• filter:

MORE Limited states - New USAA Limitless cash back rewards Visa - 2.5% cash back

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
USAA is slowly rolling out a new USAA Limitless cash back rewards Visa - 2.5% cash back on all purchases.  It started in 4 states LA, KS, ID, NM, but is slowly being expanded to other states.SC, PA and WA.

UPDATED states as of March 29:
AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, ND, NM, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

Members of USAA are encouraged to add more information after they log into their accounts.

One posting I saw said

As for eligibility, if you go to their website and click "join now", there's a little test sort of thing that will tell you if you're eligible or not. If you're married to a veteran/active duty person, for example, you're eligible. If one of your grandparents is a veteran, then you're eligible as long as you have some record of their involvement, etc

Member Summary

USAA logo (32.31kB)
Thanks JW10
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Local credit union.  USAA wouldn't interface with NFCU.

vquasarv (Apr. 12, 2017 @ 12:21p) |

Does Ally work with this? I have Bank of America for my main bank, but they charge $3 each time I make a transfer to an ... (more)

zorbachs (Apr. 20, 2017 @ 3:59p) |

For future reference.....

- Payments take 7 days to reflect on your credit line (payment will show but CL will not increa... (more)

bbr (May. 01, 2017 @ 11:02a) |

March 29 update:
AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, ND, NM, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA
Membership is open to

• Active Military
    Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy.
  • Former Military
    Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable.
  • Family
    Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of members who had auto or property insurance while married and individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.
  • Cadets or Midshipmen
    Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.

Effective August 27, 2013 USAA Federal Savings Bank Closed All Membership to Non-Veterans.  In other words, unless you can connect yourself to someone in your family or have some form of military service, you cannot be a member.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Limitless™ Cashback Rewards Visa Signature® Card

•Featured Reward:Earn 2.5% cash back on credit card purchases when you have a free3 USAA Bank checking (Opens pop-up layer) account with a qualifying direct deposit of at least $1,000 every month.4

a Available in LA, NM, KS, ID, PA, SC and WA.

Hide Details

•Enjoy unlimited cash back on the amount you can earn.
•Earn 1.5% cash back on credit card purchases without a direct deposit.
•Pay no foreign transaction fee when you travel outside of the
United States.

rated:
jtownsucks46 said:   Limitless™ Cashback Rewards Visa Signature® Card

•Featured Reward:Earn 2.5% cash back on credit card purchases when you have a free3 USAA Bank checking (Opens pop-up layer) account with a qualifying direct deposit of at least $1,000 every month.4

Important detail.  So, basically if you value UR at ~$0.015/pt, it's 0.25% higher cash back than the freedom unlimited on non-category spend, but that ties up $1000/mo direct deposit and associated maintenance of checking account.  Nice if you already use their checking account, though.

rated:
FYI, USAA's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

I do have USAA auto insurance but not there checking account.

rated:
Daddio1949 said:   FYI, USAA 's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

I do have USAA auto insurance but not there checking account.

I have a USAA checking account and it is nice.  Interface is great and easy to transfer between accounts.  Plus you get reimbursed $12/month for ATM fees.  I usually keep $1k/month in there anyway so I may have to get this card.  

rated:
Come to California!

rated:
Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?

rated:
sailinlight said:   Come to California!

I want that too.  I would dump the rest of my 1-2% CB cards.

rated:
Daddio1949 said:   FYI, USAA 's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

Caveat emptor. I've been a USAA member for insurance for 48+ years. I had a checking acct at their bank since they opened in the 1980s, but had to close it a few years ago because of extraordinarily poor customer service. (They allowed repeated ACH withdrawals and took no steps to protect my account. There's an old FWF thread about this.)

The only reason I still use USAA for insurance is the SSA and senior SSA distributions reduce my cost by more than half, but even so I am considering dropping them completely. I'm sure this deal will help some people, but beware that USAA customer service is in rapid decline. Check their community feedback pages.

rated:
Customer service is rapidly declining but there are still quite a few compelling reasons to stay with USAA. Basically unlimited fee-free checking accounts. Decent auto insurance rates. Man, you really have me questioning my reasons now. It is so inconvenient to change banks!

rated:
I'm happy with USAA service

Hope they add my state soon

rated:
UncaMikey said:   

Caveat emptor. I've been a USAA member for insurance for 48+ years. I had a checking acct at their bank since they opened in the 1980s, but had to close it a few years ago because of extraordinarily poor customer service. (They allowed repeated ACH withdrawals and took no steps to protect my account. There's an old FWF thread about this.)

The only reason I still use USAA for insurance is the SSA and senior SSA distributions reduce my cost by more than half, but even so I am considering dropping them completely. I'm sure this deal will help some people, but beware that USAA customer service is in rapid decline. Check their community feedback pages.

I agree  customer service is in rapid decline.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?
  No need to game it.
A Qualifying Direct Deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 into your USAA checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an external financial institution.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/?s=hub

rated:
thanks!

rated:
can't wait for CO

rated:
I never found their insurance to be that competitive in TX. I just have Condo insurance and a credit card from them.

rated:
Is a grandparent enough to join? OP and QS seem in conflict but maybe I am overthinking it. If so, any requirements? ie gp must have retired from service, or just been in service for a time.

Thanks in advance

rated:
Anyone have inside scoop on additional states???

edit: FWIW I chatted with customer service today and they have no ETA for NJ but said it would roll out to all states eventually. I have no idea if they know what they are talking about...

rated:
gremln007 said:   Is a grandparent enough to join? OP and QS seem in conflict but maybe I am overthinking it. If so, any requirements? ie gp must have retired from service, or just been in service for a time.

