• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My boyfriend was laid off for awhile, he just found a new job and doesn't have to worry about losing this one. We got behind on our bills. We have 2 kids a 6 year old and a 3 month old. We can't get anyone to give us a loan our credit could be better. He makes great money now and we don't care about interest rate. Just need to get stuff taken care of.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Right OP is not responsible for fixing it.   And I"m not suggesting she spend any money.   The link above is suggestions... (more)

jerosen (Oct. 31, 2016 @ 11:37a) |

OP can check to see if someone else's apartment is sucking off theirs... Unplug everything in every room and turn all th... (more)

letsspendlotsofmoney (Oct. 31, 2016 @ 12:32p) |

To HJ Smallwood (the OP) --

You have no idea how rude Fatwallet can actually get --
yet only a few people have been unplea... (more)

oppidum (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 2:15a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
How much do you owe? What bills are you behind on?

Whats the household income? What are your expenses?

You say "our credit could be better" which sometimes means you have horrible credit. Whats the actual credit scores?

You could look for a credit card with a balance transfer promotional deal.

rated:
Owe- 3000
Bills-elctric,rent,phone,car,groceries,and daily needs
Income will be about 2800
Expenses total about 2200
Credit scores- mine 560.... his- 601
We tried and got denied. We can't get any help every where we apply they turn us down

rated:
1-800-loan mart? careful as it is 25% interest rate.

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   Owe- 3000
Income will be about 2800
Expenses total about 2200

Who do you owe the $3,000 to?  Call anyone you owe, tell them you were out of work but now employed and would like to set up a payment plan for the outstanding balance.  You now have a $600/month surplus, so even if you pay interest, you should still be able to knock out the balance in six months or so.  You don't need to borrow more money.

rated:

generally I agree with dcwilbur.    Use your surplus income to repay the bills over the next several months.  

But it might help to know exactly how the breakdown of bills above are owed.

You've got "rent" in there.    How much rent do you owe currently?  Are you behind on that rent?      Assuming thats owed direct to your landlord then you need to get your rent current as a priority so you don't evicted.

Are the electric and phone owed directly to the providers?    

Are you behind on car payments?

rated:
Electric is 200
Rent 500
Phone-200
Car-700 to pay completely off
Groceries- 250 big weekly
Gas back and forth to work-60 weekly
That's rounding them to theat nearest dollar. I have tryed everything I have got them held off but I have til the end of the month to pay them all up or we lose it all. I've called loan company's and applied online in store and they all turned us down. I didn't even know about this til I Googled desperate for cash loan private lender. I feel horrible for a post like this. We have come so far in our lives. We are recovering addicts 2 years clean I have full custody of my daughter and we have a son. We have never lost our faith and we keep our heads held high. Just pray to catch a break and someone help us out

rated:
jerosen said:   

Are you behind on car payments?

with a 560 and a 601 I think they are behind on EVERTHING and several months at that.

rated:
You got it. We paid what we could when I got paid but I don't have a big income.

rated:
Not getting it - so you are behind and asking for help on forum but you don't think for a moment that $200 phone bill per month is too much or $250 grocery bill per week is too much? Sure if I went to whole foods, $250 may not be too much but at the regular grocery store that I go to - if I bought and consumed $250 worth of groceries every week, my whole family will die of obesity.

rated:
You're not likely to get any more credit at attractive terms with scores that low, other than maybe from friends and family. I don't think you're that bad off considering you only owe one month's income. It sucks, but try to dig yourself out by being frugal. Start with the phones, food and electric bill. Good luck.

rated:
I was asking for someone to point me in the right direction.. phone also includes everything in the house, internet,cable and phone. Groceries include formula for my 3 month sorry. We may only eat 125 in food. And that's making 3 meals everyday.

rated:
Go without the phone/cable bill and you'll be debt-free in 15 months or so.

rated:
Check your W4 to make sure that you don't have excess taxes being taken out of your paycheck. That won't help right away but help longer term.

rated:
You still have cable ?

rated:
Electric is 200Rent 500Phone-200Car-700 to pay completely offGroceries- 250 big weeklyGas back and forth to work-60 weekly

I'm not sure how a place that only rents for $500 is large enough to burn through $200 in electricity each month. Temps are pretty moderate this time of year, so we're not talking about TX heat or the middle of a Minnesota winter. Grab a fan, use an electic blanket and whittle that down.

