• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am working full time and have a business on the side which my wife mostly runs. It is a home office and retail sale on Amazon.com

9-5PM job pays about 110K and side business income is like ~$50K

The business was small in the beginning and there was no child at the time so I set up the business under my name. But now that there is dependent care of $5K tax deduction advantage where I can send my child to day care, things are different

I can have the business transferred to my wife, but then how many hours of home office she has to work to be qualified as working mother to be qualified for $5K tax deduction.

Also, if she is qualified then our advantage is tax deduction of $5K but then she has to pay soc sec tax.

If business is still under my name then we will not be qualified for $5K tax deduction but then she does not have to pay soc sec tax.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in out situation it does not make sense to pay additional soc sec tax since when I retire at 65 years, she will get half of what I get as retirement check anyway. Unless the business income goes to say 100K, it would not make sense to pay soc sec tax since everybody will be receiving the retirement check, either from the job you worked on or your spouse's half retirement check WHICHEVER IS HIGHER. Is this correct?

What you guys suggest I should do?

Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Oct. 25, 2016 @ 8:03pm
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
What was wrong with your first thread?

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1533156

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016