• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Looking at health options for 2017. Bad news is my employer is removing Kaiser from our available plans. I don't like this, but I have no say in it. The good news is they're now offering a very low cost HDHP plan (Anthem) with a HSA. Our Kaiser coverage was $550-ish a month for the family. New HDHP plan will cost us $50 a month. I plan to put the balance ($500 monthly) into the HSA.  I would either elect coverage for the whole family of just for my wife and I with this HDHP plan. 

I like Kasier a lot, but I don't have any choice so now I'll just switch back. A somewhat big issue for me is that my child's PCP is with Kaiser and is very convenient. As far as I can tell there's no way to just pay cash with Kaiser, or use my HDHP plan and go to Kaiser as an out of network provider.  If there is I'd love to know how.

I've found a Catastrophic coverage plan from Kaiser for my child that is $100 a month. It covers all preventative care and 3 unplanned Urgent care/PCP visits per year. The schedule of costs is here.  My questions are:

Is this a stupid idea?
Is there any way to continue going to a Kaiser PCP without Kaiser coverage? (No, I confirmed this directly with Kaiser just now)
Can I pay for the $100 monthly premium with HSA plan dollars?  (No, thanks BrianGa)
Can I put anything paid at Kaiser through the HDHP plan towards our Out of network OOP max? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Is this a stupid idea?
Is there any way to continue going to a Kaiser PCP without Kaiser coverage?
Can I pay for the $100 monthly premium with HSA plan dollars? 
Can I put anything paid at Kaiser through the HDHP plan towards our Out of network OOP max? 

1. You decide if it's worth $1,200/yr. The new plan doesn't have any convenient doctors?
2. Don't know.
3. "Generally, you cannot treat insurance premiums as qualified medical expenses unless the premiums are for [things other than this.]" https://www.hsaresources.com/faq/
4. Can't cite any authority, but I'm pretty positive that premiums wouldn't count towards out of pocket expenses.

rated:
Stubtify said:   
I've found a Catastrophic coverage plan from Kaiser for my child that is $100 a month. It covers all preventative care and 3 unplanned Urgent care/PCP visits per year. The schedule of costs is here.  My questions are:

I can't answer your questions. But people have gotten extremely liberal with the use of the term "catastrophic" in recent years under the ACA. It's ridiculous to consider 3 urgent care visits over the course of a year to be a catastrophe. Catastrophic insurance is supposed to cover absolutely nothing up to high ($20k-ish) deductible, covering regular things defeats the entire purpose and makes them overpriced.

I know you are just using the labels the insurance companies have used, it isn't your fault.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   I can't answer your questions. But people have gotten extremely liberal with the use of the term "catastrophic" in recent years under the ACA. It's ridiculous to consider 3 urgent care visits over the course of a year to be a catastrophe. Catastrophic insurance is supposed to cover absolutely nothing up to high ($20k-ish) deductible, covering regular things defeats the entire purpose and makes them overpriced.

I know you are just using the labels the insurance companies have used, it isn't your fault.

Very good to know. This is a ~$7500 individual deductable/OOP max plan. That sounds pretty catastrophic to me.  From what I know the covering of regular things is mandated for any plan to count as minimum coverage under ACA and avoid taxation penalty. 
rianGa said:   1. You decide if it's worth $1,200/yr. The new plan doesn't have any convenient doctors?

I'm sure it does. But Daughter's doctor is exceptional, and I feel worth the $1200. (less the 3 visits I'm sure we'll use)

rated:
Stubtify said:      I'm sure it does. But Daughter's doctor is exceptional, and I feel worth the $1200. (less the 3 visits I'm sure we'll use)

Then you've answered your own question.

rated:
Yes, BrianGa unless there's some glaring issue I'm going to do this. There's more to my question than "should I do this." 

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶u̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶H̶S̶A̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶i̶r̶s̶.̶g̶o̶v̶/̶p̶u̶b̶/̶i̶r̶s̶-̶p̶d̶f̶/̶p̶5̶0̶2̶.̶p̶d̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶"̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶d̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶d̶"̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶s̶
"̶I̶n̶s̶u̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶s̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶e̶d̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶u̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶c̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶d̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶e̶d̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶u̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶i̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶d̶u̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶"̶ ̶ ̶

W̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶a̶x̶ ̶e̶m̶p̶l̶o̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶f̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶.̶
Nevermind this won't work. I see what they mean now. 

rated:
My first thought was that the child's plan would be coverage disqualifying you from contributing to the HSA, but upon further research it seems like it would be okay since both you and your spouse would only have the HDHP.

There is a risk that your child would need more serious care and their doctor is going to refer you to Kaiser facilities, which would be out-of-network. That's okay if the total amount would be under your deductible anyway, but it could end up costing you a lot more for a serious issue. (Or you'd have to ask to go to a non-Kaiser facility which the doctor may not be as familiar with or be able to coordinate with).

rated:
Stubtify said:   
Glitch99 said:   I can't answer your questions. But people have gotten extremely liberal with the use of the term "catastrophic" in recent years under the ACA. It's ridiculous to consider 3 urgent care visits over the course of a year to be a catastrophe. Catastrophic insurance is supposed to cover absolutely nothing up to high ($20k-ish) deductible, covering regular things defeats the entire purpose and makes them overpriced.

Very good to know. This is a ~$7500 individual deductable/OOP max plan. That sounds pretty catastrophic to me.  From what I know the covering of regular things is mandated for any plan to count as minimum coverage under ACA and avoid taxation penalty. 
rianGa said:   1. You decide if it's worth $1,200/yr. The new plan doesn't have any convenient doctors?
   I'm sure it does. But Daughter's doctor is exceptional, and I feel worth the $1200. (less the 3 visits I'm sure we'll use)

Does your daughter have underlying medical issues?  An otherwise healthy child would just get a annual check-up ($0 out of pocket).  That's one visit.  Let's say the other 2 are sick visits, I can't imagine your out of pocket for those two visits for a Anthem-network provider being more than $150 per visit.  That's a savings of $900 per year if you see an Anthem in-network PCP.

rated:
Child is 100% healthy. May go back on Kaiser in 2018, possibly through a new employer either for myself or my wife. 

Thanks to the advice here I'm leaning towards not doing it anymore. Reading it back helps me see that 1 year at a different doctor isn't a big deal. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016