• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Had donated previously to an organization affiliated with a political party.  Found a charge I did not authorize or approve get emailed to the same email address on file so I saw it go through.  They used the same information I had used in the past.  I called up both parties.  Had charges reversed and called issuer to have a new card number issued.  It was not a recurring transaction because it was for a different amount than the other charges I made.

Do you believe this was a cyberattack where someone just tested to see if a card was active or the organization itself?  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My guess is that someone who works in telemarketing for that organization submitted a fraudulent charge using your information which was on file so they could meet their sales quota / boost their sales commission.

I'm assuming the charge on your card came from the same exact organization. If the charge was from a vaguely similar name then it may have nothing to do with the political organization and may be just thieves trying to mimic the legit organization. I had a fake charge from something that mentioned "Allstate" I've never dealt with Allstate insurance, but I bet some people who are actually Allstate customers wouldn't pause at a charge with Allstate in the name. Thus a thief might slip a bunch of those by people. Similarly if you gave to Trump / Hillary any fake charges with one of those names might slip by some people even if it really has nothing to do with Trump/Hillary.    ETA: And of course since they had your email and the charge generated an email to you that really means it wasn't a random ID theft.

ETA2:   By any chance did the charge come 1 month after your earlier donation in the same amount?      Maybe you accidentally signed up for monthly donations or it could have also just been a clerical error of that nature.

rated:
No, previous donation was more than a month away and for a different dollar amount. It was an official political organization. I do make donations but didn't make any donations this week for when the charge was apparently processed.

rated:
Someone needed to make quota...

rated:
rsuaver said:   Someone needed to make quota...

They pulled a Wells Fargo on OP.

rated:
This has been occurring to other folks as well.

KARE 11 TV

rated:
So, was it crooked Hillary or dumb Trump?

rated:
Did you make the initial donation to a Democrat, and was it through Actblue?

If you agreed to save your credential for one-click donations, it's really easy to accidentally donate again.

There are similar one-click options for GOP candidates, but they're not as prevalent (nor do they have the high refund rate) as Actblue.

rated:
 It was an official political organization.
what is the organization?

rated:
There was a major GOP donation site (I forget exactly what) that was compromised. Could that have been the cause?

rated:
lonestarguy said:   This has been occurring to other folks as well.

KARE 11 TV

It seems to happen on both sides.  

THERE’S NO WAY TO CANCEL RECURRING DONATIONS http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/08/donald-trump-campaign-don...

On a side note, why do people feel the need to donate to a political campaign? When the candidates net worth drops below my net worth, I'll consider it. If s/he really wants to win, s/he will use his/her own money. Otherwise, your contribution is just supporting their lifestyle. 

Maybe, one day, there will be some real campaign contribution reform. Other countries have found a way. 

rated:
I have donated over a multiyear period. Never had a problem before. I do recall making a donation recently but it was not in the timeframe of the Charge thst went through which I got an email for. The truth is I regularly donate and the dollar amount wasn't so large. But the charge came in that I didn't recall making with an email saying it was processed for a week which I know for certain I did not donate in. An email came through with the charge going thru at the beginning of a week I know I didn't donate on.

Didn't want to turn this into a political thread. My card issuer expedited a replacement card for no extra cost which I received already. Fortunately some issuers are better than others on this. It happens I guess.

rated:
Is it not obvious??

rated:
stanolshefski said:   Did you make the initial donation to a Democrat, and was it through Actblue?

If you agreed to save your credential for one-click donations, it's really easy to accidentally donate again.

There are similar one-click options for GOP candidates, but they're not as prevalent (nor do they have the high refund rate) as Actblue.

Not only that but ActBlue has had a bug for a while (they fixed it but then it came back) where it will save your card info even if the box is not checked.  That and they allow candidates to use really misleading e-mail tactics like a link that says "Click to watch the video and donate to the campaign" that does an automatic donation if your info is on file.  And no, I don't feel very bad sharing this after having told them about it many times and for the most part only getting rude form replies telling me to clear my cookies or some BS like that (the info is saved in the account, not in cookies)

rated:
Wonder if the link will post ? hillarys campaign over chargeing her poorest supporters and always LESS than 100$ total. was it the clinton campaign perhaps ??
https://www.google.com/amp/observer.com/2016/09/exclusive-hillary-clinton-campaign-systematically-overcharging-poorest-donors/amp/

rated:
owenscott said:   Wonder if the link will post ? hillarys campaign over chargeing her poorest supporters and always LESS than 100$ total. was it the clinton campaign perhaps ??
https://www.google.com/amp/observer.com/2016/09/exclusive-hillary-clinton-campaign-systematically-overcharging-poorest-donors/amp/

Given that the story comes from a newspaper owned by Trump's son-in-law, I'm inclined to take it with a grain of salt.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016