• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I know he was looking for a way to get some press on it so it looks like he made some headway.

rated:
Last year, Citibank allowed at least some cardholders to opt out of arbitration by delivering notice to a certain address by a certain date.  I did that, twice, once by certified mail with signature receipt (so they couldn't deny receiving it) and by regular mail (because companies are notorious for losing certified mail).  They claimed to have received neither, but eventually they sent a letter saying I was exempt from arbitration.  

rated:
Why? "The original amount of the dispute? Less than $150 in fees." Spent $100,000 for a dispute like that? Don't think he belongs to fatwallet.

rated:
faw169 said:   Why? "The original amount of the dispute? Less than $150 in fees." Spent $100,000 for a dispute like that? Don't think he belongs to fatwallet.
  I think there were a couple of angles the OP was probably thinking:

​1.  Do the right thing and fight for your rights, because the way the agreement was written and what they ended up doing did not agree as a citi policy.
​2.  Probably thought that he could fight it and win it, and make it a class action against arbitration and receive all his money back.

rated:
I also think he never decided to spend $100k. More like multiple decisions to spend "another $3k-$7k" with the hope and expectation that each of those would be the last.

rated:
faw169 said:   Why? "The original amount of the dispute? Less than $150 in fees." Spent $100,000 for a dispute like that? Don't think he belongs to fatwallet.

More like he spent $100 to file in small claims court, and Citi kept trying to outspend him.

rated:
  +1.  “What I’ve learned is that I’m really bad at estimating what it will cost.”

Also:  I can't get too excited where the whole thing resulted from the guy overdrawing his checking account.

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   Last year, Citibank allowed at least some cardholders to opt out of arbitration by delivering notice to a certain address by a certain date.  I did that, twice, once by certified mail with signature receipt (so they couldn't deny receiving it) and by regular mail (because companies are notorious for losing certified mail).  They claimed to have received neither, but eventually they sent a letter saying I was exempt from arbitration.  

I just got one of these yesterday for my Double Cash card (my only Citi account currently). I guess I'll send a notice myself just for fun.
What all does the notice need to say? Just a piece of paper saying "I reject the arbitration provision. Yours truly, <full name> <address> <account number>"?

rated:
tuphat said:   
  +1.  “What I’ve learned is that I’m really bad at estimating what it will cost.”

Also:  I can't get too excited where the whole thing resulted from the guy overdrawing his checking account.

Technically he didn't overdraw his checking account.  He relied on his advertised overdraft protection to automatically use funds from a linked savings account to cover charges made on his debit card.  Citi chose to charge an overdraft fee instead of drawing on the funds from the savings account.

If you read the original story, the situation was pretty black/white.  But the actions/statements from citi will make your head spin.  Even above average consumers would expect Citi to apologize and reverse the fees per the overdraft protection agreement.   Instead, Citi 'overreacted' and pulled the nuclear option.  In doing so, they also proved that they never intended to live up to another section of their agreement, the right to sue in small claims court.

rated:
I wonder why he did not report to CFPB on this loophole in Citi's T&C. Going to court seems unnecessary, let alone spending 100k. That said, Citi is a piece of work for push such minor matter for years. Perhaps a class action is exactly what Citi is trying to avoid...

rated:
No matter how you cast or re-cast the story, this guy is poster child for inattention and bad judgment.

The bank allegedly waited until his balance was withdrawn by more than $25 to transfer the money, prompting several late fees in 2010.
Citibank also reported Dempsey late on his payments, leading to his credit score to drop from about 700, a level viewed as good, into the 500s, or the subprime range.
“What I was after was to fix my credit. That’s all I wanted,” Dempsey said. “I wasn’t interested in being a crusader against Citibank.”

P.S.  Hope his lawyers send him a gift for Xmas, it's the least they could do as they chuckle all the way to the bank.

rated:
ahcool said:   I wonder why he did not report to CFPB on this loophole in Citi's T&C. Going to court seems unnecessary, let alone spending 100k. That said, Citi is a piece of work for push such minor matter for years. Perhaps a class action is exactly what Citi is trying to avoid...
  My read is that Citi offered to settle early on, but Mr. Know-It-All kept spending himself into oblivion.

He added that settlement discussions with Citibank were fruitless since the bank was offering far less than what he had spent so far. “If I had spent $5,000, they offered me $200 or $300. It never made sense,” he said.

rated:
I submitted to consumerist, that's a perfect story for them.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016