Groceries - I think there's some money to be saved there. Put Big Lots, Aldi or Winco on your shopping trip list and see where you can save. I see too many people at WalMart who are pushing an overloaded cart of above-average priced groceries, just because of convenience of it being the only store (or only store people are willing to shop at).nearby.

Good luck!

rated:
If you're ok with 10% a week. You can get a loan. It might be unwise though. Drops mic.

rated:
I have to have my cable Internet for school so I can finish getting my degree. I only shop at save a lot, I won't pay WalMart or kroger prices. My house is like 30 years old with bad wiring, I was going to have someone come look at it and get it fixed but then funds wouldn't allow it. My groceries wouldn't be that bad but with formula at 18 dollars a can kind makes it high, and it was supposed to say bi-weekly on that not big. I posted this for like a referal of where to turn. But believe me I have done everything I can up til just recently to keep us going. The past few weeks is when we needed to help the most. I know people say whatever they can to get someone to feel sorry for them and I wasn't doing that. Imy beyond ashamed of the fact I posted something like this but I thought what could it hurt at this point so thank you everyone who has made me feel worse and thinking we haven't done everything possible up until now.

rated:
zapjb said:   If you're ok with 10% a week. You can get a loan. It might be unwise though. Drops mic.

Fine I will pay whatever I have to so I can make sure my kids have a home

rated:
Sorry, I don't understand. What is it you need a loan for? Or the $3000 you mentioned owed to a landlord who's about to evict you?

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   ... but I thought what could it hurt at this point so thank you everyone who has made me feel worse and thinking we haven't done everything possible up until now.

Some numbers didn't make sense - so had to ask. But as you explained, part of the big grocery bill is due to infant and phone includes other things - so cool on those fronts.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Sorry, I don't understand. What is it you need a loan for?

To catch all my bills up

rated:
Ask one of your unscrupulous friends or acquaintances. You should be able to find a shining beacon of light & generosity that will loan you money. Again it might be unwise & lead to unexpected healthcare costs.

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   hjsmallwood said:   ... but I thought what could it hurt at this point so thank you everyone who has made me feel worse and thinking we haven't done everything possible up until now.

Some numbers didn't make sense - so had to ask. But as you explained, part of the big grocery bill is due to infant and phone includes other things - so cool on those fronts.

If I could get them any lower I would. We got turned down for everything. The only help we get is our kids have medical coverage. Trust I would not be asking a random site full of random people for help if I didn't have to

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   I have to have my cable Internet for school so I can finish getting my degree. I only shop at save a lot, I won't pay WalMart or kroger prices. My house is like 30 years old with bad wiring, I was going to have someone come look at it and get it fixed but then funds wouldn't allow it. My groceries wouldn't be that bad but with formula at 18 dollars a can kind makes it high, and it was supposed to say bi-weekly on that not big. I posted this for like a referal of where to turn. But believe me I have done everything I can up til just recently to keep us going. The past few weeks is when we needed to help the most. I know people say whatever they can to get someone to feel sorry for them and I wasn't doing that. Imy beyond ashamed of the fact I posted something like this but I thought what could it hurt at this point so thank you everyone who has made me feel worse and thinking we haven't done everything possible up until now.
  Doesn't WIC provide formula for free?

rated:
zapjb said:   Ask one of your unscrupulous friends or acquaintances. You should be able to find a shining beacon of light & generosity that will loan you money. Again it might be unwise & lead to unexpected healthcare costs.

We did hun. And tell helped when they could, and we are forever grateful for that. I'm not going to worry them and let them know where we stand on finances.

