• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am looking at buying a townhome. There are two available, one is the largest model in the middle at 1989 sq ft. It has a balcony off the master the end unit doesn't, a much bigger kitchen, but only one great room at 15.5 x 23. Thr corner unit is slightly smaller overall at 1891 sq ft, but it has a family room 15.5 x 18.5 and a great room 15.5 x 17. The kitchen is about 30% smaller and there is no balcony off the master. I dont see this as my final home so I am trying to figure out which of the two will be better down the road for resale purposes. The prices of the two are $356K for the corner unit and $367K for the bigger middle unit. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I think you should choose the one you want to live in, but it strikes me that the corner unit would be easier to resell.... (more)

brolic (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 12:58p) |

I can tell you I spend a fortune on electricity cooling a two story house.. I can only imagine what OP is going to end u... (more)

alamo11 (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 5:59p) |

Go for the bigger unit, women love bigger units.

FriendlyPeon (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 7:35p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Where is the missing 300sqft in the middle unit? Some of that is in the bigger kitchen but where is the rest?

Where are your sqft numbers from? Seller provided sq ft calcs are almost always incorrect.

Id go end unit. For 11k you can take out a wall and build a deck.

rated:
The size figures are from the builder's floorplans, this is all new construction. The overall size is only 98 sq ft between the two.

rated:
for resale, i'd worry more about the location, the price you are paying now, the local economy, etc, in other words, global factors not the specific unit.
There are pros and cons to both units. People generally like corner units more, but they also like bigger kitchens and more rooms. If you like the development, pick the floor plan you like best to live in, unless you think one is grossly overpriced, you're only talking a 3% difference in price.

rated:
You have a link to the floor plans or where the homes will be located. Will the corner unit be near a busy street?

rated:
Corner ought to have more window views. One less common wall is really desirable. More of a sense of possession than being surrounded entirely. More exterior ground space if designed well.

rated:
jeffchambers said:   The size figures are from the builder's floorplans, this is all new construction. The overall size is only 98 sq ft between the two.
  But you said the smaller unit has an extra 300 sq ft room.  What does the bigger unit have that accounts for that missing 400 sq ft?

rated:
Is it a complex of new TH?
Check which kind are selling quicker.

rated:
For resale, townhouses are only one step above condos. Townhouses are like condos with their condo fees, HOA, board politics, plus the neighbors are more likely to get up in your business. At least with a condo, you may hardly ever see your neighbors and there’s no grass to cut.

rated:
It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-lauderdale-palm-beach/7807-montclair/39082-delmar-a.html

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-lauderdale-palm-beach/7807-montclair/134331-quickmovein.html

rated:
jeffchambers said:   It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

  

Is the guy that doesn't get paid until someone buys these the one that told you "they are selling quickly, you better hurry before you lose your chance"?

 

rated:
Yes but there are only 3 new construction THs remaining in the development move in ready.

rated:
The end, half as many shared walls. Shared walls suck.

What do you plan on using the "balcony off the master" for? Talking to your attached neighbors all in PJs?

rated:
jeffchambers said:   It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

  The developer and realtor will always tell you they are selling fast. They use scarcity to get you to commit.

rated:
snork615 said:   Corner ought to have more window views. One less common wall is really desirable. More of a sense of possession than being surrounded entirely. More exterior ground space if designed well.
 

These points are all true, but they're subjective, just like many other things.  On the other side of the argument, I prefer a  middle unit because fewer exposed sides should result in lower heating and cooling costs.  Also, if a giant tree falls on the building or there's a hurricane, a unit with only two exposed sides might suffer less damage than a unit with three exposed sides or a stand-alone house that has four exposed sides.  Let the neighbors sustain the damage on the ends while you sit pretty in the middle.  Just hope the roof doesn't blow off.  Then everybody is screwed.

If you have halfway decent neighbors, one extra common wall is a non-issue.  I would absolutely not want an end unit if it didn't come with substantial window exposure on the extra exposed wall.  My gut for OP's decision, if I were the one making it, would depend on whether there's any possibility that an extra bedroom might be needed, and the question of how practical it would be to convert the extra large room in the end unit to an additional bedroom.  If the potential for an added bedroom is either non-existent or completely unnecessary, I'd pay the extra $11K to get the middle unit with the better kitchen and the huge outdoor deck.

