• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

You can input basic info without entering your personal info or staring an application to see your 2017 premiums. You can go back and change your income to see how it changes your subsidy.

Good luck! 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Man I'm glad my 5+ year old high deductible plan is still working. It's up to $130 a month now but still $200+ cheaper ... (more)

AbbaZabba (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 10:17p) |

What's the lifetime maximum? I'll bet it has one.

sfchris (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 10:32p) |

Definitely true. I'd say the majority of calls I went on, the people agreed to take the ride and they did get billed. Bu... (more)

meade18 (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 8:28a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If you liked paying your premium 3 years ago, you'll like it twice as much now.

rated:
xerty said:   If you liked paying your premium 3 years ago, you'll like it twice as much now.
 If you liked the "family glitch" 3 years ago, you'll like it twice as much now.  Ugggggghhhh, it sucks being middle class with a family these days.

rated:
Looks like I'm paying about $30 more a month. 10% increase. Ugh

Actually, for an apples to apples comparison it's going up about $66. Fark

rated:
Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...

rated:
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
 Are you getting subsidies now that you weren't getting previously?

rated:
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
  
Is your current employer smaller than 50 people?    If so then ACA employer mandate penalties don't apply.   

It would be pretty unusual if you see ACA premiums go down.    Maybe you aren't doing a straight apples to apples comparison on what you looked at for ACA premiums previously versus now?    
Its also unusual for ACA to be more than COBRA.   Are you in your 50's or older?   That could explain it.      Or again it may not be apples to apples if your previous health care wasn't all that good the COBRA could be cheaper.

 

rated:
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
Well Switch then!
  Those premiums start 1/1/2017.  You need to continue COBRA until then

mine went up $25 about 5% more than this year.

rated:
jerosen said:   Its also unusual for ACA to be more than COBRA.   Are you in your 50's or older?   That could explain it.      Or again it may not be apples to apples if your previous health care wasn't all that good the COBRA could be cheaper.
  COBRA could be from a large group plan that's got better quality health than the average poor/sick person on the ACA exchange.  The network for COBRA could also be a lot better too, it could be a PPO vs HMO (good luck finding PPOs anymore as an individual), etc.  These days I would think really hard before switching away from COBRA if you like your current insurance.

rated:
My parents' health insurance costs will now be more than the mortgage payment on their 400K house!

Thanks, Obama!

rated:
wow coverage for my wife and I ..both 32..bronze plan 700 a month...wtf. self employed sucks sometimes

rated:
xerty said:   
jerosen said:   Its also unusual for ACA to be more than COBRA.   Are you in your 50's or older?   That could explain it.      Or again it may not be apples to apples if your previous health care wasn't all that good the COBRA could be cheaper.
  COBRA could be from a large group plan that's got better quality health than the average poor/sick person on the ACA exchange.  The network for COBRA could also be a lot better too, it could be a PPO vs HMO (good luck finding PPOs anymore as an individual), etc.  These days I would think really hard before switching away from COBRA if you like your current insurance.

  
There are probably a lot of ways the COBRA plan could be less than an ACA plan or vice versa.    More often what I've seen is COBRA is more than an ACA plan.   But people are comparing a very good employer COBRA plan at group rates to a minimal ACA plan.    The age will matter with ACA plans.    people in their 60's can pay 3x what someone in their 20 pays and the age won't impact the COBRA rates.    So I was thinking maybe they are older and paying more with ACA simply due to the age.     But yeah it could be HMO vs PPO and any number of other differences that explain the cost differences.    who knows...



 

rated:
There is an article on 2nd page of today's print edition of the Wall Street Journal that noted that due to many insurers leaving the exchanges outright or discontinuing existing plans that those exchange consumers who find out their plan is discontinued will be given a little extra time to choose another plan and enroll.  Don't have the paper with me right now so I can't post the exact extension date but perhaps someone else here has the information and can post it.