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   
zapjb said:   Ask one of your unscrupulous friends or acquaintances. You should be able to find a shining beacon of light & generosity that will loan you money. Again it might be unwise & lead to unexpected healthcare costs.

We did hun. And tell helped when they could, and we are forever grateful for that. I'm not going to worry them and let them know where we stand on finances.

I hope you find help. But I am amazed your loan was kept current on expressions of gratitude. I would definitely ask them again as a last resort.

rated:
any chance of working part time for either of you?
food shelf access?
which bills (and how much are they) are in imminent danger of being shut off/evicted?

rated:
Glitch99 said:   hjsmallwood said:   I have to have my cable Internet for school so I can finish getting my degree. I only shop at save a lot, I won't pay WalMart or kroger prices. My house is like 30 years old with bad wiring, I was going to have someone come look at it and get it fixed but then funds wouldn't allow it. My groceries wouldn't be that bad but with formula at 18 dollars a can kind makes it high, and it was supposed to say bi-weekly on that not big. I posted this for like a referal of where to turn. But believe me I have done everything I can up til just recently to keep us going. The past few weeks is when we needed to help the most. I know people say whatever they can to get someone to feel sorry for them and I wasn't doing that. Imy beyond ashamed of the fact I posted something like this but I thought what could it hurt at this point so thank you everyone who has made me feel worse and thinking we haven't done everything possible up until now.
  Doesn't WIC provide formula for free?

I'm not aloud to receive it due to thing I did in my past. I lost my chances to apply. We didn't plan on having a baby. I had an IUD and when I went in for my yearly exam and to schedule my tubes to be done SURPRISE.. and he is the best surprise I have ever had I can't imagine my life with out this little guy.

rated:
millervtranger said:   any chance of working part time for either of you?
food shelf access?
which bills (and how much are they) are in imminent danger of being shut off/evicted?

My boyfriend starts his new job next Monday. Where I live we don't have a lot of food pantrys and the one we have all the people that abuse the system make sure no one else can get anything unless you have nothing to do besides stand in line all day. Our phone has to be paid Thursday, rent is due by the end of the month, electric shut off date by friday, car company has called every day asking when I will be in, I have held them off as much as possible. They won't wait any longer

rated:
OK, a lot of people have asked and you haven't answered. Of the $3000 you owe, how much do you owe to whom? The reason I ask is that if you owe a few back months to the electric company, they will probably work with you on a payment plan. Cancel cable tomorrow, keep Internet and watch free streams on Hulu. See if there is a cheaper Internet plan available in your area. Even with your challenging credit scenario, depending on what type of car you have if you only owe $700 on it, you may be able to get it refinanced and that could cover everything, even if the interest rate won't be the greatest.

rated:
Electric is $200?
Check out your local utility company to see if they have any programs for low income households.  In SoCal you can get up to 20% off your monthly bills and there is even a Energy Assistance Fund that pays out a one time grant to cover your utility bill if you are a struggling household.

link to Socal assistance programs  <-- check your local utility company for similar type programs.
Also, how is so much electricity used?  An old refrig?  Incandescent light bulbs?  Fans left on all day?  See if the landlord can upgrade the refrig.  Look for cheap CFL or LED light bulbs - there may be places that still offer free bulbs. 

Groceries - look into WIC and other programs for low income parents with young children.  Clip coupons and only buy things on sale or clearance.  

rated:
Have you tried to get a loan from lendingclub? Rates might be better than the loan sharks. $3000 might be small enough that you will get enough people to fill your loan.

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   My boyfriend was laid off for awhile,

and a 3 month old.

Your boyfriend should have been getting unemployment. Where did that money go? Breast feed and quit wasting money on formula.

rated:
momoman said:   Electric is $200?
Check out your local utility company to see if they have any programs for low income households.  In SoCal you can get up to 20% off your monthly bills and there is even a Energy Assistance Fund that pays out a one time grant to cover your utility bill if you are a struggling household.

link to Socal assistance programs  <-- check your local utility company for similar type programs.
Also, how is so much electricity used?  An old refrig?  Incandescent light bulbs?  Fans left on all day?  See if the landlord can upgrade the refrig.  Look for cheap CFL or LED light bulbs - there may be places that still offer free bulbs. 