Finally, I wouldn't buy unless I knew I was buying the house I'm going to die in.

rated:
ganda said:   The end, half as many shared walls. Shared walls suck.

What do you plan on using the "balcony off the master" for? Talking to your attached neighbors all in PJs?

  Except they help reduce utility costs.

rated:
I noticed one has the washer/dryer on the 3rd floor near the master. I'd go for that instead of it in the kitchen. Who wants laundry in the kitchen down the stairs.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
ganda said:   The end, half as many shared walls. Shared walls suck.

What do you plan on using the "balcony off the master" for? Talking to your attached neighbors all in PJs?

  Except they help reduce utility costs.

  
I'd rather pay higher utility bills then hear assholes. Shared walls/ceilings/floors/driveways all suck.

rated:
I agree with the other replies which indicated a preference for an end unit. I don't know about resale value, but if you have to live in a townhouse or condominium, the fewer common walls and floors, the better. Even if the end unit is a little smaller, and lacks a few things you'd prefer, but can live without, etc. ... I would definitely choose the end unit.

rated:
Ha! Looks like we are going to be quasi neighbors soon.

rated:
alamo11 said:   Ha! Looks like we are going to be quasi neighbors soon.
  
and alamo11 is a tuba playing midnight clog dancer. Wanna share a wall?

rated:
wilesmt said:   Where is the missing 300sqft in the middle unit? Some of that is in the bigger kitchen but where is the rest?

Where are your sqft numbers from? Seller provided sq ft calcs are almost always incorrect.

Id go end unit. For 11k you can take out a wall and build a deck.

  That totally depends on the townhome covenants.  Many such units are condominium covenant units meaning the walls often belong to the association ... not the individual.  As such, he would be forbidden to mess with them as you suggest without the board approval.  IF I sat on such a board, I would vote against such a change fearing others may want to do something similar.  I would worry about building integrity.  I would hope the builder considered such things when building.  The way the walls were constructed is a major factor is such an idea.  Under the TownHome agreements for this unit, who landscapes, mows and rakes up the leaves?

As the prospective unit holder, who pays and at what cost that is not cheap if approved.  What does the related mortgage say about changes to the mortgaged property? 

OP is the one to live in it.  Has OP any townhome living experience?  IF not, there will be a whole new level of lifestyle changes to adopt or buyer's regret with a mortgage.

How did the area come out in recent hurricanes and related strong weather?  If the threat comes again, who does what for weather related window/property efforts?.

rated:
Get the end unit with the most desirable view. 1 shared wall versus 2 is a huge difference to me.

also ends depending on how they are situated may have more green space.

rated:
jeffchambers said:   It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la... 

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

  Frankly, I wouldnt like the floorplan where you have to go up stairs to reach any general purpose area.  I think it'd feel far to apartment-ish.  A kids bedroom 2 floors away and adjacent to the exterior door would be a deal killer for a lot of parents, too.

Although the 3rd bedroom on the first floor would make it more conducive to renting out a room or having non-family guests.  Having two "private" sleeping areas on the 1st/3rd floor and a 2nd floor "common area" seems like it'd be a big benefit relative to just having all the bedrooms commingled.

rated:
Go with the end unit for resale value. On new construction there is usually a premium for the end unit for the reasons already mentioned. The floor plans don't show any windows on the non-shared wall, but they will give a sense of openness and space you won't have with the middle unit. Good luck.

rated:
Is this a gated community? If so I'd have no objection to either. If not & corner unit is at the corner of a street I'd nix that.

Just remember FL real estate pricing is volatile When you're ready to sell the market might not be. You might have to wait an additional 5 yrs. Have you calculated rent vs own?

rated:
End units in both town homes and condos and even subdivision single family homes sell faster barring great difference in square footage.

rated:
BeachBumm said:   Go with the end unit for resale value. On new construction there is usually a premium for the end unit for the reasons already mentioned. The floor plans don't show any windows on the non-shared wall, but they will give a sense of openness and space you won't have with the middle unit. Good luck.
  The listing mentions 7 more windows.

rated:
Most men want a Bigger Middle Unit.


 

rated:
Glitch99 said:   jeffchambers said:   It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la... 

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

  Frankly, I wouldnt like the floorplan where you have to go up stairs to reach any general purpose area.  I think it'd feel far to apartment-ish.  A kids bedroom 2 floors away and adjacent to the exterior door would be a deal killer for a lot of parents, too.