Thanks in advance

I doubt it. membership can be passed from parent to child, but not skipping a generation. That being said, membership is required for only certain products, they will be happy to see if you are eligible.

rated:
citifan said:   Anyone have inside scoop on additional states???

edit: FWIW I chatted with customer service today and they have no ETA for NJ but said it would roll out to all states eventually. I have no idea if they know what they are talking about...

They do.

USAA always rolls out products and updates on a small basis, then extends it, whether it's a new card, app feature, etc. And often, they start with employees as well. But not this time 

rated:
BOFA rewards, if you have brokerage/401K with $100K or over balance (can include 401K rollover account so not that crazy to achieve it) - comes out to flat 2.6% cashback - only drawback is you have to spend that cashback on travel. So basically if you charge a plane ticket on the card, you can get credit for that from your rewards.

rated:
prozario said:   BOFA rewards, if you have brokerage/401K with $100K or over balance (can include 401K rollover account so not that crazy to achieve it) - comes out to flat 2.6% cashback - only drawback is you have to spend that cashback on travel. So basically if you charge a plane ticket on the card, you can get credit for that from your rewards.
  Or you can transfer points to the BOA AAA card, or generate spending on travel in some way such as the Disney program for saving for a vacation (really a saving account, which you can take money out of as well as put money into).

rated:
Just applied and got approved. I'm in GA, btw.

rated:
My mom's dad was in the air force during WW2. He has passed away. My grandfather was in the military and they have both passed. Would either my mom or I be eligible to join based on that parent or grandparennt who is deceased. If so what documentation would be needed. I assume their is no affinity membership through an association or charity?

rated:
USAA Chat said: unfortunately there is no way to convert your current credit card to the Limitless card. However you are always welcome to apply for the Limitless credit card.

FWIW.

rated:
funnybone76 said:   My mom's dad was in the air force during WW2. He has passed away. My grandfather was in the military and they have both passed. Would either my mom or I be eligible to join based on that parent or grandparennt who is deceased. If so what documentation would be needed. I assume their is no affinity membership through an association or charity?
No, and no. Your grandparents would have had to establish membership in order to pass it on to you.

No associations or charities make you eligible for USAA. The only other way to be eligible (aside from military affiliation or being passed down) is to be a full time employee of USAA. And even that (membership level) has been scaled back.

rated:
The OP should edit the original post to reflect  "A USAA bank account with a monthly 1000+ direct deposit is required to earn 2.5% cashback."

http://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/credit_card_limitless_cashback_rewards_terms?akredirect=true 

rated:
But that's pretty easy to work around. They define a direct deposit as basically any electronic transfer (including one you initiate from an external financial institution), so just set up a scheduled transfer from your savings account each month followed by a scheduled transfer back to savings a few days later.

rated:
Are you required to apply or could this be an upgrade on another USAA cc

rated:
From my research, you have to do a separate app. It appears they won't let you convert. However, my state isn't "allowed" yet, so even though this card would be perfect for me (I already have checking w/direct deposit at USAA ), I can't get it yet so can't confirm first-hand.

rated:
I am also in a state where it is not currently available. I spoke with a contact I have at USAA - they advised you would be able to convert but reviews I read contradict this

rated:
Read this thread on myFICO Forums

If you joined as a partial member between 2009 and 2013, when you only had to be alive to open an account, unless you already have opened a credit card, USAA in all likelihood will not let you open a credit card account.  If you already have a card (I do) you can keep it, but new credit card accounts are now only for full members.  At least that's what I've read on myFICO and Creditboards.

It's always possible they may change their policies in the future, but nobody really knows.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Read this thread on myFICO Forums

If you joined as a partial member between 2009 and 2013, when you only had to be alive to open an account, unless you already have opened a credit card, USAA in all likelihood will not let you open a credit card account.  If you already have a card (I do) you can keep it, but new credit card accounts are now only for full members.  At least that's what I've read on myFICO and Creditboards.

It's always possible they may change their policies in the future, but nobody really knows.

I too am a partial member. I've had one of their AMEX cards for years--I want to say at least since 2006 or 2007. Where did you get the 2009 start year from? Pretty sure I first got my USAA checking account over ten years ago.

Anyway, I live in one of the states this card is available in, and I also get the error screen about being ineligible when I click the button to apply for the card. But I do not get that screen for any of their other credit cards. So I think it's just the Limitless that is restricted to full members for now. Hopefully when/if the pilot program ends and the card becomes available nationally they will lift that restriction.  

rated:
More states added today (20 total now I think...still not mine though )
AL, AZ, CO, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, NV, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

rated:
Opusnbill7 said:   More states added today (20 total now I think...still not mine though )
AL, AZ, CO, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, NV, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

In nevada and not showing on mine

rated:
TX wasn't showing a few weeks ago but is now

rated:
I am also a partial member and I can confirm that the Limitless is the only credit card the system is not allowing me to apply for. It would be nice to know if they ever plan to open it up to partial members, so I know whether to apply to the Preferred Cash Rewards or wait.

rated:
I just talked to them and they said just doing a 1000 transfer in from another bank wouldn't cut it.  Doesn't not seem consistent with the language on their site about "external financial institution."

Anybody have this card and just do a monthly 1000 transfer from another bank to get qualify you for the 2.5%?

Skipping 30 Messages...
rated:
For future reference.....

- Payments take 7 days to reflect on your credit line (payment will show but CL will not increase until 7th day)
- If you are having large transactions denied (when small transactions are being approved), your account may be under a 10 business day review. Phone CSRs will do their best to let the charge go through, but they can't fix it (even if they say they can). Find out when the review started and 10 business days later you should be good. I assume I was flagged when I did $45k in purchases in a 30 day period.
- So far, Paypal is working as a "push" bank

EDIT - For payments made from the USAA checking account, the credit line is increased instantly. Looks like the 7 day hold is just from external accounts.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017