• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have been to a chain restaurant where the server keeps my coins. I know the practice is illegal, if they are going to round, it has to be in the customers favor.
​I have brought it to the attention of management, that if each server is doing this during their shift, that adds up at the end of the day.  Their response was they agreed, and gave me some coins to leave.
​When the server tries to pull this, it costs them their tip, I leave 0.
How common is this? Who else had this happen?
​ex. bill is 9.50, pay with 20. only get 10 change.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I like to see the look on the cashier's face when I give them enough change so that I get a quarter back.

Cashier: "That'... (more)

BostonOne (Nov. 18, 2016 @ 7:09a) |

People who aren't smart enough to have learned simple addition and subtraction by the age of 15 through osmosis, even if... (more)

DTASFAB (Nov. 18, 2016 @ 8:36a) |

If the 'mistakes' are usually in their favor, what do you think the odds are that they are all mistakes?
One of the toll ... (more)

beatme (Nov. 18, 2016 @ 8:37a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
does this count as a tipping thread?

rated:
I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

rated:
Agreed, if they take your 20 cents, that's their tip.

Just be sure to do the math right. It would be terrible if they rounded to your favor and you stiffed them.

rated:
How is it that the server shorts you 50 cents without you then immediately demanding they hand over the 50 cents?

rated:
scrouds said:   Agreed, if they take your 20 cents, that's their tip.

Just be sure to do the math right. It would be terrible if they rounded to your favor and you stiffed them.

  I always double check with the Handy calculator how much to expect back.

rated:
jerosen said:   I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

  Some really good ethnic restaurants don't take CCs. My favorite Afghani and Peruvian restaurants started taking CCs, but my favorite Vietnamese restaurant still doesn't.

rated:
jerosen said:   I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

  
Occasionally, I've tipped in Cash.  But in general, why would anyone want to give up the cash-back offered by paying with credit card?

rated:
Why don't you just ask for the change?

rated:
Next time bring a bag of cents to pay to the bill.


If you are going to tip anyway why not just deduct change from the final tip? What's the big deal behind it?

rated:
I say just the tip and just for a second.

rated:
Am I am the only one that would be HAPPY if they didn't give me my change? Change is the worst.

rated:
I've never seen this happen ever. Where do you live OP?

rated:
I've had something similar happen to me at a somewhat well known restaurant in the area, and I wasn't happy about it at all. Was supposed to get 58c back and they gave me 50c. Sure, it's just 8c, but by not even giving me the option to toss it in the change/tip jar is theft IMO. I would have tipped that meal, but decided against it and never went back.

rated:
I've had servers give me back dirty/soiled bills. Must be done on purpose to get you to leave those bills as a tip.

rated:
Bars are another place that never gives coins back either. Such as if a drink costs $3.50, they come back with a $1. I suppose that's their tip?

rated:
What are coins?

rated:
i would demand my correct change and then NOT leave a tip....and never come back,,restaurants are a dime a dozen,,i might also call the police depending on what political affiliation they are...

rated:
I've never been in this situation, if I'm paying cash I almost always leave the right amount for payment and tip. Hypothetically, for a small bill (like Centora87's drink example), I would be annoyed. For a whole meal where the coins make up just a few percent, I'd just account for it in the tip. Most people probably are probably going to leave the coins anyway and probably appreciate the reduced hassle.

There are a bunch of server tricks to guilt people into tipping that really piss me off, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
jerosen said:   I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

  Some really good ethnic restaurants don't take CCs. My favorite Afghani and Peruvian restaurants started taking CCs, but my favorite Vietnamese restaurant still doesn't.

  Do they round up or down for the IRS?

rated:
jsssm said:   Am I am the only one that would be HAPPY if they didn't give me my change? Change is the worst.
  Not when it's quarters, those are awesome.

rated:
avalon6 said:   I've had servers give me back dirty/soiled bills. Must be done on purpose to get you to leave those bills as a tip.
  You ever work as a cashier? The average bill is nasty. People lick their fingers, lick the bill then hand it to you. Crack hoes store them inside their bras. Homeless people keep them in their shoe. All the more reason to pay with card.

rated:
Server almost hits old gypsy woman with car
Gypsy: "May all your customers be cheapskate fatwalleters!"
Server: "NOOOOOOO"

rated:
If I pay cash, I just tell the server how much I want back. I hate coins, so they're getting them

rated:
I think it's happened before, never really paid much attention to it. It's basically pocket change, nothing to get worked up over. The reason you pay with cash is so that you can get out of there. When you pay with credit card, you have to wait for them to run it through, bring it back etc. Just leave cash on the table and leave, it'll save you time. Not sure the 2% cash back I get on a $20 charge is worth the 5-10 minute wait. Then you have to make sure they didn't screw with the tip amount when you get your credit card statement. Just not worth it.

rated:
I haven't paid in cash in years, so I've never noticed that practice.

rated:
tightpapa said:   
stanolshefski said:   
jerosen said:   I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

  Some really good ethnic restaurants don't take CCs. My favorite Afghani and Peruvian restaurants started taking CCs, but my favorite Vietnamese restaurant still doesn't.

