• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Is there any credit card issuer in the USA offering "TRUE" chip-and-pin credit card? By "true" I mean the same functionality as the European cards, that is, the PIN is useable in both online and offline terminals, and signature is not required.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Except if you have a Target Mastercard.

LearningCurve (Nov. 26, 2016 @ 1:13p) |

Signature-Preferred is Chip+PIN.

xoneinax (Nov. 26, 2016 @ 2:44p) |

PenFed cards (mentioning them since you suggested PenFed above) do have Chip + PIN functionality, including offline encr... (more)

NEDeals (Nov. 26, 2016 @ 9:58p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
United Nations Federal Credit Union.

I wouldn't get too wound up about having a "true" (PIN is in the chip) card. I've been to Europe a dozen times in the past eight years, used mostly chip and signature cards, and didn't end up sleeping on the streets. Know the PINs anyway, as you still may be prompted to enter them.

rated:
Cards offered by Barclays Bank and Navy Federal Credit Union have true chip and Pin.

You mostly need the PINs if you need to fill up on gas late at night when no one's around to take you. Otherwise, not a big deal. 

rated:
bandyopa said:   Is there any credit card issuer in the USA offering "TRUE" chip-and-pin credit card? By "true" I mean the same functionality as the European cards, that is, the PIN is useable in both online and offline terminals, and signature is not required.

Thanks.

"True" chip-and-pin does NOT require a PIN online, just for point of sale transactions.

Most new US cards are "Chip and sign", which will work in Europe and Canada as well, even at fuel pumps that require the chip to be inserted. Hit "Okay" and done.

slc39: Not true, Chip&Pin is already at many Walmarts and other locations. Most issuers though, as above, still only issue Chip&Sign not Chip&Pin. Once Chip&Pin is switched over on cards, a PIN can be entered wrong with a card a total of 3 times in a row before the chip is locked (3 in a row, doesn't matter if one location or 3 separate locations, and 3 consecutive wrong entries).

The better question for OP though... Is there a specific reason that you require Chip&Pin that Chip&Sign will not work somewhere?

rated:
my diners club MC seems to be chip n pin. it worked at japan rail kiosks that rejected chip n sig card

rated:
mwarrior said:   The better question for OP though... Is there a specific reason that you require Chip&Pin that Chip&Sign will not work somewhere?
  Not OP, but Chip&Sign cards almost never work at unmanned machines in Europe (at least from my experience). 

rated:
I have had it from State Department Federal credit union for several years. They do come in Handy in Europe sometimes - e.g. buying a rail ticket and the regular line was really big but the kiosks were all open. Not sure where it was - I think it was Heathrow connect that only had machines to buy the train ticket - though I think it accepted the regular credit card.

rated:
I can confirm that my (USA) Barclays MasterCard chip and its PIN worked just fine in a French wireless SIM automated kiosk, just recently. It did ask for the PIN, too.

rated:
Penfed cards do chip and pin and no foreign transaction fee.

rated:
I got the Andrews Federal Credit Union card a few months back. It worked just as expected in France and Belgium. Places that needed a PIN like gas stations and kiosks in the train station worked when none of my other cards would.

rated:
so what do you enter when it asks for PIN ?

rated:
My friend travels a lot for work. The company cards are Chip and Pin. They have been for a very long time. He's been all over the place(his passport is well used) and never complained about anyone not taking his company card. I would call my credit card company and explain to them what I needed. I think I would try talking to someone from the side that deals with business accounts so I got someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

rated:
Target, but you can only use it at Target.

rated:
Patelco CU - Mastercard has chip & pin

rated:
DiMAn0684 said:   
mwarrior said:   The better question for OP though... Is there a specific reason that you require Chip&Pin that Chip&Sign will not work somewhere?
  Not OP, but Chip&Sign cards almost never work at unmanned machines in Europe (at least from my experience). 

Correct. Most automated machines in the UK (for example trains) and even some non-automated (a couple of supermarkets) do not work with my chip & signature.

rated:
OP - it may not be advantageous to have Chip and PIN in a situation where a thief obtains or guesses your PIN. Transactions made in this manner may be much more difficult to dispute than compared to Chip and Sign.

