• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Can summer school expense be claimed under dependent care FSA?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Can you meet the other requirements?

rated:
Is the care provided to enable you and your spouse to work?

rated:
No summer school can not be used under dependent care FSA

Expenses to attend kindergarten or a higher grade are not expenses for care. Do not use these expenses to figure your credit. However, expenses for before- or after-school care of a child in kindergarten or a higher grade may be expenses for care.Summer school and tutoring programs are not for care

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf 

rated:
But summer camps (not overnight summer camps) can be used for dependent care monies.

rated:
JepJepJep said:   No summer school can not be used under dependent care FSA

Expenses to attend kindergarten or a higher grade are not expenses for care. Do not use these expenses to figure your credit. However, expenses for before- or after-school care of a child in kindergarten or a higher grade may be expenses for care.Summer school and tutoring programs are not for care

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf
 

  
Not sure why this is getting red. I wasn't aware of that restriction and it seems pretty black-and-white; I can imagine very few situations where this could be up for interpretation.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   But summer camps (not overnight summer camps) can be used for dependent care monies.
  I meant summer camps only. Normal school is closed during summer. Have to send them to summer camp to enable us to work. Is there a distinction between summer camp and summer schools?

rated:
quizzer25 said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   But summer camps (not overnight summer camps) can be used for dependent care monies.
  I meant summer camps only. Normal school is closed during summer. Have to send them to summer camp to enable us to work. Is there a distinction between summer camp and summer schools?
 

  
This must be terminology that varies by region, but I've never heard "summer school" used to refer to anything other than actual classes provided by the school district for failing students to catch up, rather than being held back a year.

I would think that anything that isn't provided actual education credit (i.e. primary/secondary summer school, or college summer classes) would simply be an "enrichment camp" -- i.e. a summer camp that isn't offering overnight facilities -- i.e. basically daycare.

rated:
arch8ngel said:   I would think that anything that isn't provided actual education credit
 


Spot on. My kid's school offers a summer day camp but it doesn't award any academic credit, so it would qualify; it's educational and organized by the school, but it's not school.

I think we have to focus on the "main purpose" of the activity in some cases. For example, Space Camp offers college credit to older kids, but that credit is incidental not the main purpose, so it would qualify.
 

rated:
I would think so. Regardless, FSAs are somewhat self monitoring....just get a receipt and upload for reimbursement.

The real joke is that FSA limits for dependant care was set at $5k/yr in the 1980s...and never indexed for inflation.

rated:
The IRS 2015 publication makes clear there are differences between Summer School which tends not to be to cover a parent while at work as much as extra school credits extra and Summer Camp. As mentioned above it is a terminology issue. Also Over Night Summer Camp is not the same as Day camp (which can be considered for FSA). I would check out their documentation as they spell it out and do give examples so I found it easy to understand which expenses were covered and which were not.


Are child is too young so it hasn't been an issue for us yet. But I review it each year when making my own FSA decisions. https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-publication-503

rated:
Can I have a dependent care FSA and a Medical HSA at the same time? They should be(and hopefully are) two independent funds.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
arch8ngel said:   I would think that anything that isn't provided actual education credit

Spot on. My kid's school offers a summer day camp but it doesn't award any academic credit, so it would qualify; it's educational and organized by the school, but it's not school.

I think we have to focus on the "main purpose" of the activity in some cases. For example, Space Camp offers college credit to older kids, but that credit is incidental not the main purpose, so it would qualify.

  
I use a summer camp (enrichment camp) which let your kid skip math level in the high school ... they send official transcript to the school and a FSA receipt to me.
but again since IRS has age limit of under 14 (or 13?) for FSA ... so this can be used only in the 9th grade.

 

rated:
lotusgardener said:   Can I have a dependent care FSA and a Medical HSA at the same time? They should be(and hopefully are) two independent funds.
  Yes.

rated:
rascott said:   I would think so. Regardless, FSAs are somewhat self monitoring....just get a receipt and upload for reimbursement.

The real joke is that FSA limits for dependant care was set at $5k/yr in the 1980s...and never indexed for inflation.

  
FSA are not "somewhat self monitoring", whatever that means.  Typically these are offered along with your health insurance plan at work.  The plan administrator that manages the account verifies that reimbursements meet IRS standards.  You can upload your receipt, but get denied.

rated:
aleck said:   
rascott said:   I would think so. Regardless, FSAs are somewhat self monitoring....just get a receipt and upload for reimbursement.

The real joke is that FSA limits for dependant care was set at $5k/yr in the 1980s...and never indexed for inflation.

  
FSA are not "somewhat self monitoring", whatever that means.  Typically these are offered along with your health insurance plan at work.  The plan administrator that manages the account verifies that reimbursements meet IRS standards.  You can upload your receipt, but get denied.

  In my experience though, they are more likely to deny the claim based on something like a zip code missing in the Summer camp/school's address on the form than whether the institution should be classified as a summer school or summer camp.   They typically don't have enough information to make those kinds of decisions.

rated:
aleck said:   rascott said:   I would think so. Regardless, FSAs are somewhat self monitoring....just get a receipt and upload for reimbursement.

The real joke is that FSA limits for dependant care was set at $5k/yr in the 1980s...and never indexed for inflation.

  
FSA are not "somewhat self monitoring", whatever that means.  Typically these are offered along with your health insurance plan at work.  The plan administrator that manages the account verifies that reimbursements meet IRS standards.  You can upload your receipt, but get denied.


What I mean is you can submit a receipt, and as long as it's even close to rational, it'll be approved.

On mine, it has an option where it creates a receipt for you, where you just sign that it's a valid expense and then re-upload.

rated:
Summer (care) programs (in schools) tend to be run by the same department that runs after school care. They are familiar with receipt requirements, including having their taxpayer ID number on it.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016