• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Wife was in wreck last week .Other guys fault,  repair  Shop said 5 days+ $2.5K damage L(

Spoke to adjuster from Hallmark insurance (horrible reviews online)  http://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/insurance-property/hallmark-insurance-company-in-plano-tx-8269/customer-reviews?cacheit=y 

They accepted liability, but don't have preferred repair shops. I'm going to try to have this  direct billed regardless after reading reviews.

They're only offering $20/day rental payment or actual costs but again we'd have to pay upfront We have a SUV and kids so subcompact won't work.  Do I have any leverage on this matter?? My plan USAA said since we don't have collision it's a "report only" claim from them

I'm waiting to hear back from Hallmark insurance  appraiser but thought I should be armed with more info. before they call back.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
From appraiser:

"Hallmark does not direct bill rental. However, we can reimburse rental. Please keep in mind, holidays wi... (more)

needhelpplease (Nov. 20, 2016 @ 12:37p) |

Just politely remind the adjuster that you do not have a policy with his company, and that those rules don't apply to yo... (more)

woowoo2 (Nov. 20, 2016 @ 1:22p) |

Stop listening to anything the appraiser tells you!    Your car is in the shop, they owe you a rental.  It's not your pr... (more)

drodge (Nov. 21, 2016 @ 11:11a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
do you have a costco membership? they have dirt cheap rental discounted rates.

rated:
They pay actual costs. What's your concern about paying up-front? (And yes, you can't go through your insurance since the other company says they accepted 100% responsibility
What leverage are you looking for?

ETA: Hardly the "bad reviews" I would have expected

rated:
Not really without even more fun of arguement and lawsuits. The 'rental' fee is enough to get you a car, and that's about it.

Actually I'm surprised they even have that clause to pay for a rental car, most don't.

rated:
ellory said:   They pay actual costs. What's your concern about paying up-front? (And yes, you can't go through your insurance since the other company says they accepted 100% responsibility
What leverage are you looking for?

Them not paying up after the fact. USAA has always direct billed everything for me in the past.  I want them to pay  for everything directly

or maybe I should chance it and get a CC bonus... We're talking about $3K here 

rated:
They owe you comparable replacement transportation. If you had an SUV, they owe you an SUV. Are they saying you need to incur the cost of the rental if it is going to be more than $20 a day? That sounds reasonable. (At first I thought you were saying they would only pay up to $20 a day for a rental)

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
They're only offering $20/day rental payment or actual costs but again we'd have to pay upfront ...

The $20 is probably what they would pay if you don't rent a car.  Just make sure you follow their rules for where to rent and what to rent, and then file the claim. You are worrying unnecessarily. 

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
needhelpplease said:   
They're only offering $20/day rental payment or actual costs but again we'd have to pay upfront ...

The $20 is probably what they would pay if you don't rent a car.  Just make sure you follow their rules for where to rent and what to rent, and then file the claim. You are worrying unnecessarily. 

Yes that's it.  I wouldn't worry if they were a big company. Small co.+ bad reviews...

Why don't they direct bill like USAA?  Hope they don't do that with the shop...

rated:
dannon35 said:   They owe you comparable replacement transportation. If you had an SUV, they owe you an SUV. Are they saying you need to incur the cost of the rental if it is going to be more than $20 a day? That sounds reasonable. (At first I thought you were saying they would only pay up to $20 a day for a rental)
  May I ask where you see such a statement? My insurance document states 'We will pay you $35/ day in case of a covered incident'.  That's it.  No statements of 'comparable car'

rated:
Tell them that your back hurts....

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
dannon35 said:   They owe you comparable replacement transportation. If you had an SUV, they owe you an SUV. Are they saying you need to incur the cost of the rental if it is going to be more than $20 a day? That sounds reasonable. (At first I thought you were saying they would only pay up to $20 a day for a rental)
  May I ask where you see such a statement? My insurance document states 'We will pay you $35/ day in case of a covered incident'.  That's it.  No statements of 'comparable car'

OP doesn't have a contract with the liability carrier doing the paying, so they're stuck with covering whatever liability their client incurred by hitting his wife's SUV, they can't use contract clauses to limit their cost.

rated:
taxmantoo said:     
OP doesn't have a contract with the liability carrier doing the paying, so they're stuck with covering whatever liability their client incurred by hitting his wife's SUV, they can't use contract clauses to limit their cost.