The article also mentioned that the Silver plans rose on average 25%.   Again, this is on average, so some people are going to experience larger or smaller increases.  

rated:
bighitter said:   There is an article on 2nd page of today's print edition of the Wall Street Journal that noted that due to many insurers leaving the exchanges outright or discontinuing existing plans that those exchange consumers who find out their plan is discontinued will be given a little extra time to choose another plan and enroll.  Don't have the paper with me right now so I can't post the exact extension date but perhaps someone else here has the information and can post it.

The article also mentioned that the Silver plans rose on average 25%.   Again, this is on average, so some people are going to experience larger or smaller increases.  

  
http://www.wsj.com/articles/aca-deadline-extended-for-those-who-... of thousands of consumers whose health insurance plans are being discontinued for 2017 will get some flexibility when signing up for a new plan during the Affordable Care Act’s open enrollment, a sign of continued turmoil in the exchange markets.Open enrollment for 2017 begins Nov. 1. The Obama administration wants consumers with discontinued plans on the health law’s exchanges to select a new plan by Dec. 15."
 

rated:
Rates are going up too much and there will be backlash. I also support mandatory insurance, my solution wouldn't be repealing Obamacare, it would be government run with negotiated pharmaceutical rates and enrollment for all with raising FICA to fund it split between employer and employee. As a medical professional my pay would be decreased slightly as would all others. We could get the cost down about a 3rd of the way pretty quickly.

rated:
bighitter said:   The article also mentioned that the Silver plans rose on average 25%.   Again, this is on average, so some people are going to experience larger or smaller increases.  
  I'm on a state plan and it looks like my Silver policy will be a little cheaper with a lower copay. Also the subsidy is more. Thanks Obama.

rated:
raringvt said:   
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
 Are you getting subsidies now that you weren't getting previously?

  I wish, my friend.
jerosen said:   
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
  
Is your current employer smaller than 50 people?    If so then ACA employer mandate penalties don't apply.   

It would be pretty unusual if you see ACA premiums go down.    Maybe you aren't doing a straight apples to apples comparison on what you looked at for ACA premiums previously versus now?    
Its also unusual for ACA to be more than COBRA.   Are you in your 50's or older?   That could explain it.      Or again it may not be apples to apples if your previous health care wasn't all that good the COBRA could be cheaper.

 

  Not sure how it's relevant. I just simply stated my current employer doesn't offer healthcare--that's all that matters. I genuinely am not understanding why it matters for this discussion? Enlighten me? (seriously, not being a dick)

I am comparing the same three plans, from three different insurance companies, that I looked at prior to September (when I was making the decision between COBRA and the marketplace). COBRA was cheaper ($1080ish for two people) compared to $1150ish for two people on the marketplace. Now those same premiums on the marketplace are under $1000--FOR THREE PEOPLE (myself, wife, kid coming in Dec). Very strange. We're well under 50--a little over halfway there.

COBRA/previous employer offering is Aetna Open Choice Managed or something similar. $700pp deductible, $20-$40 copays, $250 ER, 20% coinsurance for a few special procedures up to OOP max (which is $3600 I believe for the group). Comparing this to similar deductible silver plans on the NYS marketplace.

ETA: I may consider comparing to an HSA HDHP on the marketplace. Premiums should be cheaper and higher deductibles/OOP max, but HSA means tax-free healthcare for $5-6k per year, whereas now the premiums are less than 10% of my income, and even with the max OOP met, still under 10%--no tax free healthcare at all in this scenario.

rated:
jaytrader said:   
raringvt said:   
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
 Are you getting subsidies now that you weren't getting previously?

  I wish, my friend.
jerosen said:   
jaytrader said:   Seems strange. Left my corporate employer for a much smaller company in August/Sept timeframe. New company doesn't offer medical. I looked at ACA premiums and they were higher than COBRA. I am paying for COBRA. Now, premiums seem to have decreased...
  
Is your current employer smaller than 50 people?    If so then ACA employer mandate penalties don't apply.   

It would be pretty unusual if you see ACA premiums go down.    Maybe you aren't doing a straight apples to apples comparison on what you looked at for ACA premiums previously versus now?    
Its also unusual for ACA to be more than COBRA.   Are you in your 50's or older?   That could explain it.      Or again it may not be apples to apples if your previous health care wasn't all that good the COBRA could be cheaper.