Groceries - look into WIC and other programs for low income parents with young children.  Clip coupons and only buy things on sale or clearance.  

I owe the 3000 to my electric company, landlord,phone, car and groceries. I called my electric company and before they will put me on a budget my bill has to be paid in full. I would do Hulu but I have nothing to stream it from. I do coupons went for assistance and was told that when he was working we was over qualified and didn't have a letter stating he wasn't working. We have to wait til we get that before they will help. Imy unable to apply for wic due to past issues.my landlord won't do anything. He was going to have our pipes looked at because our bathroom keeps flooding and hasn't, that's been going on since we moved in. Our house is old and needs new wiring and that will be taken care of in due time. We don't keep anything running so we can save.

rated:
hjsmallwood said:   didn't have a letter stating he wasn't working.

Now your story is starting to sound like a huge made up lie. That's why you apply for unemployment. The UI people will provide proof that you're not working.

rated:
Chyvan said:   hjsmallwood said:   and a 3 month old.

Breast feed and quit wasting money on formula.

I would of but my milk didn't come in til he was 2 weeks old. And Im not waiting money, I'm taking care of my child. He has to eat. Sorry I couldn't breastfeed him, so I was doing the next best thing so he would starve

rated:
When boyfrien at home, you go work. When you home, boyfriend go work. 7 days a week, night and wic-end.

rated:
Chyvan said:   hjsmallwood said:   didn't have a letter stating he wasn't working.

Now your story is starting to sound like a huge made up lie. That's why you apply for unemployment. The UI people will provide proof that you're not working.

Oh they will because you work for his company to. Sorry we feLloyd on hard times and asked to be pointed in the right direction. If I was lying I would be begging for someone to give me the money and I'm not. He applied for unemployment and he was waiting on it but he FOUND another job. If you have such a problem and don't believe me then you don't have to read anything. And I can prove everything I have said. I have my bills, to show you what pay, I will send you the emails where we have requested papers to prove he wasn't working. I will gladly show anyone who wants to call me a liar

Skipping 110 Messages...
rated:

You have no idea how rude Fatwallet can actually get --
yet only a few people have been unpleasant/unfriendly/nasty on your discussion thread --
actually, I have been struck by how kind and patient many of the commenters have been here.

So, believe me when I tell you that you've been treated kindly and patiently here.

Don't get frustrated, don't lash out in your comments here -- just ignore the few unkind posts, and focus on the 90+% that were well-intentioned.

---
To everyone who is saying they should just cut cable right away --

Yes, it's a good idea for them to drop cable tv, of course. I don't have cable, and haven't for years.

(But they should have the internet, because the Mum is a student and needs it for schoolwork, because they have 2 kids who will grow into needing it for school and who hopefully will learn from it and be entertained by it, because they live in a rural area without no big libraries, no coffee shops with free wifi, no nearby retail stores where they can buy stuff as cheaply as Amazon sells it, because the dad might want to look for a second job, etc.)

The thing is, I think that the original poster said that she has a cable/internet/tv CONTRACT.
A lot of those contracts are costly to get out of. If you have a contract, it's not like you can just tell most cable companies that you want to stop the service, and then not owe them anything from then on.
In the short term, it might well be cheaper for the family to keep paying the monthly contract amount rather than pay a big, upfront contract-cancellation fee.

---

Over the years, Fatwallet has had some really good threads about how to save money, how to make a little money on the side (legitimately), how to pay off debts, etc.

Unfortunately they are hard to find, because this website lets most discussion threads fade away regardless of their worth or quality, and they usually "archive" most threads.

But such threads are here on the site, and I would recommend that you do some detailed searches here, and ferret out some of the past threads on those topics that have received many "green" votes, to get some other suggestions for saving money and making money, and to benefit from the encouragement one can feel when one reads about how others have faced and overcome their own financial crises.

Good luck to you!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016