• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've gotten those calls about "windows" problems. I said Yes I do have windows problems, they are stuck and it won't wor... (more)

SuperOcean (Oct. 29, 2016 @ 12:29a) |

Whenever I get this call, I thank them SO MUCH for calling back.  "The smoke is still coming out of the back of my compu... (more)

debentureboy (Oct. 29, 2016 @ 6:44a) |

Wow...
  Just wonder how you got this.

Thanks for sharing.

spotrun (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 6:03p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
good

rated:
The defendants, including 24 people across nine U.S. states, were indicted by a grand jury in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.

so it looks like there were folks within USA as well

rated:
they didnt catch the big fish yet I think. its just the call center employees so far.

rated:
prastogi2012 said:   they didnt catch the big fish yet I think. its just the call center employees so far.
  here's the kicker....
I did some reading on this scam for quite some time and there is a very strong possibility that the front line agents may not even know this is a scam....they had a script to read and that's all they did...when the scamee agrees to a payment plan then the call was always transferred to "My Senior Officer"....
It's very likely possible that the front line agents genuinely thought this was just the real IRS outsourcing it's call center to India and they are working there...

rated:
dealgain said:   
prastogi2012 said:   they didnt catch the big fish yet I think. its just the call center employees so far.
  here's the kicker....
I did some reading on this scam for quite some time and there is a very strong possibility that the front line agents may not even know this is a scam....they had a script to read and that's all they did...when the scamee agrees to a payment plan then the call was always transferred to "My Senior Officer"....
It's very likely possible that the front line agents genuinely thought this was just the real IRS outsourcing it's call center to India and they are working there...

BS!  A defense attorney will try to use an excuse like that, but hope the rat-bastoids rot in jail for years to come.

rated:
If you enjoy reverse pranking, nothing better than Jolly Roger Telephone Company.

rated:
Mickie3 said:   
dealgain said:   
  here's the kicker....

BS!  A defense attorney will try to use an excuse like that, but hope the rat-bastoids rot in jail for years to come.

but they will be out in few years, the punishments wont be >10 yrs etc.

rated:

rated:
Mickie3 said:   dealgain said:   
  here's the kicker....

Although to ALWAYS advocate taking responsibility for your own actions but I think you underestimate people's ability to delude themselves and ignore the obvious. I would image they operated like a pyramid/MLM scam: Target people for 'employment' that are unemployed, uneducated and gullible. They don't need to ask these people to look the other way because with these kind of people you can hide the fraud in plain sight.

I'd like to see the ringleaders do their time but probably won't happen. They'll just move onto the next scam, etc...

rated:
No one of value will get caught. This is just a show or what they call "theater" so you feel that your govt is doing something.

rated:
Remember Kim Dotcom? THey could do something much bigger if they wanted.

rated:
Here's a copy of the indictment.  It includes a pretty detailed description of the different players, from runners up to the call center managers.  Factoid:  they used over 1500 Magic Jack telephone numbers for the outbound calls.

rated:
tuphat said:   Here's a copy of the indictment.  It includes a pretty detailed description of the different players, from runners up to the call center managers.  Factoid:  they used over 1500 Magic Jack telephone numbers for the outbound calls.

Wow that's really terrible. But it shows how gullable people are. One guy bought $139,000 worth of cash cards (276 MoneyPak cards) and emailed the ids of the card to the "IRS" thinking that would pay his tax fine.

No wonder MSers attract attention from the feds for use of reloadable cards sometimes....

For those who don't have time to read the document it often went like this:
1) Call center threatens victims with jail time if they don't pay tax fine
2) Victim instructed to buy a number of moneypak cards and email or call scammer with moneypak ids for the cards
3) Moneypak cards are transferred to Green Dot  reloadable cards
4) Reloadable cards are converted to money orders
5) Money orders are deposited into a bunch of various us bank accounts
6) Those bank accounts are used to pay off "Hawaladar" money transfers from India to US (underground banking) (This last step isn't clear how the money moved out of the banks but at least some of this happened)

I suspect they are still chasing the whales who are on the receiving end of any transfers out of those bank accounts because they arent mentioned in this document.

rated:
Wow that's a lot more than I thought.

rated:
I just can't wrap my head around how people can be so stupid to fall for these types of scams. Short of having dementia or alzheimers, how can you be so gullible that a federal agency would ask for any money over the phone, let alone have you wire funds through a 3rd party or buy pre-paid cards at a CVS?

I got a call from an "FBI agent" saying they were thinking of filing 3 charges against me in federal court and wanted to know if I wanted to settle and pay a fine to avoid getting those charges. Thanks for the warning FBI, let me know when you're done deciding whether I've committed a crime or not.

rated:
dealgain said:   
  here's the kicker....

Sure, the first level guys may know none of the nefarious details...but the ones that I've screwed with, even the first level call guy would go nuts (behenchod this, or madarchod that) when he found out I was effing with them.

rated:
So it's not just Dell which can outsource its call center to India.

rated:
CrAsian said:   
dealgain said:   
  here's the kicker....

