• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This is an interesting one - 

Recently, I received a Amazon Chase Visa card that I never opened. I did see a hard hit on my credit reporting tool, but didn't think much of it since I have a few Chase cards already. Lo and behold, I see a new card under my Chase online account and received a card in the mail with a new credit line. 

Turns out one of my business colleagues had the same thing happen to him.

After escalating to Chase Executive Team, it seems there's some correlation with partner cards and this specific scenario - explicitly the Amazon Chase card.

I've asked Chase to completely remove the hard pull and credit line from my report - they are working on that now. 

Who else has been hit by this? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sounds like some former Wells Fargo employees are now working for Amazon / Chase.

rated:
halterk said:   Sounds like some former Wells Fargo employees are now working for Amazon / Chase.
 Almost exactly what I came here to post when I got the topic alert, LOL. Hasn't happened to me, but I'm going to be keeping an eye out since I disabled the Ama zon payment via Chase UR points a few months back AND I cancelled my Ama zon store card a few years ago (i.e., I may be a prime tar get, no pun intended).

rated:
Similar thing happened to me. Except in my case, instead of a new card, Chase sent me a rejection letter in the mail.

That's a new low for me... usually I have to actually ask for something before I get rejected.

rated:
halterk said:   Sounds like some former Wells Fargo employees are now working for Amazon / Chase.
  or is it Former WF Executives?

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   Similar thing happened to me. Except in my case, instead of a new card, Chase sent me a rejection letter in the mail.

That's a new low for me... usually I have to actually ask for something before I get rejected.

be successful, then you can grab them by ****  

rated:
can a credit card company actually remove a hard pull from your credit reports?  I would think not...  that you'd have to dispute with the credit bureaus or something.

rated:
Yep. If they write a note to the agency saying that they inadvertently lacked a permissible purpose for the pull, they will remove.

skarydrunkguy said:   can a credit card company actually remove a hard pull from your credit reports?  I would think not...  that you'd have to dispute with the credit bureaus or something.

--Jon

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   Similar thing happened to me. Except in my case, instead of a new card, Chase sent me a rejection letter in the mail.

That's how you know times are hard, when you receive pre-declined CC offers in the mail.

rated:
Isn't there also damages owed to the you if they lacked permissible purpose (under FCRA)? I think it's something like $1000 per violation, and you can hit them in small claims for it?

rated:
Cashman, this sounds more like ID theft than bank shenanigans. Someone tried to open credit in your name. This may not even be linked to your Amazon account (so you may not see any spurious purchases.). Does the new account in Chase show 0 balance?
Edit: Wait - Does Amazon still do instant $X off your purchase when you open an account? Its very possible that happened. They buy your SSN / address/ DOB info for a few bucks, do as much damage as possible, get the hell out. I'd watch out for more damage in the coming weeks. At the very least freeze your credit ASAP.

rated:
Had the same thing happen to be. It was opened using an old address, so chalked it up to attempted id fraud. Chase clossed the account will be updating the cra about it.

rated:
Same thing for my brother, Chase Amazon. But he had no current Chase card. So what's the fraudster's angle if it is the 'victim' who receives the card, is there another step here?

rated:
I had the opposite happen. Had a Chase Amazon card closed for nonusage recently. I was notified in the mail about the change earlier.

I have received replacement cards before expiration from issuers trying to get me to reuse the card. Considering this is a no annual fee card, and Chase only makes money on usage, it seems odd they would do this intentionally. I am guessing a Cyberattack or glitch in their system or rogue employee. Chase is profitable and doesn't want nor need bad publicity right now,

I have one Chase card left and active. I did have an issue where I swapped account numbers due to potential fraud on existing account because of a charge I did't recall making from a vendor I've used before. No issues with Chase at this moment,

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   That's a new low for me... usually I have to actually ask for something before I get rejected.
  Sometimes all it takes is one dirty look from across the bar.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016