vadeltachi said:   Do you want to take a deduction or a credit? They are different, of course, and addressed in different places and in some cases on different forms.

TurboTax should address them all correctly using negative numbers if need be.

I meant they go thru all together during the "interview" I want something that queries just for credits beyond the standard deduction. Like the child care credit.

I'm not aware of any credits that are affected by whether or not you itemize.

I just use TurboTax. It's a trivial expense compared to doing taxes by hand.

TurboTax Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns
Disclaimer
TravelerMSY said:   I just use TurboTax. It's a trivial expense compared to doing taxes by hand.
  I agree got it for $13 for the deluxe version. My only complaint is they should split credit and deductions section. I go thru it every year only to find out that standard is better, but I can't skip it because I'll miss credits. 

needhelpplease said:   
vadeltachi said:   Do you want to take a deduction or a credit? They are different, of course, and addressed in different places and in some cases on different forms.

TurboTax should address them all correctly using negative numbers if need be.

I meant they go thru all together during the "interview" I want something that queries just for credits beyond the standard deduction. Like the child care credit.

That's the purpose of the interview -- it does not take that long, and it helps ensure you don't miss anything to which you are entitled. After all, there are thousands of deductions and credits, and they and their rules may change every year. If you know exactly what you want to do form-wise, you can always do so directly as long as you using the desktop (that is, not online) version of TurboTax using "forms mode."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017