• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
While reviewing my credit reports, I noticed that all of my American Express account numbers on the report had nothing in common with the number on my cards.  They aren't even close.  The data is correct, such as credit limit, amount owed each month and the account opening date. 

Does American Express intentionally use a bogus number for the purpose of credit reports? That's pretty clever if they do, but I hadn't noticed this until now.  They do use a separate number for contactless transactions. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Odds are your observation will apply to most if not all your credit cards.  I doubt that observation is restricted to AMEX.

rated:
Yes, the account numbers used by Amex on CRs are only used on the credit reports. In fact, the credit reporting office will only talk to you using these numbers, not the actual account numbers.

rated:
JW10 said:   Odds are your observation will apply to most if not all your credit cards.  I doubt that observation is restricted to AMEX.

For me, my other accounts show the real account numbers (or a portion thereof).  Only Amex issued by Amex have the alternate numbers. 

rated:
I also have noticed that the AMEX card numbers on the CRs don't match the actual card #s. Usually a lot of the other cards from other issuers do from what I remember offhand.

rated:
NEDeals said:   
JW10 said:   Odds are your observation will apply to most if not all your credit cards.  I doubt that observation is restricted to AMEX.

For me, my other accounts show the real account numbers (or a portion thereof).  Only Amex issued by Amex have the alternate numbers. 

I've noticed that on my credit reports that the other accounts numbers are the actual account numbers.  Only part of the account numbers are on the report, but it is the actual account number. 

rated:
The account number scrambling has been used by amex since before I joined FWF.

This only becomes apparent or confusing if you have multiple accounts with the same credit line that were back-dated and you either didn't keep track of the account opening date or they were opened in the same calendar month

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016