• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Interesting thing happened to a friend of mine recently.
So, he tried to purchase a MoneyGram Money Order at WalMart with Visa Buxx Debit card. All went fine until the MO was issued, but then something happened to their register, the receipt printer got jammed, and a Supervisor needed to restart the whole register. To be sure the transaction happened and were complete they made him call his Debit Card issuer for them to talk to them and get confirmation that the transactions are not in Pending status and are completed. They got their confirmation.  But then, now my friend is telling me that couple of hours later he got credit to his debit card about the whole amount. And he still has the money order. So, is this free money?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
pianomaster said:   Interesting thing happened to a friend of mine recently.
So, he tried to purchase a MoneyGram Money Order at WalMart with Visa Buxx Debit card. All went fine until the MO was issued, but then something happened to their register, the receipt printer got jammed, and a Supervisor needed to restart the whole register. To be sure the transaction happened and were complete they made him call his Debit Card issuer for them to talk to them and get confirmation that the transactions are not in Pending status and are completed. They got their confirmation.  But then, now my friend is telling me that couple of hours later he got credit to his debit card about the whole amount. And he still has the money order. So, is this free money?

If it has been only two hours, just wait for the transactions to finally post. Give it a couple business days and everything could sort themselves out.
ETA: There was a similar thread where the money was indeed available in card after a month or so.. I am not finding the key words to search for it.

rated:
How does this scale?

rated:
Cool story bro...

rated:
So, he tried to purchase a MoneyGram Money Order at WalMart with Visa Buxx Debit card. All went fine until the MO was issued, but then something happened to their register, the receipt printer got jammed, and a Supervisor needed to restart the whole register. To be sure the transaction happened and were complete they made him call his Debit Card issuer for them to talk to them and get confirmation that the transactions are not in Pending status and are completed. They got their confirmation.  But then, now my friend is telling me that couple of hours later he got credit to his debit card about the whole amount. And he still has the money order. So, is this free money?

He should go back and settle up.  Someone will get fired over that shortage.  If the transaction isn't completed, it gets voided - WalMart registers, as archaic as they may be, are actually quite reliable in these cases.  If it's still the same day, get $1k cash and go there now to settle up, so no shortage is ever on record.

If he wants to consider it free money, he better sell the money order to a stranger ASAP (who has no clue who he is), and never set foot in that WalMart again.   Even then, there are ways they can still track him down.  Any legit churner would make good on this mistake, otherwise you are just another run of the mill scam artist.

rated:
It's possible you're holding paper that won't clear. They clear/deny them using positive pay for this very reason.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   It's possible you're holding paper that won't clear. They clear/deny them using positive pay for this very reason.
  The problem is that the register did not print a MO before being rebooted.  Then, only after contacting the bank (which in no way should've been given an ounce of weight), they printed a MO under a new transaction.  So what he left with is valid, at least until they come up short, figure out why, and issue a stop payment on it - and who knows how long it will take to connect those dots, if ever.

Still boils down to if you are playing it straight, or complicit with the scam you stumbled into.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It's possible you're holding paper that won't clear. They clear/deny them using positive pay for this very reason.
  The problem is that the register did not print a MO before being rebooted.  Then, only after contacting the bank (which in no way should've been given an ounce of weight), they printed a MO under a new transaction.  So what he left with is valid, at least until they come up short, figure out why, and issue a stop payment on it - and who knows how long it will take to connect those dots, if ever.

Still boils down to if you are playing it straight, or complicit with the scam you stumbled into.

Actually the MO itself printed before the jam for the receipt. THEN the register was rebooted. And after that they talked to the Debit Card service.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   

If it has been only two hours, just wait for the transactions to finally post. Give it a couple business days and everything could sort themselves out.
ETA: There was a similar thread where the money was indeed available in card after a month or so.. I am not finding the key words to search for it.

Here.

rated:
pianomaster said:   
Glitch99 said:   

Actually the MO itself printed before the jam for the receipt. THEN the register was rebooted. And after that they talked to the Debit Card service.

If the issue was simply the receipt printing, they should've been able to pull up the receipt in their system and printed a copy.  No receipt found, the transaction never finalized.

Regardless, at this point you should be able to call the number on the money order and enter the serial number to see if it's valid.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   

OP should take the money order and the prepaid card to the scene of the crime.  Write out the money order payable to himself and cash it.  Leave the prepaid card with the employee who processed the original transaction.  Tell him it's his problem now.

That way, OP is made whole and walks out of the store without having to wonder about the validity of the MO and the employee has every bit of information needed to straighten out the problem with WM's registers, whatever it might be.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016