• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am trying to repair our credit and after looking at our credit reports have found out that our HELOC which was charged off by HFC in 2009 now shows up as being charged off by Ditech in April of 2016, who started calling us about that time. We fell behind originally as my husband was injured with multiple fractures in his back and was unable to work for a year. Now I am trying to get our affairs in order as I have Stage 4 Breast Cancer and, even though I am doing well, I would like to get everything straightened out in case things go South for me and I don't want to leave our sons with a pile of debt.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sorry to hear about your illness and glad you're doing well.

Creditboards.com might be a better place to seek assistance for this issue.

rated:
Did you ever come current on the account after the first charge off?

rated:
I dont have advice on the charge off. But your kids are not responsible for your debt if their names are not on the note.

rated:
blok said:   I dont have advice on the charge off. But your kids are not responsible for your debt if their names are not on the note.

No, but the estate would be. So it'll come out of any inheritance.

rated:
bethvassar said:   I am trying to repair our credit and after looking at our credit reports have found out that our HELOC which was charged off by HFC in 2009 now shows up as being charged off by Ditech in April of 2016, who started calling us about that time. We fell behind originally as my husband was injured with multiple fractures in his back and was unable to work for a year. Now I am trying to get our affairs in order as I have Stage 4 Breast Cancer and, even though I am doing well, I would like to get everything straightened out in case things go South for me and I don't want to leave our sons with a pile of debt.

kudos to you just for saying this one sentence: "I would like to get everything straightened out in case things go South for me and I don't want to leave our sons with a pile of debt."
God bless you and sincerely wish you get the strength and health to pull yourself out of both the debt and the cancer

rated:
bethvassar said:   I am trying to repair our credit and after looking at our credit reports have found out that our HELOC which was charged off by HFC in 2009 now shows up as being charged off by Ditech in April of 2016, who started calling us about that time. We fell behind originally as my husband was injured with multiple fractures in his back and was unable to work for a year. Now I am trying to get our affairs in order as I have Stage 4 Breast Cancer and, even though I am doing well, I would like to get everything straightened out in case things go South for me and I don't want to leave our sons with a pile of debt.

Sorry to hear about the situation. And as dover said, Creditboards would be a bigger help.
What I can say though, if it was charged off in 2009 they can't place it on your credit report again as a new charge off. You didn't say if the HELOC is on the current property, so I'm not sure if it's still secured by anything or not (or the effects of a charge off on a secured loan).
Lastly, there's a statute of limitations on how long after last payment a creditor can go after you, which as far as I know does not extend to seven+ years anywhere in the country anymore.

The secured aspect though I'm sure somebody on Crediboards or Codename47 would be able to address better than I can.

rated:
mwarrior said:   

Sorry to hear about the situation. And as dover said, Creditboards would be a bigger help.
What I can say though, if it was charged off in 2009 they can't place it on your credit report again as a new charge off. You didn't say if the HELOC is on the current property, so I'm not sure if it's still secured by anything or not (or the effects of a charge off on a secured loan).
Lastly, there's a statute of limitations on how long after last payment a creditor can go after you, which as far as I know does not extend to seven+ years anywhere in the country anymore.

The secured aspect though I'm sure somebody on Crediboards or Codename47 would be able to address better than I can.

That's why I asked if it was every brought current after the original charge off. I believe, once you become current, you can then initiate new derogatory reporting on the account.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
mwarrior said:   

That's why I asked if it was every brought current after the original charge off. I believe, once you become current, you can then initiate new derogatory reporting on the account.

Agreed. But can a charged off loan that's secured against a property actually be considered charged off if the security still exists?

rated:
It's just an accounting term, the lien isn't affected.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016