 

  Not sure how it's relevant. I just simply stated my current employer doesn't offer healthcare--that's all that matters. I genuinely am not understanding why it matters for this discussion? Enlighten me? (seriously, not being a dick)

I am comparing the same three plans, from three different insurance companies, that I looked at prior to September (when I was making the decision between COBRA and the marketplace). COBRA was cheaper ($1080ish for two people) compared to $1150ish for two people on the marketplace. Now those same premiums on the marketplace are under $1000--FOR THREE PEOPLE (myself, wife, kid coming in Dec). Very strange. We're well under 50--a little over halfway there.

COBRA/previous employer offering is Aetna Open Choice Managed or something similar. $700pp deductible, $20-$40 copays, $250 ER, 20% coinsurance for a few special procedures up to OOP max (which is $3600 I believe for the group). Comparing this to similar deductible silver plans on the NYS marketplace.

ETA: I may consider comparing to an HSA HDHP on the marketplace. Premiums should be cheaper and higher deductibles/OOP max, but HSA means tax-free healthcare for $5-6k per year, whereas now the premiums are less than 10% of my income, and even with the max OOP met, still under 10%--no tax free healthcare at all in this scenario.

  

It doesn't matter why your employer doesn't offer insurance.  I was just curious.      With ACA employers are supposed to be required to offer coverage, and the only exception I was aware of is for small companies.    

It is unusual that your premiums would go down.    Thats definitely the exception to the rule.     

 

rated:
I'm looking at 15+% increase in the WA state HSA plans. Deductible went up by a grand.

rated:
Not really ACA/exchange question but... What are your options (if any) if you really don't like your employer's "offerings"? My employer eliminated the PPO this year so now there's an option between two nearly identical "EPO"/HMO-lite plans. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I was seeing as essentially HMO's had such a deservedly bad reputation that the insurance co's created EPO's which are HMO-networks's with the one difference of no PCP referral required?  To top it off, of course since it's a new plan they aren't required to have any summary plan description available until next year, even though open enrollment is only ~3 weeks long and ends in November.  You get to sign up to pay for something without knowing even what it is...)

Do private insurance plans even exist to supplement primary insurance plan from an employer? No idea where to even get private insurance, google searches turn up pretty sketchy websites and no quotes. (In TX).  Or, is it all-or-nothing (refuse the employer insurance and go buy one in full)?
I'll probably end up just sticking with the employer option and considering it as a ~$4k pay cut.

rated:
In 2010 I had a pre-obamacare catastrophic insurance policy($10,000 deductible) that was $70 a month... if I were to buy a policy now the cheapest bronze 0bamacare plan($6,650 deductible with fewer network providers) would cost me $230 a month... a 228% increase.

rated:
brettdoyle said:   In 2010 I had a pre-obamacare catastrophic insurance policy($10,000 deductible) that was $70 a month... if I were to buy a policy now the cheapest bronze 0bamacare plan($6,650 deductible with fewer network providers) would cost me $230 a month... a 228% increase.
 
Did your old plan have zero co-insurance after the deductible was covered?
What about the cheapest bronze plan?

How about max out of pocket?


I don't doubt that your old insurance was probably cheaper, in an absolute sense, I'm just curious about being able to see a more complete comparison, since deductible and premium is only part of the picture.

rated:
jerosen said:   
  

It doesn't matter why your employer doesn't offer insurance.  I was just curious.      With ACA employers are supposed to be required to offer coverage, and the only exception I was aware of is for small companies.    

It is unusual that your premiums would go down.    Thats definitely the exception to the rule.     

 

Gotcha. Thanks. I was trying to understand how the two were related. Yes, my new employer employs less than 50 people.

I also find it strange that the premium on the marketplace went down but I'll take it if I leave COBRA!

rated:
When talking about increases, shouldn't the denominator be total annual healthcare spend and not just the premium? Premium is a small part of total costs, also have deductible then up to out of pocket max.

In the example below, if you hit the deductible you are actually spending LESS. Old policy = $10,840 per year (premium + deductible) New Policy = $9,410. New policy also includes free preventative healthcare, no lifetime limits, etc.

