• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I owe the IRS 3.5K in back taxes. The cheapest fee I found if I pay via CC is 1.89% (which totals $66).

Should I eat the $66 fee to earn 3.5k points from Chase Ultimate Rewards or not?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Find a card with a good sign-on bonus. 3.5k spend should be sufficient for most cards.

rated:
Hi, the question is not related to signup bonus. But weather its wise to pay $66 merchant fee to earn 3500 points from Chase Ultimate Rewards or pay via bank account to avoid the $66 fee?

rated:
iceburg501 said:   Hi, the question is not related to signup bonus. But weather its wise to pay $66 merchant fee to earn 3500 points from Chase Ultimate Rewards or pay via bank account to avoid the $66 fee?
  I doubt any reward point program is worth ~2c/point. There may be special cases where you are just short of some threshold to redeem a big value item when it becomes worthwhile to spend $66 to get that 3.5k points. But in most cases it is not worthwhile. Just pay cash. Or use a 2% CC if you have one or as I said find a sign-on bonus offer.

rated:
Hi, the question is then "are 3500 Chase UR worth $66 to you", which is a question we can't answer.

How do you plan to redeem them?

rated:
I just paid cash. I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve and will easily hit the bonus point threshold without this purchase. But wanted to gauge if the points were worth the fee.

Thanks for the help.

rated:
I use Citi Double Cash for IRS - you get 2% for what actually works out slightly lower than 1.89%. In addition, get a 1.5 months of float - useful if your funds are at Ally or some bank like that. Not too much money but pays for a lunch or two for very little effort.

rated:
I wouldn't pay 1.8 cents per point for chase UR. The only way that would make sense is if you could do it in 110k chunks and had an immediate need for an United award to Europe and would otherwise pay cash.

rated:
iceburg501 said:   But weather its wise to pay $66 merchant
whether

"But weather" ... depends on the person, but in the crack it could be humid, swampy and have a foul stench.  There may also be explosions of gas from time to time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016