• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Buddy bought a 2012 Diesel passat last year for $11,000. They are buying it back from him with 15k extra miles on it for $16,000 because of the whole Diesel ordeal. 

Is it a good idea to buy qualifying VWs from private sellers to cash in on this thing?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That horse left the stable when the details of the buybacks were announced. The private sellers already know what they will get from VW.

rated:
Too late pal.

Just waiting too sell back my 2012 TDI. It's the only car I've ever had that's appreciated in value!

rated:
I'm keeping mine and might buy another with my cash settlement. I am already profiting by having one.

rated:
Maybe there is still an angle with barely-running or salvage-title cars?

rated:
Salvage title cars lose any remaining factory warranty. I suspect VW might not buy them back, either.

But clean title cars with 400,000 miles on them, or with failed injection systems, or broken timing belts...the owners already gleefully jumped on the VW offer when it came in the mail, sorry.

rated:
zipjob said:   Maybe there is still an angle with barely-running or salvage-title cars?
This has been beaten to a dead horse on the VW TDI forums.  The settlement states that the cars must be registered and able to move under their own power.  There are no other caveats regarding condition.

People on those forums are considering how stripped or damaged the cars could be (myself included) to still allow for successful buy-back.

Unfortunately, if you do not own the car as of June 2016 (I think that is the date), you are SOL and outside the settlement group.

rated:
How long does it take to get paid by VW? You might be able to make some money by paying people more quickly, but probably 3%-5%.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016