• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My Kia Rio 2014 (30000 miles) is my first new car after driving old cars. After all these years with old cars I think I am pretty good with understanding how a car works. I also have a mechanic close to me who is very competent and affordable. I was under the impression that in order to keep the warranty I have to go to a dealer for service. But it seems with every service the price goes higher and they always try to sell "premium" packages with questionable stuff like injection cleaner.

I am starting to wonder whether it's really true that I have to go to a dealer to keep the warranty. Or can I just go to my trusted mechanic?

Does anybody what the situation is?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
hmastic said:   I am starting to wonder whether it's really true that I have to go to a dealer to keep the warranty. Or can I just go to my trusted mechanic?
 
You just have to keep detailed and verifiable records.

rated:
I always go to my well trusted mechanic. Like xoneinax said, keep detailed records including parts used, service completed and mileage. Make sure you do services on the appropriate mileage schedule provided by your dealer. Regardless of what you do, check in with your dealer every so often or any Kia Rio dealer for the purpose checking if your car has had any manufacturer recalls.

Monitor websites like:

 http://www.carcomplaints.com/Kia/Rio/2014/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchT...

rated:
No, you do not have to use the dealer. HOWEVER if something goes wrong like a frozen engine, you better have records that you did oil changes or they will void it.

rated:
No, you don't need dealer maintenance.
Check out the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

rated:
The fine print in my GM warranty says that having maintenance done by a non-GM certificated mechanic will void the warranty.  This is of questionable legality.

 

rated:
BradMajors said:   The fine print in my GM warranty says that having maintenance done by a non-GM certificated mechanic will void the warranty.  This is of questionable legality.

 

  It never occurred to me to read the Kia warranty . I guess I should do that..

rated:
BradMajors said:   The fine print in my GM warranty says that having maintenance done by a non-GM certificated mechanic will void the warranty.  This is of questionable legality.

 

  Unless they are saying they won't warranty the specific repairs done by that mechanic, then it's just completely illegal. 

rated:
No, you don't have to go to the manufacturer or its dealers for service to keep your warranty. That is your right under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637). However, if the service is offered free of charge, then you will need to use the free service.

rated:
BradMajors said:   The fine print in my GM warranty says that having maintenance done by a non-GM certificated mechanic will void the warranty.  
  Sure you read that right? Then everyone who gets a Jiffylube oil change will void their warranty. Think it probably says, all warranty repairs must be done at a GM dealer.

rated:
atikovi said:   
BradMajors said:   The fine print in my GM warranty says that having maintenance done by a non-GM certificated mechanic will void the warranty.  
  Sure you read that right? Then everyone who gets a Jiffylube oil change will void their warranty. Think it probably says, all warranty repairs must be done at a GM dealer.

  Yeah, the warranty coverage is only good at the dealers.

rated:

sludge (603.77kB)
Disclaimer
Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)

rated:
atikovi said:   Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)
  I've seen the video where the guy had to use a screw driver to clean up all that crap.

Having Jiffy lube changing your oil DOES void the warranty, on the oil plug
 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)
  I've seen the video where the guy had to use a screw driver to clean up all that crap.

  Screwdriver, q-tips, forceps, probes, picks. Took me probably 15 hours for both sides and under front cover. 

rated:
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)
  I've seen the video where the guy had to use a screw driver to clean up all that crap.

  Screwdriver, q-tips, forceps, probes, picks. Took me probably 15 hours for both sides and under front cover. 

  So what's the additional part of the story?  50000 miles on it in 1 1/2 years, all while driven on dirt roads?  What was the maintenance schedule for oil changes on it -- every 3000 miles or every 7000 or every 10000?

Many vehicles are now mfr recommended/rated 10k miles/1yr for oil change.  My 7 year old vehicle is, regardless of the fact that the dealer will slap a sticker on there adding 5k miles after each oil change (or 3k, but that only happened once...).

rated:
Bend3r said:   
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)
  I've seen the video where the guy had to use a screw driver to clean up all that crap.

  Screwdriver, q-tips, forceps, probes, picks. Took me probably 15 hours for both sides and under front cover. 

  So what's the additional part of the story?  50000 miles on it in 1 1/2 years, all while driven on dirt roads?  What was the maintenance schedule for oil changes on it -- every 3000 miles or every 7000 or every 10000?

Many vehicles are now mfr recommended/rated 10k miles/1yr for oil change.  My 7 year old vehicle is, regardless of the fact that the dealer will slap a sticker on there adding 5k miles after each oil change (or 3k, but that only happened once...).