But does the liability carrier have to provide a Rent A car?

If they don't have to, then why would they be on the hook for a 'comparable car'

rated:
forbin4040 said:   

This isn't his insurance.  This is a liability claim against someone else, and they're liable for whatever expenses are incurred - including the lack of use of his car, which is typically accounted for in the cost to procure alternative transportation.

rated:
dup

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
woowoo2 said:   Tell them that your back hurts....

Wife already said no pain... 

Although I could bring that up later if they play hardball paying claim. 

There is ALWAYS pain. Aside from Physical, there are Emotional, Spiritual, Psychological, and now it's on Fatwallet, you also get Virtual pain.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   

I have mentioned to an adjuster that I was trying to not bring medical issues into the settlement, if I found that they were jacking me around then all my chips would be on the table.
Things did go smoother after that.....

rated:
needhelpplease said:   We have a SUV and kids so subcompact won't work.  
My plan USAA said since we don't have collision it's a "report only" claim 

How many kids? Even a subcompact will hold 5 people.
If the SUV didn't have collision I assume it's a beater, so any rental you get will be a step up.

rated:
woowoo2 said:   
needhelpplease said:   

I have mentioned to an adjuster that I was trying to not bring medical issues into the settlement, if I found that they were jacking me around then all my chips would be on the table.
Things did go smoother after that.....

I might do it if they play around then....
Although they've passed me to an appraiser already..

rated:
I have been blessed that the insurance companies that accepted fault paid for the rental for a reasonable period and gave me notice when they would stop paying since my car was declared totaled in each case.

rated:
atikovi said:   

If the SUV didn't have collision I assume it's a beater, so any rental you get will be a step up.

Yeah, it's funny how everyone "needs" an SUV. I saw a guy once cram his 3 kids and himself into a Geo Metro which was a small 3 cylinder car with no trunk and just held 4 people.

rated:
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

Yeah, it's funny how everyone "needs" an SUV. I saw a guy once cram his 3 kids and himself into a Geo Metro which was a small 3 cylinder car with no trunk and just held 4 people.

OP might not "need" an SUV, but the driver who hit his SUV owes him the use of one.

OP, call or go to Enterprise and talk to them...they probably have direct bill with the insurer, and they know exactly what they'll pay for.  You still need to get the adjuster to agree to the SUV class car.  I drove a sweet Cadillac for a month because the car that was wrecked was a late-model Lexus.  They wanted to pay for the intermediate class car (Corolla) but I told the adjuster I needed a nice car.

rated:
Also....
Don't let the insurance company talk you onto using your insurance on the rental.
Make them pay extra for it.
Your policy probably wont cover "loss of use" if you were to wreck it.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
taxmantoo said:     

But does the liability carrier have to provide a Rent A car?

If they don't have to, then why would they be on the hook for a 'comparable car'

They don't "have" to do anything.  The OP can sue the other driver in small claims court for anything that is reasonable and it's a slam dunk win.  It's pretty much a given that the judge is going to allow an SUV rental to replace the loss of use of an SUV.  At that point, it's an issue between the other driver and his insurance company as to what they are going to pay.   People misunderstand the concept of insurance.  The agreement is between the insurer and the insured, not the person who got hit.   The insurance company has already agreed to represent the insured if it goes to court, which they are going to avoid like the plague.  The second you tell them you are suing (or better yet, serve them), they are going to settle. 

rated:
atikovi said:   

Are you aware of the existence of carseats?  They take up quite a bit of room.  

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
atikovi said:   

but there's a big jump to suv that will fit three carseats in back

rated:
AAlison said:   
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

OP might not "need" an SUV, but the driver who hit his SUV owes him the use of one.

OP, call or go to Enterprise and talk to them...they probably have direct bill with the insurer, and they know exactly what they'll pay for.  You still need to get the adjuster to agree to the SUV class car.  I drove a sweet Cadillac for a month because the car that was wrecked was a late-model Lexus.  They wanted to pay for the intermediate class car (Corolla) but I told the adjuster I needed a nice car.

