• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have recently heard that certain laundromats will rent out space in their facility that you can put in your own machines. I am looking for anyone who may have any experience in doing this or anyone that has any insight into this. I am finding very little information online. Thank you.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

jedblanks (Nov. 29, 2016 @ 2:03p) |

The ONLY scenario where I could see a laundromat owner being OK with this would be if the owner is INCREDIBLY cash-strap... (more)

cestmoi123 (Nov. 29, 2016 @ 2:40p) |

Except the Laundry industrial complex has already thought of this. At least in big cities there are management companies... (more)

Stubtify (Nov. 29, 2016 @ 9:55p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You should ask them directly and make them an offer

rated:
You mean rent out a spot so you can install your own machines, which will be in direct competition with them?  

rated:
Sounds more like for someone who does a lot of laundry and doesn't have space for a machine. Like a catering business or AirBnB.

rated:
sounds more like a laundry that is cheap on the maintenance and thinks there is a sucker out there who will pay him RENT and give him a free machine as well.  Considering all the machines have to match as well as attract business from the other machines.

rated:
He's talking about putting in vending machines.

rated:
Ha. Leaving out the word 'vending' changes the entire trajectory of the thread.

rated:
I wasn't talking about vending machines and yes I was speaking more in terms of paying rent for a space for my own washing or drying machines. It did seem like a stretch because your right all machines have to match and it would be in direct competition. I'm trying to look for self operating ways to earn a little extra income.

rated:
kevinrbarretta said:   I wasn't talking about vending machines and yes I was speaking more in terms of paying rent for a space for my own washing or drying machines. It did seem like a stretch because your right all machines have to match and it would be in direct competition. I'm trying to look for self operating ways to earn a little extra income.
  If there was a sure fire way to make extra income that was self going...well sign me and the other 10 million people up.

All 'surefire' ways need maintenance, and sometimes that isn't Cheap.
Renting Homes
Uber
Video Arcades
Vending Machines

All of those above are 'self running' items, but if you don't maintain them, they will fall apart and cease making you money.

I did like the idea of a Uber type of Laundry Service, but what you described is someone else making money and you making pennies (Err Quarters), if anything.

rated:
Why would any laundromat do this? I cannot come up with any way that this is mutually beneficial to both of you. Either you are paying too much for the machine being there or they are giving up some profits by having you there. I guess maybe if they wanted to level out their monthly revenue stream or something.

rated:
Sounds like a great money making idea, for the other side.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Uber

All of those above are 'self running' items, but if you don't maintain them, they will fall apart and cease making you money.

How is uber self running?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

Just like the others, you need a manager....but you provide the car.  Can't have a laundromat without change, can't have a house without utilities, can't have uber without a driver

rated:
What do you do when some jerk dumps a bag of cement in the washer?

rated:
Sounds way scammy.

If you're dead set on this I'd go around to 5-10 other laundries in many different areas. And I ask the attendants or owners something like this, "Have you ever heard of laundry owners renting out space so others can install & profit from their own w&d? Sounds really far fetched. Right?" I wouldn't say do you rent out space.

rated:
atikovi said:   What do you do when some jerk dumps a bag of cement in the washer?
  Does this actually happen?  Admittedly, I've never used a laundromat.

rated:
Calculate the cost of buying washer/dryer and renting the space and see how long it would take you to hit that cost by just using their machines. The payoff period is in years (possibly decades) and it's just not worth it.

rated:
I learned everything I needed to know about laundromats from the John Waters film, Pecker. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126604/

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Just like the others, you need a manager....but you provide the car.  Can't have a laundromat without change, can't have a house without utilities, can't have uber without a driver

Not if you have a self-driving car... Problem solved.  

ETA:  The laundromat question is stupid.  If you want to open a laundromat, then just do that.  Maybe you'll find an empty building for lease that's already got a 'Laundro-matic' sign on the front of it?  Is that what you're looking for?

rated:
OP needs to watch the last few episodes of Shameless on Showtime.

rated:
ryoung81 said:   
atikovi said:   What do you do when some jerk dumps a bag of cement in the washer?
  Does this actually happen?  Admittedly, I've never used a laundromat.

Season 2, Episode 7   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOwTN4-n1I

rated:
The ONLY scenario where I could see a laundromat owner being OK with this would be if the owner is INCREDIBLY cash-strapped and can't afford to purchase the machines himself, or finance them somehow. In other words, the only counterparty who might be interested is one I'd never want to do business with.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   The ONLY scenario where I could see a laundromat owner being OK with this would be if the owner is INCREDIBLY cash-strapped and can't afford to purchase the machines himself, or finance them somehow. In other words, the only counterparty who might be interested is one I'd never want to do business with.
  Except the Laundry industrial complex has already thought of this. At least in big cities there are management companies who lease out machines and handle the maintenance for a fixed amount each month. If someone still doesn't have the cash flow for leasing machines then he's a real deadbeat like you say. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016