Sure, the first level guys may know none of the nefarious details...but the ones that I've screwed with, even the first level call guy would go nuts (behenchod this, or madarchod that) when he found out I was effing with them.

Haha ya they went nuts on me when they finally figured out i was screwing with them lol

rated:
Luniz97 said:   
CrAsian said:   
dealgain said:   
  here's the kicker....

Haha ya they went nuts on me when they finally figured out i was screwing with them lol

Things usually turn very sexual for me when they figure out I'm not an idiot.

rated:
Another scam call that has started now is somebody claiming to be a Microsoft technician and trying to get into the home network by saying that they have encountered suspicious activity on the network or iCloud account. They ask you get your network and devices cleaned up using QuickResolvePC.com and charge $275 for it

rated:
I just read the report.. I am really glad this people are caught.. because I did receive mutiple calls from this people acting as an IRS officer and wanting money. Also, few of my other relatives received a similar calls. I reported the incident to local FBI office. They said they will look into it, i guess they finally did. I was so annoyed by this people because they will call over and over..

rated:
I have received a lot of these calls. However the accent was not Indian. It was African/Somalian/Nigerian.

rated:
Gee...it only took 15 years...someone will pay a fine and get an unpleasant letter and its done.

rated:
NO ONE Goes to jail...not here...not now...and if Trumpster gets in...NO MORE INVESTIGATIONS AND NO MORE REGULATIONS.

rated:
vnuts21 said:   I just can't wrap my head around how people can be so stupid to fall for these types of scams. Short of having dementia or alzheimers, how can you be so gullible that a federal agency would ask for any money over the phone, let alone have you wire funds through a 3rd party or buy pre-paid cards at a CVS?

I got a call from an "FBI agent" saying they were thinking of filing 3 charges against me in federal court and wanted to know if I wanted to settle and pay a fine to avoid getting those charges. Thanks for the warning FBI, let me know when you're done deciding whether I've committed a crime or not.

Have you ever interacted with the public? I'm not surprised.

rated:
No, the criminals never knew they committed crimes! lol

rated:
sfchris said:   
 One guy bought $139,000 worth of cash cards (276 MoneyPak cards) and emailed the ids of the card to the "IRS" thinking that would pay his tax fine.

I need that guy's phone #.

"Sir, this is the real IRS.  My official ID # is 6990325, which you can verify at www.realirs.org.  Recently, you fell for a scam.  While we are sorry for your loss, you still owe a tax debt to the United States Treasury, totaling $139k.  For that reason, please purchase another 276 MoneyPak cards.  I will call you  in 2 days to get the numbers. If you fail to comply, a no-bail warrant will be issued for your arrest, prompting federal agents to arrest you at your place of employment.  While waiting for your first court date (approx 3 to 4 months from your date of arrest), you will remain in a United States Maximum Security Penitentiary.  Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this most urgent matter"

rated:
bharatiya said:   Another scam call that has started now is somebody claiming to be a Microsoft technician and trying to get into the home network by saying that they have encountered suspicious activity on the network or iCloud account. They ask you get your network and devices cleaned up using QuickResolvePC.com and charge $275 for it

I've gotten those calls about "windows" problems. I said Yes I do have windows problems, they are stuck and it won't work right. I play dumb and say I want the help can you send someone over to help me fix it. LOL it takes them a few seconds to figure out I'm not talking about the OS but my house windows. 

rated:
bharatiya said:   Another scam call that has started now is somebody claiming to be a Microsoft technician and trying to get into the home network by saying that they have encountered suspicious activity on the network or iCloud account. They ask you get your network and devices cleaned up using QuickResolvePC.com and charge $275 for it
  Whenever I get this call, I thank them SO MUCH for calling back.  "The smoke is still coming out of the back of my computer.  What should I do?" I say in a frantic voice.  

Pause. 

Then I get:  Click, question, call forwarded to a "supervisor" or repeat of the initial presentation... I get a charge out of it. 

OT:  When I saw "India-based" in the title, my first thought was of the numerous call center calls I get something like this:  "Hello, my name is Brian (said in a HEAVY Indian accent)...  fill in the scam offer here"  

I often ask if his name is really Brian.  They don't really know what to do -- this isn't part of their script.  

I feel sorry for them, so I am being half bad and half genuinely sorry for their lot in life.  

Back on topic, numerous studies have shown that as we age, we have greatly diminished scam detecting abilities.  We get more trusting -- probably because we NEED to trust as we no longer understand the more complicated things going on around us.  Obviously, this varies GREATLY between individuals.  Also obviously, many don't have these skills even during younger years.

Education and activities have a great effect on this -- exercise and keeping the mind active keep the brain more able to detect these things longer into old age.  Sedentary lifestyle and sitting in front of the TV just rot the brain away and open the door for these types of scams.  

rated:
tuphat said:   Here's a copy of the indictment.  It includes a pretty detailed description of the different players, from runners up to the call center managers.  Factoid:  they used over 1500 Magic Jack telephone numbers for the outbound calls.

Wow...
  Just wonder how you got this.

Thanks for sharing.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016