Also curious as to the out of pocket max on the catastropic insurance policy...$10k doesn't get you too far in the American health system

In 2010 I had a pre-obamacare catastrophic insurance policy($10,000 deductible) that was $70 a month... if I were to buy a policy now the cheapest bronze 0bamacare plan($6,650 deductible with fewer network providers) would cost me $230 a month... a 228% increase.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Not really ACA/exchange question but... What are your options (if any) if you really don't like your employer's "offerings"? My employer eliminated the PPO this year so now there's an option between two nearly identical "EPO"/HMO-lite plans. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I was seeing as essentially HMO's had such a deservedly bad reputation that the insurance co's created EPO's which are HMO-networks's with the one difference of no PCP referral required?  To top it off, of course since it's a new plan they aren't required to have any summary plan description available until next year, even though open enrollment is only ~3 weeks long and ends in November.  You get to sign up to pay for something without knowing even what it is...)

Do private insurance plans even exist to supplement primary insurance plan from an employer? No idea where to even get private insurance, google searches turn up pretty sketchy websites and no quotes. (In TX).  Or, is it all-or-nothing (refuse the employer insurance and go buy one in full)?
I'll probably end up just sticking with the employer option and considering it as a ~$4k pay cut.

  Depends on your employer policy.  For example, working for the government might 'require' you to take their insurance and not ACA.
 

rated:
Slider said:   When talking about increases, shouldn't the denominator be total annual healthcare spend and not just the premium? Premium is a small part of total costs, also have deductible then up to out of pocket max.

In the example below, if you hit the deductible you are actually spending LESS. Old policy = $10,840 per year (premium + deductible) New Policy = $9,410. New policy also includes free preventative healthcare, no lifetime limits, etc.

Also curious as to the out of pocket max on the catastropic insurance policy...$10k doesn't get you too far in the American health system

In 2010 I had a pre-obamacare catastrophic insurance policy($10,000 deductible) that was $70 a month... if I were to buy a policy now the cheapest bronze 0bamacare plan($6,650 deductible with fewer network providers) would cost me $230 a month... a 228% increase.

  You are correct that the deductible, co-pays and out of pocket maximum should be taken into account in the evaluation.    Also if you want a PPO, you should verify that a PPO is still offered on your exchange.  In California, it looks to me as if the only remaining insurer to currently offer a PPO is Blue Shield.

Unless you are under 30 years old, ACA makes it nearly impossible now to buy a catastrophic policy per the insurance broker I spoke with recently.  If anyone here on FW knows a workaround for those of us who are over 30, I'd love to hear it.

According to a television news report this evening, the premium increases vary widely depending upon the state:

Arizona - premiums are more than doubling on Silver plan
Oklahoma - premiums are up 69%
Illinois - premiums are up 43%
North Carolina - premiums are up 40%
Indiana - premiums are down 3%

rated:
Down to two poor HMO choices from HealthNet and >2x increase

rated:
Recently laid off. 2016 plan $180 for a 29 year old. 2017 is 320. Kinda crazy since my actual health care spending in the last decade is probably under $500 a year. My super over exaggerated $500 cobra isn't looking so terrible now.

rated:
bighitter said:   Unless you are under 30 years old, ACA makes it nearly impossible now to buy a catastrophic policy per the insurance broker I spoke with recently.  If anyone here on FW knows a workaround for those of us who are over 30, I'd love to hear it.

 

If your policy was cancelled due to the ACA, you can complete a hardship exemption form and either send it an insurer or the government. The exemption eliminates the tax penalty and gives you the ability to buy a catastrophic policy. Not surprisingly, insurers may not be too excited about selling a policy priced for someone less than 30 to someone who isn't.