Although the 3rd bedroom on the first floor would make it more conducive to renting out a room or having non-family guests.  Having two "private" sleeping areas on the 1st/3rd floor and a 2nd floor "common area" seems like it'd be a big benefit relative to just having all the bedrooms commingled.


I'm just not feeling the smaller unit layout. To the point Id completely nix it and take my chances with the bigger unit. What I don't like:

Orphan family room completely off by itself downstairs.
Guest room right off the kitchen/great room. Seriously, you are going to make your guest walk by the dinner table in a towel. Also means the guest bath serves as the common space toliet.
Small kitchen and greatroom.

Having the guestroom on the first floor gives you a killer set-up for in town family. A complete floor of common space is also nice. Laundry next to sleeping space is hit or miss.

rated:
wilesmt said:   
Glitch99 said:   
jeffchambers said:   It is a dev of new THs. They are all selling pretty quickly from what I was told. Here are the links to floorplans:

Bigger one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la... 

Corner slightly smaller one - http://www.calatlantichomes.com/find-your-new-home/6-miami-ft-la...

  Frankly, I wouldnt like the floorplan where you have to go up stairs to reach any general purpose area.  I think it'd feel far to apartment-ish.  A kids bedroom 2 floors away and adjacent to the exterior door would be a deal killer for a lot of parents, too.

Although the 3rd bedroom on the first floor would make it more conducive to renting out a room or having non-family guests.  Having two "private" sleeping areas on the 1st/3rd floor and a 2nd floor "common area" seems like it'd be a big benefit relative to just having all the bedrooms commingled.


I'm just not feeling the smaller unit layout. To the point Id completely nix it and take my chances with the bigger unit. What I don't like:

Orphan family room completely off by itself downstairs.
Guest room right off the kitchen/great room. Seriously, you are going to make your guest walk by the dinner table in a towel. Also means the guest bath serves as the common space toliet.
Small kitchen and greatroom.

Having the guestroom on the first floor gives you a killer set-up for in town family. A complete floor of common space is also nice. Laundry next to sleeping space is hit or miss.

  That's just one end of the spectrum.  Of course, the primary factor in how you percieve this is if you consider that 3rd bedroom to be extra space (be it a guest room, home office, etc), or if you need 3 bedrooms for your family.  The 2 floorplans are designed to meet two entirely different needs, i don't see one being inherently better than the other unless the local demographics skew heavily in one direction.

rated:
jeffchambers said:   I dont see this as my final home so I am trying to figure out which of the two will be better down the road for resale purposes.
 

Neither.  Looks like way too much new construction going on for there to be strong prospects for appreciation.  Rent it instead.  Link

rated:
jeffchambers said:   Yes but there are only 3 new construction THs remaining in the development move in ready.
  
It is a fairly easy thing for them to control.  "Sold the end unit, get another one ready!"

rated:
ganda said:   What do you plan on using the "balcony off the master" for?
 

  When ya gotta go, and the wife is hogging the bathroom.....

rated:
woowoo2 said:   
ganda said:   What do you plan on using the "balcony off the master" for?
  When ya gotta go, and the wife is hogging the bathroom.....

  
...and you are too lazy to walk to the other bathroom?

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
jeffchambers said:   I dont see this as my final home so I am trying to figure out which of the two will be better down the road for resale purposes.
Neither.  Looks like way too much new construction going on for there to be strong prospects for appreciation.  Rent it instead.  Link

  I don't like the floor plan of either of them, so I agree with dcwilbur.

rated:
OP

After reading some posts, i took the time to check the floorplan. I agree with DC also -- it sucks. 3 floors in FLORIDA - land of the zombie senior citizens.

I DESPISE 3 floor homes!! And this is not 2 upper with a finished lower, its 3 upper floors. My sis had a 3 story and at each level by stairs they had tables where you would put things, and ANYONE going up was directed to take whatever was on a table to the next level -- it was insane.

This ain't luxury living and condos, in general, are different from SFH. But, i am sure you know the miami/ palm beach area better than I.

rated:
Yeah. 3 floor narrow town homes are more often found in Philly or Washington. Out of necessity on a tiny lot.

rated:
I think you should choose the one you want to live in, but it strikes me that the corner unit would be easier to resell. There are less of them, so when you go to sell, it is less likely that you would be up against another (nearly) identical unit.

Skipping 2 Messages...
rated:
Go for the bigger unit, women love bigger units.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016