• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
​Andrews Federal Credit Union, Black Friday Sale, Share Certificate 3.01% for 3 Months.
​Minimum opening balance is $1000.  Easy membership.  Good through Nov 30, 2016.
​I applied 11/13 and finalized my application 11/16. I received my acct # and opened my online acct the same day.
This is short term but worth the effort! 

Moderator Comment: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here. — Nov. 17, 2016 @ 12:04pm
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
-delete-

FrozenBiker (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 9:12p) |

Credit unions are not FDIC insured. The equivalent is NCUA and they are "Federally insured by the NCUA" as indicated in ... (more)

fwuser12 (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 9:26p) |

is there limit on the number of Promo CD's you can open ?

justdoit (Dec. 02, 2016 @ 9:14a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
wonder what the rate will revert to after 3 months?

rated:
Is there a hard pull for opening an account? What's the maximum deposit?

rated:
No max AFAIK.

rated:
Terms -

(2) 3.01% APY (Annual Percentage Yield) is a special rate offered on a 3 Month Share Certificate for a limited time. APY will remain in effect for the term of the share certificate but may change each time the share certificate is renewed. Rates offered are subject to change at any time. Penalties apply for early withdrawal; fees may reduce earnings on the account. Dividends are compounded and credited quarterly. Minimum opening balance is $1000; minimum balance to earn dividends is $1000. Must be a member of Andrews Federal Credit Union to obtain any deposit product. Offer not available online; must visit an Andrews branch location or speak with an Andrews telephone representative to open share certificate account.

rated:
Too bad it isn't for a longer term. Just not worth it for 3-months.

rated:
3 months is a short period. But, I'll gain the 3% interest & I would only be gaining 1% at Alliant.
Opening the account was really painless.

rated:
tennis8363 said:   Too bad it isn't for a longer term. Just not worth it for 3-months.
  Same rate is available for 84-month CD. How is that for longer term! https://www.andrewsfcu.org/whats-new/promotions.html
ETA: They also have 18-month CD at 1.81% APY

rated:
tennis8363 said:   Too bad it isn't for a longer term. Just not worth it for 3-months.
  I agree. Not the like the 7 mo. 7 % we got a few months back..

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1495765

Do banks typically send out a CD renewal reminder?

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
  Same rate is available for 84-month CD. How is that for longer term! https://www.andrewsfcu.org/whats-new/promotions.html 

7 years! Although we might have low interest rates for a while depending on what happens with Trump+Fed

rated:
Hmm... No max, no bad!

rated:
gremln007 said:   Hmm... No max, no bad!

Any CC funding??

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
ETA: They also have 18-month CD at 1.81% APY

Not available online. That sort of kills the deal for 98% of the country.
" Offer not available online; must visit an Andrews branch location or speak with an Andrews telephone representative to open share certificate account. "

rated:
tennis8363 said:    Not available online. That sort of kills the deal for 98% of the country.
" Offer not available online; must visit an Andrews branch location or speak with an Andrews telephone representative to open share certificate account. "

You have the phone option which is available throughout the country. Agree, it does mean extra time/effort than a simple online application but doe not kill the deal.

rated:
If you check real closely, you can do an online application. Do the Membership Application and they will then e-mail a copy of that app & have you sign a signature card.
In my case I faxed those forms back that same day. The next day I was e-mailed security questions & by the 4th day I received my Acct #.
I have to say, everything moved correctly & quickly for me. Today I started my ACH with Alliant CU (small deposits). Since that will probably show 11/18 & I will ACH funds into the savings by 11/21.
Hopefully I will be able to transfer those funds from savings to open the 3Mo 3.01% CD.

rated:

rated:
gremln007 said:   Online Application:
https://es.loanspq.com/Consumer/Xpress/public/Disclosure.aspx

Invalid Session
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your session has become invalid. Please close this browser and log in again from your lender's site.

rated:
Call me a hater, but let's assume I throw $10k at one of these, that's only a $75 payoff. Sure, compared to a 0% savings I suppose it's better than nothing, but I'm not running to their website for $75 in taxable interest.

rated:
mwa423 said:   Call me a hater, but let's assume I throw $10k at one of these, that's only a $75 payoff. Sure, compared to a 0% savings I suppose it's better than nothing, but I'm not running to their website for $75 in taxable interest.

Think bigger. Throw in $100k and you can make $750 easy with no risk.  

rated:
Andrews CSR told me today that at least the 84-month 3.01% CD is being extended through 12/31/16.  (I didn't ask about the 3-month.)

rated:
vnuts21 said:   Is there a hard pull for opening an account? What's the maximum deposit?
  I had a TransUnion hard pull when opening a new membership, but that may be because I also requested a checking account.

rated:
fw9999 said:   Andrews CSR told me today that at least the 84-month 3.01% CD is being extended through 12/31/16.  (I didn't ask about the 3-month.)
  I hope this one last longer.  I have a very large CD that matures in mid January.  Right now I'm just placing what I have in the 3Mo 3.01%.

rated:
pattyB said:   
fw9999 said:   Andrews CSR told me today that at least the 84-month 3.01% CD is being extended through 12/31/16.  (I didn't ask about the 3-month.)
  I hope this one last longer.  I have a very large CD that matures in mid January.  Right now I'm just placing what I have in the 3Mo 3.01%.

