• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Had an 11am routine appointment and see their office called my cell at 8am. I didn't answer because it looked like a telemarketing call but they didn't even leave a voicemail. I drove out there and came back home after being told all that doctor's (actually a nurse practitioner) appointments were canceled. Waste of a morning. Even showered for it. I know they require 24 hours notice if I cancel, otherwise get charged $50, doesn't it work the other way around?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You sound like that guy whose electricity went out and asked FWF how to get reimbursed for spoiled food in the fridge.

matrix5k (Oct. 29, 2016 @ 2:37a) |

He should be entitled to sue if for no other reason than that!  Even more so if he brushed his TOOTH as well. 

Mickie3 (Oct. 29, 2016 @ 8:52a) |

May be OP forgot to shower for the last appt and hence the cancellation. They didn't know he showered this time. He shou... (more)

Veeekay (Nov. 01, 2016 @ 12:37a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
No.

rated:
Not fair.

rated:
They should at least compensate you for showering...what a waste!

rated:
Take them to smalls claims court and give it a try, if you are up for it. Definitely a huge YMMV.

rated:
Realistically, you aren't going to get anything. But there is something you can do. Call the office and explain how they have a policy where they charge $50 for a cancelled appt within 24 hours. Tell them that you moved around your schedule for the appt and their cancellation was a major nuisance. Tell them you want it put in your file that if in the future you have to cancel within 24 hours, you get one freebie without the $50 charge on account of their cancellation. It may work.

rated:
They called. You did not answer, wrongly thinking it was telemarketer. Don't see how that is their fault.

rated:
I think the 3 $'s in the title is what Atikovi is hoping to make from this.

The real answer is Zero. The most OP can do is go into the office and tell them he is changing doctors...that'll teach em!

rated:

rated:
You even took a shower!!

rated:
I had a similar situation where I got a couple calls from a random number I'd never seen before and finally just called it back. Was my doctor's office trying to pass some info. I asked why they didn't leave a voicemail and they indicated that they just don't leave voicemails anymore for HIPPAA reasons. They said there are ways to leave HIPPAA complaint voicemail, but chose to just not worry about a front office admin forgetting to not say patient name, for example.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/198/may-health-ca...

As for your situation, they did try and contact you, you didn't answer or call back the missed call. Not seeing how it is their fault (or your fault). Stuff happens. Even with a couple of my medical providers have late cancellation fees, they've always waived them if I had any semblance of a reasonable explanation.

rated:
I would sue for losses but offer to settle for $15,000 even. Your water bill was higher from the shower... and you likely had to pay a sewer surcharge for the water that went down the drain.

rated:
Deduct it from their payment. Tell them to sue you

rated:
I do remember having a practitioner canceling on me before, didn't have much of an excuse, and wasn't apologetic. I never asked for any compensation, but I never re-scheduled my appointment and haven't seen them since.

On the flip side, I've canceled on my dentist with very little notice before, and they never charged me anything, just said "that's OK, hope you're doing well, call us back to re-schedule" and I am a lifelong customer. With most places, I think the fee for late cancelations is just a formality, I don't know of anyone that's actually been charged for it.

rated:
What are his damages?

rated:
dj63401 said:   They called. You did not answer, wrongly thinking it was telemarketer. Don't see how that is their fault.
  Agree.  Also:  The fact that theydidn't leave a message is easily explained by HIPPA privacy provisions and our litigious society.  They're at risk if they inadvertently tell anyone but you that you even have (had) an appointment.

rated:
Evilmagus said:   What are his damages?
  He showered.

rated:
jarfykk said:   I had a similar situation where I got a couple calls from a random number I'd never seen before and finally just called it back. Was my doctor's office trying to pass some info. I asked why they didn't leave a voicemail and they indicated that they just don't leave voicemails anymore for HIPPAA reasons. They said there are ways to leave HIPPAA complaint voicemail, but chose to just not worry about a front office admin forgetting to not say patient name, for example.

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/198/may-health-ca... 

As for your situation, they did try and contact you, you didn't answer or call back the missed call. Not seeing how it is their fault (or your fault). Stuff happens. Even with a couple of my medical providers have late cancellation fees, they've always waived them if I had any semblance of a reasonable explanation.

  
Those HIPAA-compliant messages aren't.  "There is an appointment scheduled for a member of your household"--it's not mine, there are only two members of my household so it must be hers.  Now, the place whose robot says that is a radiologist, you can't infer a lot from that.  What if it's something more sensitive, though?

The only thing that actually works is those places that ask no message/non-medical message/detailed message.

rated:
Leave an honest review online after speaking with the office about it. Tell them your feelings about what happened. Maybe the doctor had a death in the family or had to go play golf?

