• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://www.lendingclub.com/investor/mileageplus

Received an email today offering 1 UA mile per $2 invested with Lending Club. New investors only; taxable accounts only (no IRAs). 100K mile limit.

It may be that other mileage programs will be or are included - I only received an email from MileagePlus.

I already am an investor with LC, so no-go for me.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I've never used any of these types of "investments". Is there any way to invest conservatively in which you are guaranteed not to lose money, even if it means small returns? Also, how short term can it be?

rated:
Don't open taxable LC account. It will be your nightmare when filing tax.

rated:
samko said:   Is there any way to invest conservatively in which you are guaranteed not to lose money, even if it means small returns? 
  No, their product is unsecured loans. Even for highly-rated borrowers the loans are still unsecure.

rated:
personally, I wouldn't do this. if the miles are taxable, they may claim value at 3-4 cents per point and submit 1099
Would it be worth getting 50k miles if they claim the value of 50k miles are worth $1,500-$2,000?
If you're paying 25% tax rate, you might be paying $500 for 50k miles (1 cent per mile)

rated:
imbatman said:   personally, I wouldn't do this. if the miles are taxable, they may claim value at 3-4 cents per point and submit 1099
Would it be worth getting 50k miles if they claim the value of 50k miles are worth $1,500-$2,000?
If you're paying 25% tax rate, you might be paying $500 for 50k miles (1 cent per mile)


A long time ago I opened a TD Ameritrade account for something like 25,000 American Airlines miles. The miles didn't generate a 1099. I've since closed the account as I didn't need it.

rated:
steve888 said:   Don't open taxable LC account. It will be your nightmare when filing tax.
  it is a lot better now that they are actually giving you forms and explain how to fill the tax return.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016