• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I will be flying out-of-town for surgery in the near future.  I know that my travel expenses are (at least potentially) tax-deductible.  

However, I will be unable to transport myself home without assistance, so my wife will accompany me and stay near the hospital.  Are her travel expenses deductible too?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Keep in mind that only expenses exceeding 10% of gross income are deductible.

rated:
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html 

Look under lodging or transplantation sections, for example. It specifically lists parent (for children) or other person medically needed. If you'll be unable to transport yourself due to the procedure for half the trip, I'd easily see half of your spouse's travel expenses as deductible. Perhaps all are deductible, but I'd recommend you consult a tax expert.

Edit: punctuation

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   Keep in mind that only expenses exceeding 10% of gross income are deductible.
  That's the general rule.  For 2016, for folks who are 65 or older as of the end of the year, it's 7.5%.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   Keep in mind that only expenses exceeding 10% of gross income are deductible.
  that is unfortunate

rated:
When you're talking about "travel" expenses for medical, keep in mind that the tax code breaks these down into component parts:

Transportation:  generally deductible.
Lodging:  deductible as part of hospital stay, otherwise limited to $50/day/person.
Meals:  not deductible if not hospital-provided.
Incidentals:  not deductible.

rated:
I'm over 65, won't be able to fly or drive after the surgery, and after medical insurance payments and other stuff, should be above 7.5%.

Whhoo...hoo, tax nirvana, here I come!!! (Kinda a steep entry price, though...)

Thanks folks!

rated:
Remember also, it's only the amount *above* 7.5% that is deductible...so it usually ends up being not much at all.

rated:
bluegreenturtle said:   Remember also, it's only the amount *above* 7.5% that is deductible...
  thats also unfortunate

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
bluegreenturtle said:   Remember also, it's only the amount *above* 7.5% that is deductible...
  thats also unfortunate

Who is this guy? Anyone who has ever completed their own taxes knows about this.

rated:
SummerSoFar said:   
rufflesinc said:   
  thats also unfortunate

Who is this guy? Anyone who has ever completed their own taxes knows about this.

that doesn't make it any less unfortunate

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
SummerSoFar said:   
rufflesinc said:   
  thats also unfortunate

that doesn't make it any less unfortunate

Hahaha, good one!
It really is unfortunate that the threshold is very high (7.5% or 10% as the case may be).

We do our own taxes but unfortunately don't remember the thresholds from year to year. Besides, it is not uncommon for most deductions to get reversed by AMT, YMMV though.

rated:
Lodging would be deductible, if you are seeing a Dr in a hospital setting (which apparently you are). $50 per person, per night, for patient and a companion (so up to $100 per night). Meals en route used to be deductible, but I no longer see that as an option.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016