Is your voicemail box full or accepting new messages? 

rated:
jerosen said:   You even took a shower!!
  And the day of the appointment too. Not the night before like usual. 

rated:
atikovi said:   I didn't answer because it looked like a telemarketing call but they didn't even leave a voicemail. 
  i have an app on my phone that shows the name of who is calling. works about 50-75% of the time.

rated:
Evilmagus said:   What are his damages?
  soap in his eyes  

rated:
If you not being able to see a doctor that day was a problem, you should've went to the emergency room.

rated:
b534202 said:   If you not being able to see a doctor that day was a problem, you should've went to the emergency room.
  Great how people don't read the first post where in the first five words it says "routine appointment". Most folks wouldn't bother to shower before an ER visit anyway.

rated:
Fair is where you go to ride the rides.

rated:
So you have no idea if the provider had their own emergency or needed to provide care for an unexpected urgent situation and they clearly tried to contact you but you think they should provide you some sort of reimbursement in particular bc you took a shower.

I would be hoping you do change providers.

rated:
dhodson said:   So you have no idea if the provider had their own emergency or needed to provide care for an unexpected urgent situation and they clearly tried to contact you 
  Point being? If I cancelled the morning of the appointment because of an emergency I'd still be charged. Not a big deal, especially since I didn't have to pay for parking. Seems if you're there less than 15 minutes they don't charge.

rated:
atikovi said:   
jerosen said:   You even took a shower!!
  And the day of the appointment too. Not the night before like usual. 


Sounds like one of those people that brush their teeth before going to the dentist. 

rated:
My dentist office wouldn't leave a voicemail for an appointment reminder for a routine cleaning due to HIPAA. They left a message for me to call back, as if there was some issue or problem that needed discussed. I was livid when I called back, felt it was a waste of my time, esp when I have the stupid appointment in my calendar and didn't need a reminder anyway.

rated:
glendacc said:   My dentist office wouldn't leave a voicemail for an appointment reminder for a routine cleaning due to HIPAA. They left a message for me to call back, as if there was some issue or problem that needed discussed. I was livid when I called back, felt it was a waste of my time, esp when I have the stupid appointment in my calendar and didn't need a reminder anyway.
  Mine sends me regular emails and texts of my appts. 

rated:
Dus10 said:   Take them to smalls claims court and give it a try, if you are up for it. Definitely a huge YMMV.
  The doctor might then countersue in smells claims court.

rated:
My primary care doctor's office always telephones me with some sort of automated, I assume computer-controlled, system to remind me of an appointment, usually a couple of days before the appointment. If I'm not there, the computer leaves a message. There's no ambiguity about why they're calling, or that the call is for me specifically. It also gives me the option of canceling the appointment.

Is any or all of this against the "rules," whatever they might be? All of my doctor's appointments have been handled in this way.

rated:
atikovi said:   dhodson said:   So you have no idea if the provider had their own emergency or needed to provide care for an unexpected urgent situation and they clearly tried to contact you 
  Point being? If I cancelled the morning of the appointment because of an emergency I'd still be charged. Not a big deal, especially since I didn't have to pay for parking. Seems if you're there less than 15 minutes they don't charge.


Actually I doubt it. I don't know anyone who does it for first time offenders for a true emergency but given your post Im sure we wouldn't agree on emergency definition given taking a shower is a huge inconvenience.

However the point is you aren't entitled to jack. You signed an agreement and unless it says they would pay you for cancellations which is highly unlikely then all you are doing is wasting time.

rated:
Since you seem to be of the litigious kind, next time you go to a new medical provider and you sign all the paperwork that makes you aware of the cancellation fee policy, just write in your own cancellation policy (starting in the front and continuing in the back) that informs them of your $2000 cancellation fee if informed with less than 48 hours to the appointment. Write some legalese that says that by keeping the paperwork they agree to your amendment of the contract. Take a picture of the document and save it for future collections.

That's gold Jerry! Gold!

rated:
I can be very litigious.

rated:
Why didn't the missed call show up on your phone as coming from your doctor's office? Did you not have the number in your contacts, did they hide the number, or did it come from a different number than their main line?

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   Why didn't the missed call show up on your phone as coming from your doctor's office? Did you not have the number in your contacts, did they hide the number, or did it come from a different number than their main line?
  Just shows the number and city. I don't keep docs numbers on my cell but even if I did, they probably have more than one number they could call me from.

rated:
They made a good faith effort to contact you then. Find out what numbers they might call you from and add them to your contacts when you're there again, it's prudent to be able to call your doctor quickly in case of emergency. You could waste your time with a lawsuit but it seems a little silly.

rated:
atikovi said:    Even showered for it. 
  You're my new favorite forum goer. That just turned into an instant classic line. Thank you.

ETA:
atikovi;19672961 said:

dhodson said:   So you have no idea if the provider had their own emergency or needed to provide care for an unexpected urgent situation and they clearly tried to contact you 
  Point being? If I cancelled the morning of the appointment because of an emergency I'd still be charged. Not a big deal, especially since I didn't have to pay for parking. Seems if you're there less than 15 minutes they don't charge.

  Are you ruffles?

Skipping 18 Messages...
rated:
May be OP forgot to shower for the last appt and hence the cancellation. They didn't know he showered this time. He should have let them know that he showered

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016