• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have 2007 Honda Prelude that started having strange engine noises about 5 years ago. It was like some clinking noise, the check engine light never came on but i just decided not to drive it. It's been sitting in my driveway ever since and the paint is starting to show some damage. Being a Honda, it still starts fine and I can move it once in awhile if I needed space on my driveway. I've always thought that I would get it fixed and sell it in good working order to fetch the best price, but seeing as I haven't done it in 5 year, it's probably not going to happen.

Any advice on the most economical way of getting rid of it? I've heard a lot of commercials about donating it to charity but I wouldn't be able to reap that much tax benefit anyways. What would you do?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What do you mean justacog;19673846 said?  I said that.

atikovi (Oct. 27, 2016 @ 5:52p) |

They buy cards for auction.

stanolshefski (Oct. 27, 2016 @ 6:30p) |

OP, where are you located?

Drew510 (Oct. 28, 2016 @ 10:39a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
2007? 2001 was the last year

rated:
Assuming you mean 1997? List it for $995 and take the first $500 buyer. If you value your time more than the hassle of dealing with low lifes coming to your house, list it for $500 FIRM and state that the car will be at xxx Mall from noon to 3pm on Saturday and the first one with cash will own it.

rated:
staufj22 said:   I have 2007 Honda Prelude that started having strange engine noises about 5 years ago.It could just be a pully or alternator or water pump.

rated:
Easier to park for 5 years than figure out what was wrong? Probably was something simple.

rated:
Want max $: Kelley Blu book it and list it on the low range (first figure out what year it is). est ~$2K. No warranty. If they get it checked out by a mechanic chances are you'll hear what's wrong with it and can go from there. That could make a nice high-schooler car.

Easiest: If you are in a high tax bracket, donate it. If not, you can get an quick easy $500 by just taking it to Carmax or such. 

rated:
foxhopper said:   Easier to park for 5 years than figure out what was wrong? Probably was something simple.
  plus on top of that pay insurance...

rated:
Everyone is saying to sell on CL, but donating might be a good option too.

rated:
xoneinax said:   
staufj22 said:   I have 2007 Honda Prelude that started having strange engine noises about 5 years ago.
It could just be a pully or alternator or water pump.

Or valves clearances out of adjustment. Symptom is a regular clicking sound which varies with the engine speed. It's a common problem with Honda DOHC engines (not sure what the Prelude has) and an inexpensive fix.

rated:
How about a 2000 Honda Civic with a check-engine light that's been on for two years? I've got it past emissions test twice in the last two years by using the scanner to turn it off, waiting 2-3 days, going to the emissions station where it passes, but then the light comes on again a couple days later. Otherwise, the car is in wonderful shape. Does this have any resale value?

rated:
I am debating donation vs calling U-Pullit for whatever they will give me for my 1997 Suzuki Sidekick that has been sitting so long the oil seals dried up.

rated:
staufj22 said:   I have 2007 Honda Prelude that started having strange engine noises about 5 years ago. It was like some clinking noise, the check engine light never came on but i just decided not to drive it. It's been sitting in my driveway ever since and the paint is starting to show some damage. Being a Honda, it still starts fine and I can move it once in awhile if I needed space on my driveway. I've always thought that I would get it fixed and sell it in good working order to fetch the best price, but seeing as I haven't done it in 5 year, it's probably not going to happen.

Any advice on the most economical way of getting rid of it? I've heard a lot of commercials about donating it to charity but I wouldn't be able to reap that much tax benefit anyways. What would you do?

Well it can't be a Prelude since they've been out of production since 2001.

Sell it on Craigslist, eBay, local trader paper, online Honda forums, etc.  Hondas are fairly cheap to repair.  I owned a few over the years.  88 Prelude, 91 Prelude, 88 Acura Legend, and a 91 Accord.  

