• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I've lived in a few different states and ordered hundreds of orders online but google express seems to have some serious issues.

I ordered some led bulbs from Costco with a google coupon and my pretax amount after coupon was $5.97 - I was charged $4.97 in sales taxes.

After talking with google they said they charge sales taxes based upon where the order is delivered from (Chicago which is the highest in the country) not where I have it shipped to. Also the light bulbs were on sale by Costco so they charged the sales tax on the original msrp. I've never heard of either of these before??

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That's how both work. Google "buys" the items from Costco, so sales tax is charged based on the physical Costco's location. Most of Costco's coupons are manufacturers' coupons, which are applied after tax.

rated:
3c3 said:   That's how both work. Google "buys" the items from Costco, so sales tax is charged based on the physical Costco's location. Most of Costco's coupons are manufacturers' coupons, which are applied after tax.

So from a customer experience standpoint why would google use a Chicago base Costco vs someplace with lower sales taxes?

rated:
Tax shouldn't be charged on original MSRP, it should be calculated based on your final out of pocket cost. I would probe a bit further. Are you sure it wasnt a hidden shipping cost?

rated:
costco does it (charges taxes before coupon). However as per california laws, that is not legal.

rated:
After a quick search this is apparently okay in many states,

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1173320

I guess check your state.

rated:
MeraNamJoker said:   costco does it (charges taxes before coupon). However as per california laws, that is not legal.

Maybe you should read the law first: https://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub113/

Manufacturer coupons are paper or paperless coupons allowing customers to receive a percentage or amount off the advertised selling price when purchasing the manufacturer’s product. If you accept manufacturer coupons, amounts paid by manufacturers to reimburse you for the value of the manufacturer’s coupons are included in your total taxable sales when the sale is subject to tax.

rated:
nic3456 said:   So from a customer experience standpoint why would google use a Chicago base Costco vs someplace with lower sales taxes?

Availabilities of the item and delivery service, or simply random assignment. My 3 orders of Google Express/Staples from the same day came from 2 different Staples.

rated:
Generally if its a store issued coupon, then you dont pay tax on that amount. But if its a manufacturers coupon you are required to pay tax.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016