• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
USAA is slowly rolling out a new USAA Limitless cash back rewards Visa - 2.5% cash back on all purchases.  It started in 4 states LA, KS, ID, NM, but is slowly being expanded to other states.SC, PA and WA.
Members of USAA are encouraged to add more information after they log into their accounts.

One posting I saw said

As for eligibility, if you go to their website and click "join now", there's a little test sort of thing that will tell you if you're eligible or not. If you're married to a veteran/active duty person, for example, you're eligible. If one of your grandparents is a veteran, then you're eligible as long as you have some record of their involvement, etc

Member Summary

Membership is open to

• Active Military
    Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy.
  • Former Military
    Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable.
  • Family
    Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of members who had auto or property insurance while married and individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.
  • Cadets or Midshipmen
    Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.

Effective August 27, 2013 USAA Federal Savings Bank Closed All Membership to Non-Veterans.  In other words, unless you can connect yourself to someone in your family or have some form of military service, you cannot be a member.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Limitless™ Cashback Rewards Visa Signature® Card

•Featured Reward:Earn 2.5% cash back on credit card purchases when you have a free3 USAA Bank checking (Opens pop-up layer) account with a qualifying direct deposit of at least $1,000 every month.4

a Available in LA, NM, KS, ID, PA, SC and WA.

Hide Details

•Enjoy unlimited cash back on the amount you can earn.
•Earn 1.5% cash back on credit card purchases without a direct deposit.
•Pay no foreign transaction fee when you travel outside of the
United States.

rated:
jtownsucks46 said:   Limitless™ Cashback Rewards Visa Signature® Card

•Featured Reward:Earn 2.5% cash back on credit card purchases when you have a free3 USAA Bank checking (Opens pop-up layer) account with a qualifying direct deposit of at least $1,000 every month.4

Important detail.  So, basically if you value UR at ~$0.015/pt, it's 0.25% higher cash back than the freedom unlimited on non-category spend, but that ties up $1000/mo direct deposit and associated maintenance of checking account.  Nice if you already use their checking account, though.

rated:
FYI, USAA's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

I do have USAA auto insurance but not there checking account.

rated:
Daddio1949 said:   FYI, USAA 's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

I do have USAA auto insurance but not there checking account.

I have a USAA checking account and it is nice.  Interface is great and easy to transfer between accounts.  Plus you get reimbursed $12/month for ATM fees.  I usually keep $1k/month in there anyway so I may have to get this card.  

rated:
Come to California!

rated:
Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?

rated:
sailinlight said:   Come to California!

I want that too.  I would dump the rest of my 1-2% CB cards.

rated:
Daddio1949 said:   FYI, USAA 's checking account come highly rated by consumer reports.  

Caveat emptor. I've been a USAA member for insurance for 48+ years. I had a checking acct at their bank since they opened in the 1980s, but had to close it a few years ago because of extraordinarily poor customer service. (They allowed repeated ACH withdrawals and took no steps to protect my account. There's an old FWF thread about this.)

The only reason I still use USAA for insurance is the SSA and senior SSA distributions reduce my cost by more than half, but even so I am considering dropping them completely. I'm sure this deal will help some people, but beware that USAA customer service is in rapid decline. Check their community feedback pages.

rated:
Customer service is rapidly declining but there are still quite a few compelling reasons to stay with USAA. Basically unlimited fee-free checking accounts. Decent auto insurance rates. Man, you really have me questioning my reasons now. It is so inconvenient to change banks!

rated:
I'm happy with USAA service

Hope they add my state soon

rated:
UncaMikey said:   

Caveat emptor. I've been a USAA member for insurance for 48+ years. I had a checking acct at their bank since they opened in the 1980s, but had to close it a few years ago because of extraordinarily poor customer service. (They allowed repeated ACH withdrawals and took no steps to protect my account. There's an old FWF thread about this.)

The only reason I still use USAA for insurance is the SSA and senior SSA distributions reduce my cost by more than half, but even so I am considering dropping them completely. I'm sure this deal will help some people, but beware that USAA customer service is in rapid decline. Check their community feedback pages.

I agree  customer service is in rapid decline.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?
  No need to game it.
A Qualifying Direct Deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 into your USAA checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an external financial institution.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Any easy way to game the direct deposit requirement?

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/?s=hub

rated:
thanks!

rated:
can't wait for CO

rated:
I never found their insurance to be that competitive in TX. I just have Condo insurance and a credit card from them.

rated:
Is a grandparent enough to join? OP and QS seem in conflict but maybe I am overthinking it. If so, any requirements? ie gp must have retired from service, or just been in service for a time.

Thanks in advance

rated:
Anyone have inside scoop on additional states???

edit: FWIW I chatted with customer service today and they have no ETA for NJ but said it would roll out to all states eventually. I have no idea if they know what they are talking about...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016