• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Asking help from the community to help me decide. Looking to get max equity out of my house.
Assuming the money I take out from the refinance could earn minimum of 8% per year.

Primary Residence Value: $1MM
First Mortgage: $400K  - 30yr fixed at 3.375%  (Monthly payment ~ $1850) obtained in 2013
2nd Mortgage: $160K  -- 15yr fixed at 3.5%  (Monthly payment ~$1275) obtained in 2014

I had the opportunity of locking the rate for cash-out refinance in October 2016 for 3.5% for a $750K loan, I started the process and didn't lock the rate. The rate is now 3.875%.
I called HFCU and a few other credit unions and banks if they would give me a HELOC as 3rd lien position at 100 LTV and all of them declined. HFCU can do 100% LTV at Prime + 1.5% but would require 2nd lien position and max loan of $500K

My options:
1. Refi 750K @ 3.875% and get $250K HELOC from HFCU at Prime + 1.5%
2. Keep first mortgage as-is and refi the 2nd mortgage into a $500K HELOC from HFCU at Prime + 1.5%
3. Do nothing.
4. Any other ideas?

Additionally, do you know of any bank or credit union who would give me a HELOC at 100% LTV at a 3rd lien position?

Thank you in advance for your help

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Forget getting opinions... tell us how you are planning to get 8% minimum...

rated:
BigFatCat said:   Forget getting opinions... tell us how you are planning to get 8% minimum...
  In for this answer as well!

rated:
100% financing on a million dollar house? Are we back to the good old days of the last decade.

rated:
Do nothing

rated:
At least OP can say he lives in a +$1MM home.

rated:
speedracer714 said:   At least OP can say he lives in a +$1MM home.

$1MM gets 1 bedroom apartment in NYC just saying.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016