• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm an older nomadic traveller and usually settle in a country for 3 months. The kind of rental apartments I find often want cash. They have no way to accept credit card payments. They are able to accept payment via email though.
I would of course prefer to use my Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Reserve which I will be applying for.  This is probably an easy question for you guys.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If they want foreign currency/cash, what else can you do ?

rated:
anotherhardboiledegg said:   I'm an older nomadic traveller and usually settle in a country for 3 months. The kind of rental apartments I find often want cash. They have no way to accept credit card payments. They are able to accept payment via email though.
I would of course prefer to use my Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Reserve which I will be applying for.  This is probably an easy question for you guys.

It is hard to pay rent by CC in the US (some do; so me do for a fee but most want cash/check/MO etc.). It is doubly hard to do so in a foreign country. Use a debit card (with no foreign transaction fee) to get cash from an ATM and pay rent. Schwab, Cap1 provide debit cards with no foreign transaction fee. Schwab also reimburses any ATM fees charged.

rated:
what country?

rated:
Can you even pay rent with CC in US (without taking a cash advance hit)?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   what country?
  Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Africa, Brazil, Colombia, Panama.  I've had to pay in cash in each of these countries.

But, my question is how do I pay them through something like what Amazon Payments used to be, so I get the points for using my CC, and make it worthwhile rather than paying a transaction fee of 3%?

I do use a debit card with a no transaction fee to withdraw cash but I'd rather not waste the miles.

Besides I will want to hit the limits for spend on a few credit cards to accumulate the miles for my travels.

rated:
anotherhardboiledegg said:   
rufflesinc said:   what country?
  Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Africa, Brazil, Colombia, Panama.  I've had to pay in cash in each of these countries.

But, my question is how do I pay them through something like what Amazon Payments used to be, so I get the points for using my CC, and make it worthwhile rather than paying a transaction fee of 3%?

I do use a debit card with a no transaction fee to withdraw cash but I'd rather not waste the miles.

Besides I will want to hit the limits for spend on a few credit cards to accumulate the miles for my travels.

Really, your only option is to persuade them to take a credit card.  And good luck with that.  If they want cash, I don't know of a cost effective way to take cash out of a CC.  

If you're doing it for the initial bonus spend, it might be worth it to you to charge through Paypal or square or something like that. It'll be expensive, but depending on what you're getting back, might be worth it if you have no other way to meet the spend.  

rated:
Buy a sailboat

rated:
parkdanil said:   Buy a sailboat
  Yes, well we are sick of paying out cash for rental apartments. We were going to buy a camper van and stick around North America for a while. At least we won't be paying out cash for rent for a while!

Isn't there anything akin to the previously free transactions on Amazon Payments these days? Or at least something less expensive than Paypal or Square?

rated:
I lived in South Korea for many years.  If I wanted to pay with a credit card, they wanted me to pay more.  I paid in cash.  Case closed. Many countries around the world have very lax tax laws compared to the US and because of that, the landlords want cash so there's no electronic paper trail. 

rated:
You can persuade nearly anyone to take a credit card if you're willing to pay 3-5% more than cash.

rated:
You can't force someone to accept credit cards if they don't want to.

Next someone will ask about how they can get drug dealers in sleezy parts of town when they buy drugs on the street, to accept credit cards so they can earn points.

rated:
burgerwars said:   You can't force someone to accept credit cards if they don't want to.

Next someone will ask about how they can get drug dealers in sleezy parts of town when they but drugs on the street, to accept credit cards so they can earn points.

I'm not dealing with drug dealers who don't accept ApplePay.  Don't want to leave my fingerprints on currency.

rated:
I think I noticed a way to do this easily without much fuss nor charges. I'll buy a VGC, load it to a Serve card that I'll need to get and then buy a MO with it and pay that way. The only problem is that I have to do this all remotely as I am hardly ever in the U.S. I'm checking to see if it can all be done online.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016