• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So long story; I attended college for 2 years, without ever taking out a student loan, everything was paid for out of pocket straight to the university or via scholarship. I ended up losing my scholarship, which put me nearly 6k in the hole. Due to some family circumstances, I was never able to qualify for FAFSA, so I went on a payment plan with the university. My dad told me he would pay the payments because of our financial situation. I had a falling out with him and he stoped after one payment without telling me. Now the debt was sent to a collections agency. I don't have the type of money to pay this back. I live paycheck to paycheck and have little to no wiggle room. My car costed $400 and is the most expensive thing I own.

Is there any type of bankruptcy I can file for to clear this out?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Since it does not sound like a student loan, yeah, BK should clear it.

rated:
Yeah, it was straight up debt to the college. I'd go for a semester and pay it off, then start over. The final semester I was overloaded on courses and couldn't work enough hours to make everything work

rated:
You're judgment proof. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just tell the collectors that you refuse to pay, cease all collections activities, and by the way, I'm broke, so suing me wouldn't be such a good idea?

rated:
taxmantoo said:   You're judgment proof. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just tell the collectors that you refuse to pay, cease all collections activities, and by the way, I'm broke, so suing me wouldn't be such a good idea?
  They can get a judgment against him and while broke now may not always be.  Judgements last fir years and van be renewed in many states.

rated:
In the case of a judgment, if he later becomes marginally successful, $6k isn't going to break him. In the meantime, tell them to pound sand -- and only contact you via letter.

rated:
If he later becomes successful, a $6k judgment might be less painful than a BK on his credit report.
Being it's a college, they are more likely to sue than a credit card issuer would be.

rated:
Typically the way most people file, a BK isnt free. It sill cost you 1-2k just to file/process. So you are better off just ignoring it.

rated:
daw4888 said:   Typically the way most people file, a BK isnt free. It sill cost you 1-2k just to file/process. 
  how do people with no money file BK ?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
daw4888 said:   Typically the way most people file, a BK isnt free. It sill cost you 1-2k just to file/process. 
  how do people with no money file BK ?

It costs $335 to file, but a lot people need the assistance of an attorney to get it done.  In the OP case, I wouldn't waste the $335 if you are judgement proof to begin with.  Let alone what he might need to pay an attorney to help process the paperwork, and assist him in making sure everything is filed/accounted for correctly.

There are some non-profit groups that will help with the paperwork, but not everyone will be able to get that kind of help.

rated:
I feel your pain, but it's a downright shame to file for BK with only $6000 of debt. What about delivering pizzas? Or waiting tables? Or even manufactured spending?

It's time to get a second (or third) job...  Keep them at least until you've paid your debt back and have an emergency fund in place.

rated:
If the courts really have no hope of squeezing the filing fee out of you in four monthly payments, you can try to get it waived. But don't demonstrate your ability to hire an attorney and tell the courts you have no money left for them.

http://www.uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms/application-have-...

rated:
OP, You mentioned that your dad stopped paying it off and you just found out... How long since the last payment? There's a chance it may be out of statute of limitations.

rated:
Filing for BK over $6k is an absurd idea...and doubly so at a young age.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016