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemption-form-instructions/
   

rated:
This year, I will pay $1k/mo for an employer family plan with a $5,000 deductible.  My premium is only increasing $20/mo, but the deductible went from $2k up to $5k!!!  Because my coverage (employee only) is "affordable" we do not qualify for any Obamacare subsidies.  The family glitch is absolutely killing us!  Similar plans under Obamacare would cost more like $1,500/mo without subsidies.  As much as I hate to say it, I am going to be looking for a job that offers better health insurance at a more affordable rate.  It has become such a major expense for our family, almost as much as our mortgage!

rated:
CapEx said:   Recently laid off. 2016 plan $180 for a 29 year old. 2017 is 320. Kinda crazy since my actual health care spending in the last decade is probably under $500 a year. My super over exaggerated $500 cobra isn't looking so terrible now.
  That money isn't for your healthcare, it's to supplement the costs for all the sick people on the plans. Supposedly one of the main reasons costs are rising is because not enough young (healthy, low expense) people are enrolling.   If you are really healthy it might be cheaper to just take the tax penalty. I believe it's 2.5% up to around $2100 or so max for the year. 

rated:
raringvt said:   Because my coverage (employee only) is "affordable" we do not qualify for any Obamacare subsidies.  
  I thought subsidies are based on family income?

rated:
strange, my premium dropped, now $120 with $2750 dedctuble for 2017. thanks obama!

rated:
arch8ngel said:   
brettdoyle said:   In 2010 I had a pre-obamacare catastrophic insurance policy($10,000 deductible) that was $70 a month... if I were to buy a policy now the cheapest bronze 0bamacare plan($6,650 deductible with fewer network providers) would cost me $230 a month... a 228% increase.
 
Did your old plan have zero co-insurance after the deductible was covered?
What about the cheapest bronze plan?

How about max out of pocket?


I don't doubt that your old insurance was probably cheaper, in an absolute sense, I'm just curious about being able to see a more complete comparison, since deductible and premium is only part of the picture.

  

You bring up good points that could be researched but the point I was trying to make is that many individual's monthly expense would have more than tripled... whether or not they are getting additional value from that tripled expense is another issue.

Personally my health care expenses have for all intensive purposes been $0 for the last decade aside from a few basic like contact lenses and a few minor illnesses like strep throat and thus I get zero additional utility from the government mandated benefits.  

rated:
brettdoyle said:   
 
Personally my health care expenses have for all intensive purposes been $0 for the last decade aside from a few basic like contact lenses and a few minor illnesses like strep throat and thus I get zero additional utility from the government mandated benefits.  

  that's not the point of insurance

rated:
ntr91 said:   My parents' health insurance costs will now be more than the mortgage payment on their 400K house!

Thanks, Obama!

  I'm not denying it's a bad situation, but at least state the mortgage amount and not the value of the house. You could reverse this and say my housing expense is less than my insurance premiums (or any other fixed expense you have) to exclaim how great your housing costs are.

On a more philosophical level, isn't your parents' health more important than their house?

rated:
you mean the UCA ,,what a CF

rated:
These plans are absolutely garbage for younger, healthier people.

2 years ago I could buy a $5k deductible, major medical policy for about $100/mo as a 32 yr old. Now a $6200 deductible policy....cheapest available is $367/mo.

Wonderful improvement.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   brettdoyle said:   
 
Personally my health care expenses have for all intensive purposes been $0 for the last decade aside from a few basic like contact lenses and a few minor illnesses like strep throat and thus I get zero additional utility from the government mandated benefits.  

  that's not the point of insurance


The point of insurance most definitely isn't mandating coverages with $0 co-pays.

Skipping 130 Messages...
rated:
BrianGa said:   
meade18 said:   Not just elderly, but poor and elderly poor. In the city where I worked (as a police officer), the rule was that you didn't get charged a dime for the ambulance unless they drove you to the hospital. You could call 911 with the largest gash in your head and the paramedics could load you into the ambulance, treat your wound with the best stuff they have on board, pack a pound of gauze in there and stabilize you, and as long as you are awake enough to say you are going to the hospital via another means, they don't charge you a dime. There are plenty of people that know this and use the ambulance as their personal triage center.
I was an EMT for a municipality and we billed for treat-and-release, so YMMV. And most people who abuse ambulances do it because they want a ride, not because they want free gauze.

Definitely true. I'd say the majority of calls I went on, the people agreed to take the ride and they did get billed. But yeah, I absolutely saw a good amount of people that used it as an extremely expensive taxi that they were never going to pay the bill for anyway.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016