Perhaps a case of "be careful what you wish for?"

rated:
mwarrior said:   
bandyopa said:   Is there any credit card issuer in the USA offering "TRUE" chip-and-pin credit card? By "true" I mean the same functionality as the European cards, that is, the PIN is useable in both online and offline terminals, and signature is not required.

Thanks.

"True" chip-and-pin does NOT require a PIN online, just for point of sale transactions.

Oh boy.  The OP said he's (she's) looking for a PIN usable at online terminals.   An online PIN verification transaction has nothing to do with Internet shopping.  It means that the PIN is verified online for a point of sale purchase through the card payment network and checked by the issuing bank.  Conversely, offline PIN verification means that the local terminal  (at the point of sale) checks the PIN and validates it matches the encrypted PIN located on the chip.  No connection is required to the point of sale, and an offline terminal can operate without any connection, under the ocean, aboard an airline without connectivity, in a subway station that isn't wired to banks, etc. 

rated:

Thanks.

PenFed, Andrews, and some other credit unions offer chip and PIN cards.  However they will default to signature verification, if the terminal supports.  My PenFed card will work in offline terminals, as it supports offline PIN verification. 

My USA issued Diners Club only supports PIN verification. It does not support signature verification, which is always surprising in USA restaurants expecting to process your card out of sight. 

The UN federal credit union also issues cards that have PIN priority, if this is really important to you.

But to echo earlier posts, what is your true goal?  A PenFed card will work fine in any situation (but it will be signature priority IF the terminal allows signature.)  If the terminal only supports PIN, you better know your PIN.  And PenFed has no FTF, which is more important in my opinion. 

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   
DiMAn0684 said:   

Correct. Most automated machines in the UK (for example trains) and even some non-automated (a couple of supermarkets) do not work with my chip & signature.

But they will work with e.g. PenFed cards that support both chip and signature (default) and chip and PIN (if terminal doesn't support signature).

Visa and Mastercard policy is to have all terminals support chip and signature in the long term.

rated:
Everyone, I am in Europe right now. Chip and Pin is the norm here. I travel frequently so I like to carry a good Chip and Pin default card. Diners Club MC is a true Chip and Pin, but Diners Club no longer accept new members in the USA (as far as I know). What do you think the best Reward Card (VC or MC) available in the US with Chip and Pin default? Let's compare the Reward vs Annual Fee vs Foreign Transaction Fee of all the Chip and Pins available in the US. Many thanks for all the inputs.

rated:
UNFCU is default chip and pin with offline and online pin ahead of signature.

rated:
bandyopa said:   Everyone, I am in Europe right now. Chip and Pin is the norm here. I travel frequently so I like to carry a good Chip and Pin default card. Diners Club MC is a true Chip and Pin, but Diners Club no longer accept new members in the USA (as far as I know). What do you think the best Reward Card (VC or MC) available in the US with Chip and Pin default? Let's compare the Reward vs Annual Fee vs Foreign Transaction Fee of all the Chip and Pins available in the US. Many thanks for all the inputs.

Their "consumer" cards are not available in the US, but looks like their "professional" ones still are.  Just be aware that what I am reading suggests a rather NASTY 3% FTF.  Bank of Montreal is the servicer in the US now, but the brand is owned by Discover.

Source from their website and  https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/diners-club-ultimate-guide/

rated:
i used the barclays arrival world mastercard in italy as chip and pin and it worked.

rated:
bandyopa said:   Everyone, I am in Europe right now. Chip and Pin is the norm here. I travel frequently so I like to carry a good Chip and Pin default card. Diners Club MC is a true Chip and Pin, but Diners Club no longer accept new members in the USA (as far as I know). What do you think the best Reward Card (VC or MC) available in the US with Chip and Pin default? Let's compare the Reward vs Annual Fee vs Foreign Transaction Fee of all the Chip and Pins available in the US. Many thanks for all the inputs.
Andrews and Pen Fed credit unions have rewards and at least for penfed, no FTF. That's way more important than the default verification method. They both support PIN if your terminal requires it, such as at parking garages and ticket machines. No need to worry about a "default" mode, you will be okay.

rated:
I have a 'true' chip-and-PIN card issued in the US. By that I mean a card that prefers a PIN for purchases in lieu of a signature in all cases. I've used it myself and it prompts for a PIN at places where most people sign and the receipts print out 'signature not required.' No annual fee; decent rewards, but not the best (2 points in various categories of merchants [purchases made at grocery, gas, electronics, household goods, medical and telecommunications retailers], 1 point for the rest). No foreign transaction fee either.