  Do they round up or down for the IRS?

  I've never given them anything other than the check + tip.

rated:
The change thing is annoying but I hate coins so whatever.

The one that really pisses me off is in Vegas on a comped meal if you're paying a balance in cash some servers act like tax isn't included with the comp when in many places it is. For example if you have a comp for 40 bucks and the meal is 60 before tax you should only owe 20 plus tax in many places (mgm properties for sure). If you pay on a card there is no way for them to steal money from you but with cash they'll often lie-so i always ask first then pay with a card. if they lie they get no tip, if they told the truth they get a good tip.

rated:
I thought this topic would be about BofA's servers rounding cents in bank's favor

rated:
When I joined FW, we were discussing 1000s.   Sad allegory of what happened since to the economy, jobs and us.

rated:
videogamesaremylife said:   
jerosen said:   I don't think I've paid with cash at a restaurant in years.

When I did I never had anyone steal from me.

Go to a different restaurant.

  
Occasionally, I've tipped in Cash.  But in general, why would anyone want to give up the cash-back offered by paying with credit card?

  
i always pay with credit card and get 3% cashback on Costco visa.  but i always tip in cash.   why?   so they dont need to report the tip to irs.   i didnt do anything illegal, if they dont report it, that' their problem.

rated:
Can we please have more tipping/waiter compensation threads? We haven't yet done this topic justice. TIA

rated:
Odd, a number of times it's been just the opposite for me. If, let's say, $2.80 was due back, I got $3.00 instead. Don't recall it ever being the other way around, and we eat out frequently.

rated:
netnerd said:   i always pay with credit card and get 3% cashback on Costco visa.  but i always tip in cash.   why?   so they dont need to report the tip to irs.   i didnt do anything illegal, if they dont report it, that' their problem.
 

How did you paid with Costco visa prior to June 19?
Do you pay taxes on your earnings?

rated:
T800 said:   
jsssm said:   Am I am the only one that would be HAPPY if they didn't give me my change? Change is the worst.
  Not when it's quarters, those are awesome.

  Based on your reply and the green you got, I feel like I'm missing out on some big FWF churning opportunity.

rated:
One time, I worked in a retail store, where 95%+ of customers paid cash. Whenever a customer was due change involving multiple $1 bills, I kept one (or two). Only one customer (out of hundreds) immediately caught my "error." My skimming scheme added up to more than my weekly paycheck.

rated:
svap said:   
netnerd said:   i always pay with credit card and get 3% cashback on Costco visa.  but i always tip in cash.   why?   so they dont need to report the tip to irs.   i didnt do anything illegal, if they dont report it, that' their problem.
How did you paid with Costco visa prior to June 19?
Do you pay taxes on your earnings?

  
​i guess you also  report those internet sale taxes on your tax return?  LOL

rated:
The servers must be that Fatwalleter wife's siblings.

rated:
netnerd said:   
svap said:   
netnerd said:   i always pay with credit card and get 3% cashback on Costco visa.  but i always tip in cash.   why?   so they dont need to report the tip to irs.   i didnt do anything illegal, if they dont report it, that' their problem.
How did you paid with Costco visa prior to June 19?
Do you pay taxes on your earnings?

  
​i guess you also  report those internet sale taxes on your tax return?  LOL

  
Huh?  No sales tax here, but even if there was, you would need to report USE tax not sales tax.  Sales tax means time of sale. 

Skipping 11 Messages...
rated:
tightpapa said:   Having paid a lot with cash. I have found the change maker, whoever they are, make a lot of mistakes. It is usually in their favor but only a few cents. It is just a lot of people can't add or subtract.
  If the 'mistakes' are usually in their favor, what do you think the odds are that they are all mistakes?
One of the toll takers around here kept 'accidentally' giving a nickel sandwiched between two quarters when 75 cents change was needed. This ticked me off, because at that time, quarters were very valuable to me (see posts above).

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016