Your post got me to thinkin'.  Years ago, when rates were falling quickly, I had a similar situation.  Had a CD near to maturity.  Was concerned by the time it finally matured CD rates would be even lower.  So I borrowed a LOT of money very short term (weeks) and used it, together with money I already had available, to open the CD I wanted.  Bottom line:

It worked out.  Luck was involved, of course:  rates could have turned around and headed higher.  But they did not.  I used money from the maturing CD to pay off my loan, and pocketed the CD I had purchased at a higher interest rate.

In my opinion, things today are the opposite of all that.  Rates are headed higher, not lower.  I would not today pull the same "borrow and invest" stunt I did years ago.  Course, again, it is all luck.  Nobody knows for certain the direction of interest rates.  But if rates are indeed ascending, having a little dry powder at hand is not such a nettlesome thing.

rated:
I am seeing a hard pull transunion. I opened a savings account only.

rated:
ThWrfdzx9 said:   I am seeing a hard pull transunion. I opened a savings account only.

Thx Not worth it unless you're thinking low int. rates for 8 yrs.

rated:
avalon6 said:   
mwa423 said:   Call me a hater, but let's assume I throw $10k at one of these, that's only a $75 payoff. Sure, compared to a 0% savings I suppose it's better than nothing, but I'm not running to their website for $75 in taxable interest.

Think bigger. Throw in $100k and you can make $750 easy with no risk.  

Wish I had a larger batch of cash right now.  But I have a few large CD's that mature in 2017, so perhaps something like this will come along later.    

rated:
Opened my acct 11/14/16. Today online, I can see my $26K, 3.01% 3Mo CD. Pretty quick turn-around.

rated:
any one notice there is a 6 month CD at 3% now?

rated:
mooingmooseman said:   any one notice there is a 6 month CD at 3% now?
  Where? I don't see it on their website. 

rated:
If you click through the options for share certificates in the application, you will see it. I think it was at the top or near the top.

rated:
Looks like the 6 month one has a 15k maximum deposit.

rated:
They have a max transfer from an external account of $1000. How do you get around this - wait until the Share Savings account is created, then ACH into it, then open up the CD?

rated:
The one thing I really hate about Andrews, is that even after their recent (a year or two ago) website update...the website still sucks ass. Irrelevant to this deal, just felt like bitching.

rated:
Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to upload .PDF files (Driver's License, Utility Bill, etc.) during the membership process?

Every time I try to upload a file I get the following error message... PDF IS NOT VALID AND CANNOT BE PROCESSED.

I know for a fact that the files I'm trying to upload are fine, because I've uploaded them to other sites with no problem at all.

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to upload .PDF files (Driver's License, Utility Bill, etc.) during the membership process?

Every time I try to upload a file I get the following error message... PDF IS NOT VALID AND CANNOT BE PROCESSED.

I know for a fact that the files I'm trying to upload are fine, because I've uploaded them to other sites with no problem at all.

I had the same problem when I tried.  So, I faxed the DL, Utility bill,  etc.  Goes easily & quickly. (ATTN, Online Application, Andrews FCU, (301)702 5334)

rated:
  Not at the location we are talking about.
Its a grand opening event at a branch .
not open to everybody nation
DepositAccounts.com for the info.

rated:
castaline said:   
  Not at the location we are talking about.
Its a grand opening event at a branch .
not open to everybody nation
DepositAccounts.com for the info.

I'm not addressing your post, or commenting on it, directly.  But I can offer an observation possibly related (or not) to what you wrote:

The relationship between Andrews HQ and the various Andrews branches in not entirely straightforward.  I would offer this counsel, which is based on personal experience:

In order to learn what opportunities for good deals exist at the various Andrews branches, you must telephone the branch and speak with a person there.  My suggestion is to speak with the branch manager, however I also found lower level branch employees to be friendly, helpful, and knowledgable.

Should you discover opportunity for profit there, or even if you merely feel more comfortable dealing at the branch level, doing so is easy through use of the USPS.  Finally, even if you pursue a relationship with Andrews at the branch level, you will still find Andrews HQ denizens more than willing to assist you when you call the HQ number. 

rated:
i applied yesterday but i don't think i'll be able to make the cutoff...

they still have not approved, and even after they approve i would need to fund the account

rated:
mooingmooseman said:   i applied yesterday but i don't think i'll be able to make the cutoff...

they still have not approved, and even after they approve i would need to fund the account

Do not despair.  You still might make it.  But even if not, do what I did:

I applied for an Andrews membership weeks prior to this deal becoming known.  Did it because it is a good membership to have in reserve.  Andrews is known for offering special deals from time to time.  It is best already to be a member when that happens.

I hope you do not.  But even if you fall short and run out of time this go-round, hang onto your membership and take care of it.  Then you will be well positioned when the next great Andrews deal comes along.  And it will.

Skipping 41 Messages...
rated:
is there limit on the number of Promo CD's you can open ?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016