I wish you had more information.  I'd be able to better assist. 

rated:
Argyll said:   How about a 2000 Honda Civic with a check-engine light that's been on for two years? I've got it past emissions test twice in the last two years by using the scanner to turn it off, waiting 2-3 days, going to the emissions station where it passes, but then the light comes on again a couple days later. Otherwise, the car is in wonderful shape. Does this have any resale value?
  Depends on the state. Some just require that you have a working emissions certificate, so in those you would be fine.

rated:
Check engine light is usually emissions related and not a mandatory sign of real engine problems. Something as small as a loose oxygen sensor could both cause the noise and trip the light.

rated:
Re: Honda Civic 2000 with check engine light. There's no noise. The codes say the problem is the catalytic converter but several mechanics told me there does not appear to be any problem with it and there's probably a faulty sensor. Are new sensors expensive? I've been driving 27 months with the light on. I'm thinking of selling it or trading it in if there's any value to it, because I don't know if I can depend on continuing to pass the emissions tests.

rated:
Five years ago a bird pooped on my car, and I didn't like the way it looked with the bird poop on it, so instead of washing it off I just parked in my driveway and left it there. True story.

rated:
Did you change the oil????

rated:
Argyll said:   Re: Honda Civic 2000 with check engine light. There's no noise. The codes say the problem is the catalytic converter but several mechanics told me there does not appear to be any problem with it and there's probably a faulty sensor. Are new sensors expensive? I've been driving 27 months with the light on. I'm thinking of selling it or trading it in if there's any value to it, because I don't know if I can depend on continuing to pass the emissions tests.
  Nearly all states use an OBD-2 test. If the check engine light is on for an emissions system, you fail. That's it.

rated:
Sorry on the typo, it's 1997. I really was hoping to get it fixed back then since I had already dumped a few thousand that year to replace the AC, catalytic converter, AND the transmission. 5 years later it's become an eyesore and a constant reminder that I'm lazy.

Sounds like selling it for cheap ($500) or donating it would be the easiest option. What do they do with donated vehicles with some issues? Sell it for parts?

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
Argyll said:   Re: Honda Civic 2000 with check engine light. There's no noise. The codes say the problem is the catalytic converter but several mechanics told me there does not appear to be any problem with it and there's probably a faulty sensor. Are new sensors expensive? I've been driving 27 months with the light on. I'm thinking of selling it or trading it in if there's any value to it, because I don't know if I can depend on continuing to pass the emissions tests.
  Nearly all states use an OBD-2 test. If the check engine light is on for an emissions system, you fail. That's it.

As I stated in a previous post. I turn off the light with the scanner a few days before the emissions test.  I took it last month and it passed the test. Then the light came on again a few days later.   So I passed the emissions tests the last two times even though the check engine light is almost always on.  It just stayed off long enough to pass the tests.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   

12 states have no inspection whatsoever. and a lot more only have emissions inspections in largely populated areas with no safety inspections.

rated:
Chances are a Prelude will always find a buyer, you just might be dealing with 18 year olds who just watched Fast and the Furious for the first time.

rated:
Wouldn't donate - they will probably have it crushed for recycling.  Find a Prelude or Civic forum with a for sale section.  Put a lot of pics and post it up for $500.  You'll have legitimate takers quickly who will fly down to get your car hooked up.  In a year or two, you'll probably find your car on a Youtube street race video.

rated:
List it for $995 and take the first $500 buyer. If you value your time more than the hassle of dealing with low lifes coming to your house, list it for $500 FIRM and state that the car will be at xxx Mall from noon to 3pm on Saturday and the first one with cash will own it.
~
If you're willing to take $500 for it, Carmax might give you that without all the listing/dealing hassle.

rated:
justacog said:   List it for $995 and take the first $500 buyer. If you value your time more than the hassle of dealing with low lifes coming to your house, list it for $500 FIRM and state that the car will be at xxx Mall from noon to 3pm on Saturday and the first one with cash will own it.
~
If you're willing to take $500 for it, Carmax might give you that without all the listing/dealing hassle.

IIRC, CarMax doesn't buy or sell junkers / clunkers.  They purportedly only want to deal with the higher end cars.

rated:
Mickie3 said:   
justacog said:   List it for $995 and take the first $500 buyer. If you value your time more than the hassle of dealing with low lifes coming to your house, list it for $500 FIRM and state that the car will be at xxx Mall from noon to 3pm on Saturday and the first one with cash will own it.
~

IIRC, CarMax doesn't buy or sell junkers / clunkers.  They purportedly only want to deal with the higher end cars.

They do...for $100

rated:
Mickie3 said:   
~

What do you mean justacog;19673846 said?  I said that.

rated:
Mickie3 said:   
~

They buy cards for auction.

rated:
OP, where are you located?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016