• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This thread is going to allow for really good, whole hearted discussion and will stay on topic for multiple pages, I'm looking forward to it.

rated:
vnuts21 said:   This thread is going to allow for really good, whole hearted discussion and will stay on topic for multiple pages, I'm looking forward to it.
  Yes. I wanted to say something funny... Just to be funny ... Nothing more - but I figured someone would take offense.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

rated:
Good news for my ex.

rated:
So when someone called me a bitch, they just meant they admired my earning power. Cool story bro.

rated:
vnuts21 said:   This thread is going to allow for really good, whole hearted discussion and will stay on topic for multiple pages, I'm looking forward to it.
  The sarcasm runs deep in this one...  

OP -- I'm not going to Google it for you, but I've seen articles showing the opposite to be true.  For men, I think it's pretty consistent that taller men make more than shorter.  Other factors, weight, for instance, don't seem to have as strong of a correlation.  

Me?  I've been on a rack since 1985.  I was 5' 4 then.  I'm now 6' 3" but can't walk or even stand up.  

rated:
debentureboy said:   
For men, I think it's pretty consistent that taller men make more than shorter.  Other factors, weight, for instance, don't seem to have as strong of a correlation.  

Me?  I've been on a rack since 1985.  I was 5' 4 then.  I'm now 6' 3" but can't walk or even stand up.  

But, on the bright side, you can eat as much as you want! 

rated:
Hilarious they keep feeding the false narratives. They never learn even after Nov 8.

rated:
I think this applies to men too. I have never met a truly nice person who makes tons of money, I am talking about much more than $200k per year. Some really rich people seem nice in public, but they are not in private.

rated:
Read article.

Actual takeaway is this: Don't be a doormat.

That's much different than "Don't be nice."

rated:
For Women, the Nicer You look, the more Money You Make..wakka wakka

rated:
TheDealMaker said:   I think this applies to men too. I have never met a truly nice person who makes tons of money, I am talking about much more than $200k per year. Some really rich people seem nice in public, but they are not in private.
  I would beg to differ. Lots of decent doctors and surgeons make more than this, yet they are average decent people who just happen to work 24/7.

Once you get above $500K, though, I would (mostly) agree. Those people aren't making their money by working, but by taking it from others. You (usually) don't become a CEO of a successful company by being nice. The company wouldn't be competitive very long. It's just the nature of business, where the bottom line is king and ethics is not even considered.
There are obvious exceptions though. Look at philanthropists like Bill Gates.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
TheDealMaker said:   I think this applies to men too. I have never met a truly nice person who makes tons of money, I am talking about much more than $200k per year. Some really rich people seem nice in public, but they are not in private.
  I would beg to differ. Lots of decent doctors and surgeons make more than this, yet they are average decent people who just happen to work 24/7.

Once you get above $500K, though, I would (mostly) agree. Those people aren't making their money by working, but by taking it from others. You (usually) don't become a CEO of a successful company by being nice. The company wouldn't be competitive very long. It's just the nature of business, where the bottom line is king and ethics is not even considered.

I suspect that the reason many wealthy are philanthropists in their retirement is because of guilt for how they earned the money.  Bill earned that money by taking fairly smart and ruthless advantage of the marketplace.   (and assuredly WORKS many hours a day compared to most)  He lives a good life because of it, his philanthropy isn't affecting his quality of life...at ALL.  He just realized he can't take it with him and didn't feel that he needed to pass it ALL down to his heirs.

I respect what the dude is doing, however.

rated:
Meh, true for men too. Slumlords and finance people both make better money than doctors. Social workers, teachers, and volunteers make the least. The study controlled for education and experience, but people with a hard mindset probably pursue more lucrative fields to begin with.

rated:
With very few exceptions, you'll do best for yourself by striking a balance, neither doormat nor jerk. Allowing people to take advantage of you is not conducive to success, but (provided you aren't protected by powerful cronies) neither is taking advantage of people, in the long run.

rated:
IMBoring25 said:   With very few exceptions, you'll do best for yourself by striking a balance, neither doormat nor jerk. Allowing people to take advantage of you is not conducive to success, but (provided you aren't protected by powerful cronies) neither is taking advantage of people, in the long run.

Agreed. There was a b*tchy manager in our company who'd literally made some of her employees cry and got away with it because she was cosy with the group head. She was delivering results so she had his back (I think he had her back too 😜. A total power trip. But once the recession hit and the department closed she had no where to go because she had no college degree. Recently I ran into her at another company where she's an admin assistant.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
canoeguy1 said:   

I suspect that the reason many wealthy are philanthropists in their retirement is because of guilt for how they earned the money.  Bill earned that money by taking fairly smart and ruthless advantage of the marketplace.   (and assuredly WORKS many hours a day compared to most)  He lives a good life because of it, his philanthropy isn't affecting his quality of life...at ALL.  He just realized he can't take it with him and didn't feel that he needed to pass it ALL down to his heirs.

I respect what the dude is doing, however.

No, it's not about guilt.  A lot of these CEOs are psychopath, psychopath doesn't have guilt.  I think they want to buy respect.  After retirement, they miss being the boss and the attention.  Fundraising or having a charity let them be boss again.  The funny thing is that it makes the world a better place if they do it correctly.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016