Go here: https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit_cards/choice_rewards to read about it and apply.

You will get a savings account with First Tech Federal Credit Union in the process and you will need to join an affiliate organization for a small one-time fee (like $10 or so) to join it if you are not in the credit union's normal area of membership, but joining that organization then lets you open the account and apply for the credit card with the credit union. Like nearly all small financial institutions, be prepared to receive a direct call from the credit union's loan officer in relation to your application and to provide proof(s) of your employment and income. I did. You will also be asked how much credit you would like to have on the card, and there is no such thing as 'automatic' or 'periodic' credit line increases with smaller financial institutions. I've had it a while, works fine, gives decent rewards you can redeem for gift cards at around .01 per point earned and is definitely chip-and-PIN. If the perfect card (great rewards, no annual and foreign transaction fee and chip-and-PIN) exists, I have been unable to find it. Also the United Nations federal credit union has a chip-and-PIN card, but I believe you have to have a checking account used for at least six months before you can even apply for any of their credit cards.

I hope this is helpful to you.

rated:
On a related note, NatWest (UK) lets customers do the opposite: Request a chip and signature card. I found this link for their debit cards. I think they do the same for credit cards. Having chip and signature is an accessible option, if you're visually impaired, have no fingers, can't remember numbers, etc.

Link: https://www.natwest.com/apps/secure/applicationforms_dda/asp/olaf_form.asp?appid=683

rated:
burgerwars said:   On a related note, NatWest (UK) lets customers do the opposite: Request a chip and signature card. I found this link for their debit cards. I think they do the same for credit cards. Having chip and signature is an accessible option, if you're visually impaired, have no fingers, can't remember numbers, etc.

All uk banks must offer chip and signature cards for the same scenario.

rated:
saradon said:   I have a 'true' chip-and-PIN card issued in the US. By that I mean a card that prefers a PIN for purchases in lieu of a signature in all cases. I've used it myself and it prompts for a PIN at places where most people sign and the receipts print out 'signature not required.'Having a PIN-preferred-no-FTF CC as a last resort backup is not a bad idea, but a more rewarding Signature-Preferred-no-FTF CC(from PenFed or the like) should also be obtained and swiped first.

rated:
xoneinax said:   Having a PIN-preferred-no-FTF CC as a last resort backup is not a bad idea, but a more rewarding Signature-Preferred-no-FTF CC(from PenFed or the like) should also be obtained and swiped first.

Why? I would much rather have chip+pin as in Europe almost all places search frantically for pen when Americans use their cards.

rated:
macdave said:   Target, but you can only use it at Target
  Except if you have a Target Mastercard.

rated:
churningisdead said:   
xoneinax said:   Having a PIN-preferred-no-FTF CC as a last resort backup is not a bad idea, but a more rewarding Signature-Preferred-no-FTF CC(from PenFed or the like) should also be obtained and swiped first.
Why? I would much rather have chip+pin as in Europe almost all places search frantically for pen when Americans use their cards.

rated:
xoneinax said:   
churningisdead said:   

PenFed cards (mentioning them since you suggested PenFed above) do have Chip + PIN functionality, including offline encrypted PIN.  However they will use signature as priority if the terminal allows signature. 

I don't see that as a big deal, and I travel constantly.  If anyone is worried about the merchant not having a pen, put a pen in your pocket. Problem solved.  I'd rather sign and avoid FTF then enter a PIN and pay FTF. 

If you really want PIN only, be prepared to pay either FTF, annual fee, or both.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016