• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi All,

Got an email from creditkarma a few days ago saying I had a new hard inquiry on my report. I checked today and saw a hard inquiry on my TransUnion report from SYNCB/Amazon. Turns out its an Amazon store card via Synchrony Bank. 

This wasn't me opening a card so it has to be fraudulent. I called Amazon, filed a fraud claim, and they submitted a request to TransUnion to remove the hard inquiry. Whoever opened the account had access to my social (confirmed by Amazon that applicant needed access to my SSN for the hard inquiry to show on my report), and had access to my address as well as name.

What can/should I do to protect myself going forward? What damages can whoever has my information do? Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sorry to hear the news. I believe you can get a police report and depending on the state you live in you may be able to get a free credit freeze.

rated:
I wonder if what happened to the OP was due to whatever caused the OP of the following thread to get a new Chase Amazon card:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1535611

rated:
You need to figure out if someone fat fingered the social, or if they attempted identity theft.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   You need to figure out if someone fat fingered the social, or if they attempted identity theft.
  And how does someone figure out what happened?

rated:
stanolshefski said:   You need to figure out if someone fat fingered the social, or if they attempted identity theft.

Almost certain its identity theft as whoever tried to open the car provided my adddress as well. I received a snail mail from Amazon saying they needed to confirm additonal details before account could be opened (Amazon put a hold on the app thankfully as they thought something was odd). I asked the rep if the applicant would have needed to put my address in for me to receive that and she said yes.

rated:
You need to put a credit freeze with all three bureaus. It prevents people from opening new credit which can sometimes be a pain but its better than fraud. See more info here: http://www.clark.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

rated:
bpp said:   You need to put a credit freeze with all three bureaus. It prevents people from opening new credit which can sometimes be a pain but its better than fraud. See more info here: http://www.clark.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

Agreed.  Freezes are a pain sometimes when you have a legit need for credit, as you have to unfreeze them first.  But I still think they are the best method to prevent credit apps.

rated:
2FA your Amazon account with mobile phone text verification.

Freeze all 'dem bureaus.

Pray fraudster forgets to change your address and ships you a new iphone 7 plus. (no but seriously, check if your Amazon account had default payment credit cards added/deleted).

rated:
kpc38 said:   Whoever opened the account had access to my social (confirmed by Amazon that applicant needed access to my SSN for the hard inquiry to show on my report), and had access to my address as well as name.

You do not need an SSN to show an Hard Inquiry. But the fraudster might have gotten it from the IRS hack.

Just an FYI.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016