This was back in 2010 when GM had 100,000 mile warranties. Car had 93,000 miles so it must have been a real early '09. Just got it, and took it in to the dealer for a check engine light. Dealer said it needed timing chains and that warranty would cover it no problem. The next day they call me back saying after a valve cover was pulled they found the engine sludged up and warranty won't cover it. Looked like they never changed the oil.

rated:
Thanks, just was figuring it wasn't the "typical new car at 1 1/2 years without oil change". 93000 miles is 6+ years for average driver. That is insane with no oil change. Plus from someone driving so much and not knowing any better...

rated:
taxmantoo said:   No, you don't need dealer maintenance.
Check out the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

  True and not true.
Some dealers offer additional lifetime engine warranty's for free IF you follow there service schedule which is they do they maintenance, including tire rotations etc.
Yes if you miss a tire rotation they can invalidate it.  Its the fine print you need to read.

rated:
There is also something known as "goodwill" which means if you ever have an issue after the warranty expires, then the dealer and the manufacturer will eat 25% to 100% of the cost depending upon different factors. I know this for a fact at-least with Toyota & Nissan and probably the others as well. Generally speaking it's not the engine you'd need "goodwill" on either, but a plethora of other potential issues that can be costly, thus you have to factor this hidden benefit into your equation.

Note, this doesn't mean you need to agree to every recommendation, e.g. "injection cleaning", or whatever, but just go for oil changes and the like. Dealers have become more competitive and often will be very close to places like Pep-Boys, etc. In my experience dealers will also take care of little things as a courtesy while in for routine maintenance, e.g., tail, signal, light bulb which may have gone unnoticed and also lead to a ticket.

I estimate it costs me an extra ~$50 per year, all things considered to have the dealer service the vehicle, so in my opinion it's cheap "insurance". YMMV

rated:
As long as you follow the service requirements and document proof that you did them, dealers can claim whatever they want but if push comes to shove they'd lose.

As NEdeals and taxman said, the Magnuson Moss Act prevents a dealer from voiding a warranty if service was done from a non-dealer, even if you did every oil change in your garage, so long as it's provable. The exception is of course if the dealer offers those services for free THEN they can say "well you didn't do these required free services".

Additionally, there's the "what caused it" issue. Example being of course say you install a supercharger and your engine blows, they will claim "you installed a supercharger, engine warranty void", whereas according to the law they need to prove that it WAS the supercharger.

I've had a dealer try telling me that because I installed aftermarket springs that my "entire suspension and brake warranty is void". Service manager was unaware that he had to PROVE the suspension caused the issue (a seized caliper), and claimed "no such act exists, at least not in America".

Had a dealer (AND manufacturer rep) for another brand try telling me that since they got an "updated service schedule recommendation" 2 years after I bought my vehicle that I didn't follow so brake warranty void... judge didn't see too kindly on that one when they couldn't prove that they informed customers about that new service guideline (and the owner's manual for the same vehicle two model years later didn't have it either).

Just make sure the service recommendations in the manual are followed and you should be good. If it gets expensive then push comes to shove and you'll probably win if you follow the service guideline with the vehicle, and document your service.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Bend3r said:   
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   Now if you don't change your oil at all, then you definitely will void the warranty. (1 1/2 year old Cadillac)
  I've seen the video where the guy had to use a screw driver to clean up all that crap.

  Screwdriver, q-tips, forceps, probes, picks. Took me probably 15 hours for both sides and under front cover. 

  So what's the additional part of the story?  50000 miles on it in 1 1/2 years, all while driven on dirt roads?  What was the maintenance schedule for oil changes on it -- every 3000 miles or every 7000 or every 10000?

Many vehicles are now mfr recommended/rated 10k miles/1yr for oil change.  My 7 year old vehicle is, regardless of the fact that the dealer will slap a sticker on there adding 5k miles after each oil change (or 3k, but that only happened once...).

This was back in 2010 when GM had 100,000 mile warranties. Car had 93,000 miles so it must have been a real early '09. Just got it, and took it in to the dealer for a check engine light. Dealer said it needed timing chains and that warranty would cover it no problem. The next day they call me back saying after a valve cover was pulled they found the engine sludged up and warranty won't cover it. Looked like they never changed the oil.

  
Not sure if GM is on the list, but there are a lot of cars that had sludge issues (Dodge/Chrysler, Audi/VW).  The manufacturers kept denying claims and blaming their victims/customers.  Several class action lawsuits later, the manufacturers finally admitted that their engines were susceptible to sludging even when oil changes were done according to schedule.  The Chrysler 2.7L engine from 1998-2004 era was especially bad, and they eventually created some fixes for the problem, although too late for many.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016