That is debateable. Wasn't there a similar thread here a year or two back about the owner of a pickup who got hit? He used the truck in business and the insurance company wanted to give him a sedan while it was being repaired. What if your Ferrari or Lambo gets hit? You expect to get the same in a rental? 

rated:
atikovi said:   
AAlison said:   
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

That is debateable. Wasn't there a similar thread here a year or two back about the owner of a pickup who got hit? He used the truck in business and the insurance company wanted to give him a sedan while it was being repaired. What if your Ferrari or Lambo gets hit? You expect to get the same in a rental? 

If you are driving a Ferrari or a Lambo your REAL concern is likely whether you have enough underinsured motorist coverage - most drivers don't carry enough liability so they would "max" out anyway and then you would have to sue to driver for the shortfall otherwise.

rated:
atikovi said:   
AAlison said:   
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

Yes.  

rated:
Expect is different from get. Probably less than half a dozen companies that rent those cars and good luck getting an insurance company to pay the $1,000 a day rate for you.

rated:
TrueKnight said:   There is ALWAYS pain. Aside from Physical, there are Emotional, Spiritual, Psychological, and now it's on Fatwallet, you also get Virtual pain.
  This thread is starting to hurt my head.  Put me down for a couple of $K of damages when you settle the claim.

rated:

See, didn't take long for someone to mention insurance fraud.  FWF is getting quicker in this. 

PS:  OP wasn't in car, wife was.

rated:
atikovi said:   
AAlison said:   

atikovi said:   Expect is different from get. Probably less than half a dozen companies that rent those cars and good luck getting an insurance company to pay the $1,000 a day rate for you.

Enterprise rents high-dollar sports cars - they have BMWs, Porsches, etc.  So yes, if I drove a Ferrari, I would ask for a rental in the same car class.

You're right that there might be some logistical problems as far as how high the insurer is willing to go without a lawsuit, and where to get a comparable vehicle (Enterprise only has these in big cities, so if you're driving a Ferrari in Oklahoma it might be tougher).  But I would still go as far as I could on this - I wouldn't accept the standard $20/day Corolla.

rated:
Ferrari is generally in a different price class than BMW and Porsche.

rated:
Mickie3 said:   

See, didn't take long for someone to mention insurance fraud. 

What fraud?
You are just communicating that you wont be a pushover.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
atikovi said:   

but there's a big jump to suv that will fit three carseats in back

But not a huge jump to a car or SUV that will take two carseats plus an adult in the middle...

rated:
atikovi said:   
AAlison said:   
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

It happened to me : https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1509816?showmessage=195...

rated:
henry33 said:   
atikovi said:   

Big deal, once when I was in an underdeveloped country I saw a guy riding a motorcycle with a child hanging on the back, neither had helmets. Also, when I was a kid, we would cram 8 people into a six-seater (yes the front had a bench), no one wore seat-belts and at least two people were smoking.

It's not unreasonable for the OP to expect to get something comparable to what he had before the accident. He deserves to be made whole. 

rated:
woowoo2 said:   
Mickie3 said:   

See, didn't take long for someone to mention insurance fraud. 

What fraud?
You are just communicating that you wont be a pushover.

Suggesting insurance fraud.  You want OP to say that his back hurts when he was NOT in car and wife was.  What part exactly did you mean that was NOT fabricating false statements to defraud the insurance company?

rated:
Not interested in fraud just getting back up to whole, without any money out of pocket...

They're low balling my 1st shop estimate by about $200 (10 %)

Per appraiser " I was able to locate LKQ and/or new A/M parts (e.g. front bumper cover, rt headlamp, and rt fender and skirt.).

Please be sure to give a copy of my estimate to the shop of your choice. If they find any additional damage, it has my contact information for any supplement.

I am issuing payment to you through regular mail"

She never replied to my car rental direct billing question...

Is this pretty typical? Can I ask for new parts??

Skipping 16 Messages...
rated:
needhelpplease said:   From appraiser:

"Hallmark does not direct bill rental. However, we can reimburse rental. Please keep in mind, holidays will not be covered so be sure to schedule the repairs during a time it will actually be worked on"

so what happens on weekend??

Stop listening to anything the appraiser tells you!    Your car is in the shop, they owe you a rental.  It's not your problem that the insured hit hit you on a date which lines up with a holiday.    Pay the rental bill and send them a copy.  End of story.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016