• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Did anyone get this new card in the mail recently?

It offers a 2% cashback bonus on gas stations and restaurants and 1% cashback bonus on everything else.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cash-back/chrome.html

Unfortunately, I don't need this card as I have cards that give me 5% cashback bonus on gas stations and restaurants, and 1.5% - 2% cashback bonus on everything else.

BTW, "Open Road" featured 2% cashback bonus at every gas station & restaurant on the first $250.00 per month and 0.25% on all other purchases.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I got one yesterday that replaced a plain old Discover card that I've had for years.  Same account number, just shinier card.

rated:
dcwilbur said:   I got one yesterday that replaced a plain old Discover card that I've had for years.  Same account number, just shinier card.
  With a chip

rated:
Received it last night and it mentions a $1000 combined purchase limit per quarter on the bonus categories.

rated:
This happened to me too. I then called in to ask them to convert it to the Discover It rewards program (rather than Discover It Chrome) and they told me the change would be effective next billing cycle.

rated:
If you are planning to close your new account, remember to get your rewards first.

I had to call to link a bank account to transfer my $6.55. I will close it once I verify the transfer is complete (72 business hours).

rated:
No, nothing here. Strange.

rated:
flwsoldier said:   This happened to me too. I then called in to ask them to convert it to the Discover It rewards program (rather than Discover It Chrome) and they told me the change would be effective next billing cycle.
  That has been their SOP for at least a decade.

rated:
ablang said:   Did anyone get this new card in the mail recently?
It offers a 2% cashback bonus on gas stations and restaurants and 1% cashback bonus on everything else.
Unfortunately, I don't need this card as I have cards that give me 5% cashback bonus on gas stations and restaurants, and 1.5% - 2% cashback bonus on everything else.

BTW, "Open Road" featured 2% cashback bonus at every gas station & restaurant on the first $250.00 per month and 0.25% on all other purchases.

Discover outside the 5% categories has always been second string compared to the competition.
Examples:
AARP -3% unlimited ~~ cashback bonus on gas stations and restaurants and 1% cashback bonus on everything else.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express~~ 6% at U.S supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% at U.S gas stations; 1% other purchases.
Santander Bank Bravo - ~~•Earn 3x rewards points on supermarket, gas station and restaurant purchases; Up to 15,000 points per calendar quarter; 1x point otherwise  1 cpp

There are several 2% flat rate cards on everything.

rated:
Would you mind sharing what card gives you 5% on restaurants?

rated:
Restaurants 5% is seasonal on Discover and Chase. U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa® Card lets you choose 2 of nine possible choices of at 5% and a separate 2% category out of three choices every quarter.  I chose 5% back on fast food and cell phone service like Sprint.

FatWallet member comments

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance

rated:
Darn... I was hoping for a card that does 5% on RESTAURANTS without rotating categories. Bank Cash+ is just fast food, which I don't spend nearly as much as restaurants.

rated:
I got this notice today. In addition to what others have posted, the letter said I'm getting the Cashback Match for 1 year, essentially making it a card that offers 4% on gas and restaurants and 2% on everything else (more with gift card redemption) for 12 months.

rated:
massmedia said:   Darn... I was hoping for a card that does 5% on RESTAURANTS without rotating categories. Bank Cash+ is just fast food, which I don't spend nearly as much as restaurants.  

It used to. They changed it from a 5% category to a 2% category a while back.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016